Cape Town Giants at Durbanville HS FUNRIDE!

lucmccann

As CTG was given the opportunity to respond so should the OP. He might have had a good reason for missing the meeting.

No doubt.

Could he ask for postponement to a favourable time for him to represent himself formally? Of course.

His witness status is important to the process.

Hmmm

Edited by ' Dale

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt.

Could he ask for postponement to a favourable time for him to represent himself formally? Of course.

His witness status is important to the process.

Hmmm

I do agree he needed to be there after making the allegations.

As always there 3 sides to any story OP, CTG and the truth in the middle.

No one is coming out of this looking good.

Not attending the meeting was a serious faux pas IMHO .....

Yip

It discredits luccmann and brings his account into question.

Facing the club and it's procedural course after his complaints to the cycling public here was an important responsibility, I reckon.

The CTG official reply essentially exonerates themselves, rather predictably!

The fact that the OP couldn't or wouldn't attend for whatever reason at the drop of a hat to appease the club and its procedures doesn't call the OP's account of events into question. This and tales of similar behaviour by CTG club riders from other hubbers tells the bigger story.

The club hastily called a meeting at their own convenience. Did they give him a choice of dates, times and venues, or "summons" him dictatorially to their own playground? Why the rush to hold a meeting? Surely a delay of a day or two wouldn't have made a difference. Smacks of a whitewash. IMHO, of course.

Morning guys,

Been a bit busy the last few days to visit this thread as often as I would like.

Unfortunately, because of the short notice I wasn't able to attend the meeting that evening, i'm an independent digital marketing consultant so evenings are normally when the most crucial aspects of projects need to be handled.

(EDIT: I had less than 4 hours from receiving the notice of the meeting to reschedule my evenings business, prepare for this meeting, as well as travel the almost 50kms...unfortunately my paying clients would come first.)

I am very happy that the meeting went ahead and the issues were raised and appreciate their feedback, however a little disappointed that no responsibility for any of the instances mentioned in this thread was taken.

As the Cape Town Giants are a development club that receive funding from the PPA I will be providing the information I have collated from various people and providing it to them, I will CC Cape Town Giants in all communication. It will be up to PPA if they wish to handle this in any further way.

I started this thread just to bring my personal experiences forward to everyone.

Dale, a little disappointed you feel that way considering we've met and had several conversations after rides.

I hope all future dealings with this club are of a positive nature.

Edited by lucmccann

Unfortunately, because of the short notice I wasn't able to attend the meeting that evening, i'm an independent digital marketing consultant so evenings are normally when the most crucial aspects of projects need to be handled.

(EDIT: I had less than 4 hours from receiving the notice of the meeting to reschedule my evenings business, prepare for this meeting, as well as travel to the almost 50kms...unfortunately my paying clients would come first.)

Considering the notice you were given your post is well measured and polite

Impressive I would of been swearing.

Personally i think one man in front of an entire club will only end in the one man being shot down (not literally) and he will get nowhere.

Just my 2 cents

Agree - unreasonable to expect him to attend at such short notice. What are the chances the guilty riders would have owned up? Mr Chairman, thank you for the reply.

Morning guys,

Been a bit busy the last few days to visit this thread as often as I would like.

(EDIT: I had less than 4 hours from receiving the notice of the meeting to reschedule my evenings business, prepare for this meeting, as well as travel the almost 50kms...unfortunately my paying clients would come first.)

I am very happy that the meeting went ahead and the issues were raised and appreciate their feedback, however a little disappointed that no responsibility for any of the instances mentioned in this thread was taken.

As the Cape Town Giants are a development club that receive funding from the PPA I will be providing the information I have collated from various people and providing it to them, I will CC Cape Town Giants in all communication. It will be up to PPA if they wish to handle this in any further way.

I started this thread just to bring my personal experiences forward to everyone.

Dale, a little disappointed you feel that way considering we've met and had several conversations after rides.

Good to hear your view, luccmann...

