Dream DH Build - and so it begins

nigelhicks

Dude the new Funn Bars are AWESOME! - and they are pretty well priced (in the R800 range)

Have seen the anodised Blue and Orange first hand and WOW! ... And light too!!!

Thanks Nigel, Stunning build BTW.

I am interested in the FUNN Stryge stem and Viper II pedals, have you had any experience with these?

I've been running Funn Fatboy bars on my bike with the Strippa stem and have been loving them. The colours and the feel/stiffness are great. Actually doing a review on them soon, so keep an eye out. Oh, and the Bigfoot pedals :)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must just give a BIG shout out to Jason at Leighs Cycle Centre in the Pavillion for hooking me up with most of the stuff.

He organised a great deal on my Wheels, Bar, Stem, Seat and Saint Parts!

Thanks bud - I owe you big time.

Just picked up a hub conversion kit from him yesterday. Good bloke, good service... got my parts pretty quickly for me.

Btw... build is looking very nice!!! Looking forward to seeing the finished build :)

and so the almost finished product

I pinched the avid rotors off my wet weather wheelset just to finish the build

But couple of small issues

Can anyone notice something wrong? I'll give you a hint, look at the wheels.

Didnt even notice it till i took this pic - hahaha even the LBS missed it ... hahaha

Also the rotor off my wet wheels is a 185mm but the brake adaptor is a 180mm so needed to spacer it which is not ideal.

Then I have decided to dump the saint brakes and put on the new XT's with Icetech rotors as they are just as powerful but will shave about 250g of weight.

Then also dumping the Thomson seatpost for a lightweight KCNC Scandium to save 100g.

And will likely swop out the shock spring for a Titanium one to save another 300g.

post-16861-0-01118100-1385359927_thumb.jpg

post-16861-0-67870600-1385359931_thumb.jpg

Guest Omega Man

Didnt even notice it till i took this pic - hahaha even the LBS missed it ... hahaha

Tires are the wrong way round. Red fork looks amazing.

Edited by Omega Man

I puzzled over that one for a while - no one noticed until i took the pic! hahaha

The Flow has been discontinued, and replaced by the Flow EX - the profile and width is different, but its very hard to spot. Obviously the distributors still had a flow or 2 in stock and didnt look, merrily shipping the 2 as the same thing ...

The LBS also didnt look and merrily built them up as they both said flow ...

I took delivery and also didnt notice until i had loaded them onto the bike.,

hahahaha

and so the almost finished product

I pinched the avid rotors off my wet weather wheelset just to finish the build

But couple of small issues

Also the rotor off my wet wheels is a 185mm but the brake adaptor is a 180mm so needed to spacer it which is not ideal.

Then I have decided to dump the saint brakes and put on the new XT's with Icetech rotors as they are just as powerful but will shave about 250g of weight.

Then also dumping the Thomson seatpost for a lightweight KCNC Scandium to save 100g.

And will likely swop out the shock spring for a Titanium one to save another 300g.

Eish Nige! KCNC for DH? You are a lot crazier than I thought. Hot ride, I wish you many more titles on it. That colour will look like lava against the Danish hills when you go and defend your title.

Eish Nige! KCNC for DH? You are a lot crazier than I thought. Hot ride, I wish you many more titles on it. That colour will look like lava against the Danish hills when you go and defend your title.

Erm, you don't really sit for DH... Unless it's in the pedally section in PMB. Then you sit. All other times, sitting is like a KKK member having a black great grandfather...

Which means, of course, it's frowned upon.

Was thinking that too - I trust Thompson seatposts much more.

Was thinking that too - I trust Thompson seatposts much more.

But like Mayhem says - you NEVER sit in DH - except when you are in the start gate or at the end of the run after you have crossed the finish line.

So TBH the seat and post are irrelevant on an DH bike and are just there for stability and not for sitting.

So the lighter the better

Thats why i have a Syncros Carbon Rail Seat on there - lightest i could get at a decent price

Erm, you don't really sit for DH... Unless it's in the pedally section in PMB. Then you sit. All other times, sitting is like a KKK member having a black great grandfather...

Which means, of course, it's frowned upon.

JA, ja, ja I know...It's just that KCNC to me, bends when look at it.