Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

Big H, if Campagnolo made fishing reels they would have sounded exactly like Shimano fishing reels, because that is precisely what my road campy wheels freebody sound like. :D Like a fish screaming to get away, I like it! :thumbup:

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big H, if Campagnolo made fishing reels they would have sounded exactly like Shimano fishing reels, because that is precisely what my road campy wheels freebody sound like. :D Like a fish screaming to get away, I like it! :thumbup:

Firstly, spelled incorrectly, kempekkernoglia is the correct spelling. Pewter is not a good material for reels or cycling thingies made by Geppetto whilst filing away on Pinocchio's nose!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I was reminded today of how incredibly lucky I am. My bike needed a little break, so I took my one youngster out flyfishing on that prince of streams, the Smalblaar. We left home at 5 am, by 6 am we were on the water and by 7am I had my first little wild rainbow in hand. He got his first shortly afterwards. We lost count after a while. By 11am we called it a day and by 1pm we were having lunch with the rest of the DJR mob. Truly blessed!

post-17716-0-39967100-1386588948_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-25799900-1386588970_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-62970200-1386588983_thumb.jpg

I was reminded today of how incredibly lucky I am. My bike needed a little break, so I took my one youngster out flyfishing on that prince of streams, the Smalblaar. We left home at 5 am, by 6 am we were on the water and by 7am I had my first little wild rainbow in hand. He got his first shortly afterwards. We lost count after a while. By 11am we called it a day and by 1pm we were having lunch with the rest of the DJR mob. Truly blessed!

AWESOME!! Well done!

• 2 weeks later...

hi fly guys, I need some info on a recent purchase I made, any one out there with info on a Fenwick hmg 83.870 fly rod and Shakespeare beualite reel. I recently got both for R200.00 bucks, no idea whatsoever regarding the quality of these two products. please help.

STOP the press! Please tell me exactly where this is

STOP the press! Please tell me exactly where this is

http://www.piscator.co.za/

The Smalblaar is the stream that runs down the Du Toits Kloof as you exit the Hugenot tunnel going from Cape Town towards Worchester along the N1. Fishing on it is controlled by the Cape Piscatorial Society and only catch and release flyfishing is allowed. You have to book a beat through the CPS to fish it, but you don't have to be a member. Visitors pay a small day / permit fee. (see the above link) It is a lovely stream to fish but you do hear the N1 traffic rushing past on some stretches. The scenery is absolutely stunning and the place is photogenic in the extreme. If you want some quieter waters, the Elandspad is one of the side kloofs, but this takes a bit of a hike to the best beats.

Here's another early morning picture.

post-17716-0-25192400-1388330311_thumb.jpg

Wow. Some beaut pics. Im interested to know if any of y'all have tried fly fishing for Carp. I was recently introduced to this. Loving it so far. There is a dam 1km from my spot. After work grab the fly rod and shoot to the dammetjie. Had some good fun.

Wow. Some beaut pics. Im interested to know if any of y'all have tried fly fishing for Carp. I was recently introduced to this. Loving it so far. There is a dam 1km from my spot. After work grab the fly rod and shoot to the dammetjie. Had some good fun.

Yes, a Cape Town guide took me to the outlet of the Strandfontein sewerage works once, to teach me short line Chech Nymphing on Carp before I did my first pilgrimage to the Lower Orange to use it on Yellowfish. It worked really well on the Carp and they gave me quite a fight, pulled like bulldozers, slow but strong. However, the colour of the water and the knowledge of the shitfarm upstream has put me off Carp (there anyway) for ever. The guide kept telling me it wasn't as bad as the Vaal in some parts, but I still took the longest shower of my life after that particular outing. :blush:

Yes, a Cape Town guide took me to the outlet of the Strandfontein sewerage works once, to teach me short line Chech Nymphing on Carp before I did my first pilgrimage to the Lower Orange to use it on Yellowfish. It worked really well on the Carp and they gave me quite a fight, pulled like bulldozers, slow but strong. However, the colour of the water and the knowledge of the shitfarm upstream has put me off Carp (there anyway) for ever. The guide kept telling me it wasn't as bad as the Vaal in some parts, but I still took the longest shower of my life after that particular outing. :blush:

Hahahahahaha. Ja Carp waters aint your trout waters

• 5 weeks later...

I know this isn't exactly flyfishing. This am I was working with cattle at a farm where the kraals are next to my bass dam. I took my fly rod and fishing bag with the idea of doing some fishing if I had the opportunity. I forgot that I had taken my fly reels out so used a lure. I'd caught the 3 fish I was going to catch, then thought I'd cast one more, and I caught another bass.

While removing the hook, the fish wriggled, and sank two of the hooks of a treble into my thumb. I'm on the way to the doc now.post-2975-0-37341600-1390901910_thumb.jpg

The moral of the story; stop when you have enough

I know this isn't exactly flyfishing. This am I was working with cattle at a farm where the kraals are next to my bass dam. I took my fly rod and fishing bag with the idea of doing some fishing if I had the opportunity. I forgot that I had taken my fly reels out so used a lure. I'd caught the 3 fish I was going to catch, then thought I'd cast one more, and I caught another bass.

While removing the hook, the fish wriggled, and sank two of the hooks of a treble into my thumb. I'm on the way to the doc now.post-2975-0-37341600-1390901910_thumb.jpg

The moral of the story; stop when you have enough

The 1 looks easy, the other.....ouch! :thumbdown:

The 1 looks easy, the other.....ouch! :thumbdown:

They were both bloody ouch, I'd cut them off at the shank to relieve the pain, and the Doc struggled with the one at the nail, it was in deep. He managed to push both through.

Think I'm going to squash all my lure barbs now too. Using a 10wt fly rod, and a baitcaster I just crank them out.

Edited by deanbean