Your absence from the meeting just allows for swifter dismissal of the important issues at hand.

It's not personal.

Hopefully, as you write, CTG and other clubs too, will improve.

Morning guys,

Good to hear your view, luccmann...

Your absence from the meeting just allows for swifter dismissal and less responsibility by the club of the important issues at hand.

It's not personal.

Albeit sharing your personal experience, when an organization is named and questioned, things become tricky.

Hopefully, as you write, CTG and other clubs too, will improve with repeated concerns lodged at their door.

Edited by ' Dale

big up to CTG's for calling a meeting. they did the ppa's job for them.

fun rides take place on public roads, safety should be of paramount importance especially for the younger ones who take part in the shorter distances.

are the short / medium riders informed that they must keep as far left as possible because the longer distance riders might be passing them?

The CTG official reply essentially exonerates themselves, rather predictably!

The fact that the OP couldn't or wouldn't attend for whatever reason at the drop of a hat to appease the club and its procedures doesn't call the OP's account of events into question. This and tales of similar behaviour by CTG club riders from other hubbers tells the bigger story.

The club hastily called a meeting at their own convenience. Did they give him a choice of dates, times and venues, or "summons" him dictatorially to their own playground? Why the rush to hold a meeting? Surely a delay of a day or two wouldn't have made a difference. Smacks of a whitewash. IMHO, of course.

THe OP chooses to publically complain instead of contacting them directly. CTG takes his concerns seriously and call an meeting. The OP does not attend and surely CTG members were inconvenienced also.But he is now still gonna send his version to the PPa which makes we wonder if he was actually interested in hearing their side of the story and to engage in a constructive manner.

THe OP chooses to publically complain instead of contacting them directly. CTG takes his concerns seriously and call an meeting. The OP does not attend and surely CTG members were inconvenienced also.But he is now still gonna send his version to the PPa which makes we wonder if he was actually interested in hearing their side of the story and to engage in a constructive manner.

You obviously didn't read luc's reply and reason as to why he could not be there... receiving 4 hours notice before a meeting is not reasonable for ANY working person.

Edited by dre

Were you one of the CTG members inconvenienced?

Why shouldn't he complain on a public forum?

Why should he contact CTG directly?

Who are CTG to summon the OP to a meeting?

Why should he attend said meeting?

Why shouldn't he send his version to the PPA?

Why should he give a hoot about CTG's version of the story?

Why does CTG believe that their race groups have more rights than other cyclists?

Why should anyone care about the CTG's DC aspirations?

Do CTG factor in the aspirations of the other cyclists in that particular race?

There appears to be a problem with the perception of CTG at the moment that cannot be dealt with by attacking the OP or by posting a response straight out of the Mac Maharaj Book on Spin-Doctoring.

The OP is entitled to air his views publicly, as are you and I. I stand by the post you replied to. What was the rush to convene a meeting, and why couldn't it be postponed to accommodate the complainant's schedule? In the event CTG were in any way interested in hearing the OP's version of events, they would have rescheduled the meeting to a date, time and place convenient to ALL parties concerned. Instead they hastily convened a meeting without him and issued a statement exonerating themselves and their riders.

It remains a WHITEWASH, imho of course. You have your views and I have mine.

Edited by Brogue

THe OP chooses to publically complain instead of contacting them directly - already provided my reason for addressing this on the forum, please read above. CTG takes his concerns seriously and call an meeting. The OP does not attend and surely CTG members were inconvenienced also. - provided my reason for not attending, please read above.But he is now still gonna send his version to the PPa which makes we wonder if he was actually interested in hearing their side of the story and to engage in a constructive manner. - already provided my reasoning behind giving the info to PPA, and as I said I will provide all parties information, but please read above.

If you have anything else you need clarity on feel free to ask, or please read above.

Lucmccann, I would caution restraint. There is no need to justify your actions.

As I read the previous posts, you went public in the public interest. There can be no issue of defamation as some would seek to imply.