High end Alu MTB frames

Morwa

Hubbers,

I'm in the market for a new MTB frame, and would like to stick with aluminium, and not go the carbon route. After doing some reading on the Net, there's a very limited supply of "high" end aluminium MTB frames on the market. Why is that the case?

Do the suppliers feel that there's no market for high end aluminium frames, and that people would rather buy a carbon frame for the same price as a aluminium frame?

Also, why did PYGA stopped production of the Zero29? Same goes for Yeti with the BigTop. Surely there is "some" market for these frames? I was even inquiring the other day about a Santa Cruz Highball Aluminium....with the LBS replying....They don't import the alu version into SA. Momsen doesn't have the AL829 model for 2014?

So it either a basic aluminium frame for entry level bikes....or carbon for the future?

Hubbers,

I'm in the market for a new MTB frame, and would like to stick with aluminium, and not go the carbon route. After doing some reading on the Net, there's a very limited supply of "high" end aluminium MTB frames on the market. Why is that the case?

Do the suppliers feel that there's no market for high end aluminium frames, and that people would rather buy a carbon frame for the same price as a aluminium frame?

Also, why did PYGA stopped production of the Zero29? Same goes for Yeti with the BigTop. Surely there is "some" market for these frames? I was even inquiring the other day about a Santa Cruz Highball Aluminium....with the LBS replying....They don't import the alu version into SA. Momsen doesn't have the AL829 model for 2014?

So it either a basic aluminium frame for entry level bikes....or carbon for the future?

Interesting...didn't know some of the peeps arent bringing in / making alu anymore.

Steel, carbon, Alu, Titanium, bamboo...so many materials, so little space in my garage

hehehe

Also discovered last night, not easy to get the right spot to hang a bike, needs to be easy to get to, but not in the way, my case, as invisible as possible from the street, all reducing options.

G

Interesting...didn't know some of the peeps arent bringing in / making alu anymore.

Steel, carbon, Alu, Titanium, bamboo...so many materials, so little space in my garage

your comment regarding the Zero29'er not being available, implies you're only looking for Hard Tail's?

G

Hubbers,

your comment regarding the Zero29'er not being available, implies you're only looking for Hard Tail's?

G

Yes... looking for a hardtail alu 29er. The PYGA OneTen29 is available.

Ye, I'm aware of the OneTen29'er, which is a Dual, same for the OneTwenty650.

Only hardtail Pyga have now is the Zero650c, but thats Carbon race weapon.

G

Yes... looking for a hardtail alu 29er. The PYGA OneTen29 is available.

Hubbers,

Easy. Shops tell customers to rather buy a carbon frame with lower spec and upgrade spec later than high end alu bike with little room for improvement. Do this a couple of times and before you know it no one is buying high-end alu.

I have a Large AL829 frame for you. Spotless. Size Large.

Cannondale have some fantastic alu frames and Omico do bring them in, check them out, its also the way I am going to go

I agree on the Cannondale frames. Top quality. Only problem.... not been sold as a stand alone frame, only complete bikes.

My current take is that the companies think that cyclists would rather pay the same amount of money for a cheap carbon frame, than a high end aluminium frame. Carbon is the new trend....