Tubeless options

El Scorcho

So after spending about 1h30 on the side of the trail today fixing 4 different flats that I got (in addition to the 3 that a friend got yesterday), I think it's time I converted to tubeless.

Been doing a bit of reading but I though I'd ask anyway to get more relevant answers.

As far as I can see, my options are UST wheels/rims + tyres, or converting my existing rims/tyres with tape and Stan's.

1. Am I wrong in saying that UST is the easier, more reliable, way to do this, with the downside being cost? If so, how much am I looking at?

2. How easy is it to maintain a setup using Stan's? How reliable is this solution vs. a UST setup?

3. Any other things I should know?

I'm really after a fit and forget solution here, I weigh about 78kg and don't ride anything too technical - I usually do the blue/red route at Northern Farms for reference. I'm riding a 29er hardtail if that makes any difference, and not really bothered about additional weight if it means I'm not spending half my time fiddling with tyre levers and bombs on the side of the trail.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A set of very similar questions were posed by user Uni that will more than likely answer all your questions as well. I just can't find it. Hopefully, someone else can assist with finding that thread for you.

I highly recommend you read through it.

edit: here you go!

Edited by Capricorn

1. Take your wheels to a bike shop and ask for a Stan's conversion. It should run you about R500.

2. Ride your bike

3. After about 6 months you'll probably want them to top your wheels up (Stan's dries up after about 6 months, so punctures won't seal).

I haven't had a puncture for SEVEN years. Despite riding through thorn fields every summer.

Is it really that easy? Just top up sealant every 6 months?

What would be the best tyres to get assuming I went with the Stan's conversion?

The easy option is drop the bike at your LBS. Pickup later and the job is done.

The DIY option is very self satisfying. Be it ghetto or with a kit. You Tube is your friend.

IMO nothing comes close to Stans. Ive tried other sealants but always go back to Stans.

Enjoy!

Is it really that easy? Just top up sealant every 6 months?

What would be the best tyres to get assuming I went with the Stan's conversion?

Im a Conti man, but rocket rons are apparently good. There are so many options. go have a look at your LBS

Tubeless can go wrong as well, but certainly less hassles that tubes. Just ride with a Plan B and C prepared.Sometimes you need a Plan D as well.

Tubeless can go wrong as well, but certainly less hassles that tubes. Just ride with a Plan B and C prepared.Sometimes you need a Plan D as well.

After today I never want to see another tube or patch kit again...

Will still carry a spare tube just in case, seems like that's a better option than a long hike back to my car!

Will still carry a spare tube just in case, seems like that's a better option than a long hike back to my car!

If you cant go tubeless at once pop some stans in those tubes. The stuff is amazing.

Spare tube(s), puncture kits, plugs, pump, and last resort Repair Inflater is what I ride the marathons with.

If you need to put a tube in just remember to run your fingers around the inside of the tyre to locate any thorns that might be there, that will cause you much grief if you don't take them out before the tube.

Edited by kosmonooit

Asked about this at my LBS and they said that ghetto causes less problems. Still haven't torn out my rim tape and replaced it, but might consider it one day. A couple hundred rand cheaper at any rate.

Spare tube(s), puncture kits, plugs, pump, and last resort Repair Inflater is what I ride the marathons with.

If you need to put a tube in just remember to run your fingers around the inside of the tyre to locate any thorns that might be there, that will cause you much grief if you don't take them out before the tube.

I did this today and still could not stop the tube from deflating. My guess is that the patch kit I had just wasn't sealing the tube under weight - I've patched tubes before with a different kit with no issues.

Edited by El Scorcho

Or you could hook up with some roadies, they are VERY experienced at fixing flats!

Seriously though: Don't try to use non-UST tyres as tubeless, they are a bugger to inflate if you don't have a high pressure pump (i.e. the local Caltex) and don't have a strong enough side wall if you go techie.

As for tyres, the Maxxis Ikon is a great option for weight and grip, but quite honestly, any brand name is good. Don't go for the very cheap options in tyres, they disintigrate after a while. Vredestein, Conti, Schwalbe all are good.

I did this today and still could not stop the tube from deflating. My guess is that the patch kit I had just wasn't sealing the tube under weight - I've patched tubes before with a different kit with no issues.

Yup without water to test the leaks / patch its blind faith almost - but keeping the patching skills current is a good idea: prepare the area to be patched (sandpaper/rougher thing) make sure its dry, adhesive and patches are the best solution, those self-adhesive patches are hit and/or miss. Happened to me on the VG marathon recently: 7 patches were not enough, I was cursed.

Edited by kosmonooit

and don't have a strong enough side wall if you go techie.

That's BS. Most manufacturers these days make some kind of "tubeless ready" tyre that has sidewalls that are plenty strong for most people. I've had great success with Bontrager and Specialized tyres that fit this description, and there's probably a few thousand people that have run plain old Maxxis Crossmarks through a Cape Epic with no problems.