5150 Africa Champs

Metzet

Heard that 2 cyclist were hit by cars because there wasn't full road closure. Hope they are ok.

Friend of mine did it and was stopped 4 times on the bike by Marshall's. She did'nt seem very impressed from what I understand.

Edited by quintonb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very happy with the way things went yesterday.

I was also a bit concerned by my swim time initially, couldn't understand why I was so slow compared with how long 1500m takes me in the pool. But if it really was 2.1 km, then that means I actually had a bloody good swim.

I enjoyed the bike course.

Run was painful, my legs were shot because I pushed the bike really hard, will have to do more brick runs in future...

Does anyone know what happened with that woman who was knocked down by a car? Looked quite bad

Swim was really good. Long but water was awesome (believe it or not) except for the first and last 30m.

Cycle was fast, also frustrated at being stopped 4 times. Having a cop stop you when you are trucking at 50kmh felt like I was being bust for speeding.

Run was a lovely jog in the park. Note to self, do more run training.

Now frustrated at not being able to see results. Didn't even get my final time as I stopped, instead of lapped my watch as I came out the swim.

Anyone else got a tri-suit sunburn? Eina!

I got just over 2km on my garmin for the swim - seemed to take for ever so was glad to see afterwards it was longer than advertised... The run was a little short though, so still ended up at 51.50 km overall...

My only gripe was that I got stopped 3 times for traffic to cross on the bike leg. I think the officials didn't have much choice as the taxis were apparently getting really aggressive but the organsiers may have to re-think this route then if they can't manage the traffic situation....

Road closure was a complete nightmare for the cops. Heard the Metro Police were pretty unhappy.

They really need to move this event earlier to solve this problem. I see no reason why the first wave can't leave at 6:30.

Smaller gaps between the waves will also be better. You can have every one off past the 30km mark before 10am. That is when the proverbial really hit the fan.

Anyone else got a tri-suit sunburn? Eina!

Like a tomato. At least I am back to being a triathlete from being a cyclist, tanwise anyway.

haha, got a nice trisuit tan, but luckily not too red..

i saw the one girl that was knocked over just after it happened, shame she was in agony lying with her bike in pieces and lying right next to, almost half under the car.. she was crying from the pain and shock.

i luckily got through the bad traffic early, got stopped only once on the way back..

great event, really enjoyed it. first triathlon since I was 16 years old and managed a 11th place in my age category - happy with that..

BRING ON THE ROCKMANXTRI!

Road closure was a complete nightmare for the cops. Heard the Metro Police were pretty unhappy.

They really need to move this event earlier to solve this problem. I see no reason why the first wave can't leave at 6:30.

Smaller gaps between the waves will also be better. You can have every one off past the 30km mark before 10am. That is when the proverbial really hit the fan.

Agree, since we all have to go to registration the day before we may as well check bikes in on Sat PM as well (like at IM) which means an early start is feasible.

My suggestion for the starts:

Pros 6:30

18-29 6:33 (They should not catch the Pros)

30-39 6:40

40+ 6:47

Ladies 6:54

Teams 7:00

Get the swim the correct length. Almost all swimmers out by 7:30. Will be through 30km, the critical bit by 9:00.

Problem solved.

Pity someone did not go out on a Sunday morning and observe the traffic volumes crossing the route, would have saved the lady a lot of pain. I think the race office have some serious questions to answer,

Person who hit her is in for some serious k@k as to be on the course, he/she would have had to deliberately disobey the instruction of a traffic officer. That will not be regarded as an accident but probably assault or even attempted murder.

Bike was just crazy in my opinion! The route was fine, but then being stopped at the intersection just made it frustrating. Catching up the slower riders and then being stuck with 25 other guys at the robots is a recipe for disaster. Everyone then starts of at the same time, but now you within the draft zone. At the same time there are guys flying from behind at 50km an hr......so now you blocking!

Raised it with the marshal/referee and he got p!ssed off. Sat up for the 2nd time, waiting for everyone to form their line. Once this happened, I hammered it and went pass about 10-12 guys in a minute or 2......then i got PULLED OFF the road for blocking. Ref took his time to take my details....eventually letting me go. Spent a total of 7:40 being pulled off and being stopped at the robot. He let me go with a blocking penalty. No showing of the card while on the bike....got PULLED off!

Get to the penalty tent and there is nobody to report to. The grey haired guy stands there, explains the situation and couldnt event be bothered. Eventually the lady strolls up, and says oh, dont worry we will make it another 1:30 as you have been here for a while. Explain to her that it is blocking, stop and go, so i should have set off 2 mins ago. Then she looked confused....and I just left. Didn't sign the register!

I have done a number of Tri's....never got a penalty....but yesterday was just ridiculous. Spoke to the head of referees afterwards, and he confirmed that the ref on the bike course was wrong.....but yet, nothing will happen! At the end it cost me atleast 10 mins......and put me in a bad mood for the rest of the race!

Not sure if i will do it again until the bike leg gets sorted out!

I saw three ladies ignore the cops and ride dangerously between the cars crossing the intersection, and another two people being abusive to the cops, who in term got extremely pissed off and threatend to arrest one of them should they ignore his instruction to remain stopped. When one of the guys tried to pacify the cop he said he was getting abuse from triathletes the entire morning. To be fair I saw many more participants taking it in their stride and taking the opportunity to joke and chat to others. I got stopped three times at intersections but never for more than a minute.

While it is a race and ideally shouldn't have any stops, motorists also have places to go to and probably time frames to stick to as well, so they are inconvenienced too. Given that we had two lanes to use for 19km of the cycle leg and no cars to dodge (unlike in many cycle races) I am okay with the occasional inconvenience of stopping.

While it is a race and ideally shouldn't have any stops, motorists also have places to go to and probably time frames to stick to as well, so they are inconvenienced too.

The issue the organisers have to answer is that their race format seriously inconvenienced motorists to the point that the general public disobeyed and abused the traffic officials. The traffic officials were doing the best they can to cater for both parties. In doing so, some of the triathletes got pretty miffed too.

I was bleak (but certainly not abusive) at having to stop four times, but it was obvious as to why the traffic officers had to do so. Respect to them in managing a very difficult situation.

I believe it demonstrates poor planning by the race organisers to the realities of the area and the time of day. It was also a situation which could have been avoided.

I dont mind the stopping, what i do mind is the fact that the ref should look at the circumstrances before dishing out penalties. And then to not follow the correct procedure is even worse!

I dont mind the stopping, what i do mind is the fact that the ref should look at the circumstrances before dishing out penalties. And then to not follow the correct procedure is even worse!

Absolutely. Correct me if I am wrong. The refs are actually from TSA and are not under instruction or training from the race office. Perhaps an email relating your situation to the head of referees at TSA would be helpful to not repeating in future.