Dear Giant...

Iwan Kemp

By now we have all heard, read, discussed, hashed, rehashed and argued 27.5 vs 29, 29 vs 26, the death of 29er the advent of 36" and all the other nonsense. Watched this video titled "650b Mountain Bikes and the Death of 26"?" Monday night. Some interesting insights (like Trek's opinion on the advantage of 650b over 26" only kicking in from around 140mm travel) and nice,balanced views. Except for Giant Bikes. How disappointing to have to listen that much crap out of the mouth of one guy.

How can it be that everybody else can have a balanced view and perspective on the market as it is and will be?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giant are struggling. They are not selling the numbers anymore. Now the marketing department has to come up with clever ideas.

Giant are struggling. They are not selling the numbers anymore. Now the marketing department has to come up with clever ideas.

I hope they improve on their paint job designs!!

that it's utter rubbish goes without saying: but i think the rubbish stems from them having to dream up a justification to buy wholesale (on the paying public's behalf) into a new means of leveraging open your wallet. Once bitten, twice shy. Ithink everyone learnt their lesson with neiners. The 'more reasonableness' of 650b is a proper cash cow which everyone has a hand in milking. Everyone's selling the kool-aid, except Giant is properly drinking some of it themselves..

On the contrary Schalk, they're actually doing damn well. It's just that they're having to justify the move away from 26 in all but their DH bikes.

That justification is tenuous at best

Except for Giant Bikes. How disappointing to have to listen that much crap out of the mouth of one guy.

Agreed.

Giant have gone the route that I have belittled for years:

They say 650B is lighter than 29 (I say 650B is heavier than 26)

They say 650B has more grip than 26 (I say 650B has less grip than 29)

Etc etc.

Giant cherry pick the advantages of 650B over 26 and 650B over 29 without bothering with the fact that equal and opposite is also true.

Giant have got the 26, 650B, 29 debate absolutely wrong. Full on market speak with zilch thought.

It's really sad for a company that big that make some fantastic bikes.

Anyone want to buy my old 29er Giant XTC? It's a soon to be collectors item ;-)

I reckon Giant will be making 29er again in 2015.

They make some damned good 26" bikes, thinking of the Trance and Reign, they should keep these in 26" too.

Like the German guy!!! Makes a lot of sense, even though he's obviously struggling to get his ideas across in exactly the way he wants it.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying they make junk bikes. I'm just gatvol of all the crap out there and that stint on the mic by Mr Giant is probably the worse I've seen or heard. We get that each wheel size has it's advantages and disadvantages. Roll with that.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying they make junk bikes. I'm just gatvol of all the crap out there and that stint on the mic by Mr Giant is probably the worse I've seen or heard. We get that each wheel size has it's advantages and disadvantages. Roll with that.

Ding ding! We have a winner. It all sounds so easy when youo say that :-)

"What do you get when you combine the quickness and agility of Anthem X with the stability and control of 29-inch wheels? You get this, the bike that has won the hearts of even the purest XC speed freaks. It was developed with Giant XC pros and has scored big-time wins. Featuring a lightweight FluidForm ALUXX SL frameset with Maestro Suspension, an OverDrive 2* oversize headtube and PowerCore bottom bracket-plus the confident handling of 29-inch wheels-Anthem X 29er is Mr. Versatility."

- Giant on the Anthem X 29er, 2012 / 2013

"The newest member of the award-winning Trance X family is this all-new 29er. The premium ALUXX SL frameset has been tuned to match the performance benefits of lager 29-inch wheels. At its core: proven Maestro Suspension plus a host of frame technologies including the OverDrive 2 steerer tube and PowerCore bottom bracket. Whether you’re climbing or descending, pinning it at speed or crawling through technical terrain, there’s no better way to own the trail."

"Everything you love about the original Trance X trail bike—handcrafted ALUXX SL aluminum frame, trail-taming Maestro Suspension and stable geometry—re-engineered for 29-inch wheels. Smoother, faster, always in control."

- Giant on the Trance 29er, 2013

Archived