Elixer 5 bleed -- Help !!

porqui

cant see how a barrel ajjuster can solve a problem since its just the lever moving outward and not the piston. we took the hose off and then tried to "bleed" the master cylinder but no fluid would move from the bleed port through the master cylinder and out where the hose would connect. ie we have blockage somewhere just after the bleedport on the brake lever body

If the lever is too far out on some variants it blocks the port. Not sure why, but it does. Adjust so the tip of the lever is about 70mm from the centreline of the bar and try again...

Maybe you can figure out where the blockage could be from this.

Have tried pushing fluid through from both directions?

What happens if you pump the lever while trying to push fluid through?

Is it possible to flush the lever with detergent?

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/2012-avid-elixir-9-7-brake-internals-clear01.jpg

Here is a link that seems will give you the best advice - the o-ring is possibly the fault, easy fix if you have an engineering shop nearby http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/avid-elixir-5-bleeding-problem

Edited by paarlmtb

I too have had issues bleeding Elixir's, see below, it works 100%, guaranteed.

1. Carefully remove brakes, calliper's and levers
  2. Throw them into the bin
  3. Install Shimano, Formula or Hope brakes
  4. Problem solved.

I too have had issues bleeding Elixir's, see below, it works 100%, guaranteed.

1. Carefully remove brakes, calliper's and levers

2. Throw them into the bin

3. Install Shimano, Formula or Hope brakes

4. Problem solved.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I hate Shimano and only ride SRAM and Campy, but this is funny very funny.

Those pictures are worth a.............

The problem could be that o-ring so will need to have a look but oh for clip-remover in the middle of the desert nevermind a new o-ring.

Thanx guys it all seems much clearer now and not as daunting but still need to do it.

Those links were REALLY usefull

Riding is out of the question as temp is running at about 40*C with a wind that seems to come out of a blast furnace and dries your eyeballs instantly if you dare to look in the direction from where the wind is coming.

Those pictures are worth a.............

The problem could be that o-ring so will need to have a look but oh for clip-remover in the middle of the desert nevermind a new o-ring.

Thanx guys it all seems much clearer now and not as daunting but still need to do it.

Those links were REALLY usefull

Riding is out of the question as temp is running at about 40*C with a wind that seems to come out of a blast furnace and dries your eyeballs instantly if you dare to look in the direction from where the wind is coming.

I know you REALLY want to ride, but the Tafels are helping keep your eyes moist.......:)

Just realized bike is 25 days short of a year old so problem should be covered by warranty so will not be opening lever unit

Bike is 2011 model but bought in 2012 (Nov 29)

:clap:

But will give feedback as to cause

Edited by porqui