Hope Brake Appreciation Thread

patches

Maybe - maybe not... personally I will take Castrol SRF EVERY time over mineral oil... wet or dry, it's better than mineral oil.. :)

OK - maybe in one sense it's not better - it IS more expensive.. by a factor of about 5..

Look I hear you, on paper it is the better fluid. But we don't ride on paper....sorry for the cliche

I hate maintenance and admin, I have less when using mineral oil.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy them... :) I am running them on my race bike - and they do perform well - so well I am down to 160mm discs...

If you don't want them, let Cpt Mayhem know... he wants a set...

Ha ha, sorry, I meant when I bought them it was a luck coz they were new and so cheap. Mayhem was in fact one of the guys who said they were good stoppers. There were two of us on the ride with Trails, he left mumbling something about new brakes.. ;)

I too ran 160 but the bike shares function between trail and dh so 180 made sense on the front.

I found a new (still sealed in bag) set of XO trails for 2.6k.. such a luck!! I've been told they perform well by others, especially for their weight but when it comes down to needing to stop on long verticals fade might be an issue, there are stronger options..

I see the X9's on CRC are just over 3. - bargain -

fade on long verticals? in this country? i think not old chap.

but who said that is talking outta their neck mounted arse. In many ways, the XO Trails are at the very least, on par with Codes. Might even be better on a relative level.

i see the Trails design is entering the X9 and X7 categories as well. Seems they pushing elixir off the table.

Edited by Capricorn

fade on long verticals? in this country? i think not old chap.

but who said that is talking outta their neck mounted arse. In many ways, the XO Trails are at the very least, on par with Codes. Might even be better on a relative level.

Really? Cool! Happy again.

hmmm, sounds like you are ready to change to Shimano...

Bollocks! I'm locked into Avid by virtue of bank balance. If not I'd send for some custom yellow Hopes..

HOPE it never happens.....the day that road racing bicycles come standard with hydraulic disc brakes

Mind you Hopes will do well with all their custom anodized options

Maybe - maybe not... personally I will take Castrol SRF EVERY time over mineral oil... wet or dry, it's better than mineral oil.. :)

OK - maybe in one sense it's not better - it IS more expensive.. by a factor of about 5..

My old man used to work for Castrol.

I ran SRF in all my cars!

HOPE it never happens.....the day that road racing bicycles come standard with hydraulic disc brakes

Mind you Hopes will do well with all their custom anodized options

Don't worry, in 5 yrs from now people will be wondering how they ever got by without disk brakes on their road bikes.

Dot Systems typically use silicon seals. Silicon seals are not compatible with Mineral oil.

Mineral oil systems typically use urethane, buytyl rubber, nitril rubber or flouronated rubber s (VITON ) seals. These are quite hard wearing and typically are compatible with a broad range of materials but the composition pourosity or the seals is important to understand. Generally VITON is compatible with both alkylated, alcohol or ether based materials as well as conventional hydrocarbon materials. But again you need to know whats in the brake system form the factory.

Follow the manufacturers recommendation and you'll be fine. Theres good reasons why they recommend what they do.

If you have a DOT based brake system, after you have opened the container with Dot Brake fluid, use it and dispose of the remaining fluid. It is highly hygroscopic (that means absorbs water) and will degrade in weeks.

DoT3, DoT4 and DoT5.1 are compatible.

DoT5 is silicon based and is NOT COMPATIBLE with any of the others nor with mineral oil based systems

thanks lefty!! :thumbup: :thumbup: I KNEW there would be a sound reason...was just too lazy to go and find it!!

I'm learning a lot here. Please keep it coming guys. Had no idea the dot fluid degrades.

Why do motorcycle systems use DOT tho? surely there's some sort of advantage over mineral oil?

Motorcycle brakes and motor vehicle brakes generate a lot more heat so the water will typically evaporate off before it is absorbed into the fluid. With MTB's there is more opportunity for water ingress and the sealing of MTB brakes pistons is not as good as on cars and Mbikes.

V12, perhaps in JHB the water absorption through atmosphere is not an issue but tests I conducted while Alrode lab was still open proved otherwise.

Once opened, even with the seal in place the container breathes sufficiently to reduce the reflex boiling point, especially in the coastal areas.

Buy small containers, use what you needs and dispose of via the appropriate channel. Take it to Rose Foundation.

Guest Omega Man

I'm thinking of selling these bad boys if anyone is interested. R3500 including the hope floating rotors. They are Hope V2's with the Tech lever. I've not seen the V2 on another bike in SA.

I have cut the hose to fit my bike so you might have to get a new hose for the rear.

post-18968-0-29899500-1383150555_thumb.jpg

i see the Trails design is entering the X9 and X7 categories as well. Seems they pushing elixir off the table.

Really!? I think I may need a new set of brakes then. In fact, my hard tail could use my elixir 5's!

Twin pot would suit me and my fat ass!