Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not into flyfishing myself but a friend of mine makes custom nets etc. and he's always willing to give advice...Mario Geldenhuys

www.customflyrods.co.za

Im hoping Gubu produces again next season, its pretty hit and miss up there.

You are a lucky chap though, Gubu on your doorstep and Thrift not too far away.

and I'd rather fish Bass and Yellows and salt, go figure

I've never fished Gubu, buddy of mine has a dam with trout on his farm, Reigate, the Thomas river marathon usually goes past it,

post-2975-0-44932300-1411724715_thumb.jpg

over the other side from Gubu, it has produced some big trout.

Smallmouth Bass, floating the Breede between Worchester and Robertson. Very exciting surface popper fishing.

I like the way your boots are on standby for when the water gets a little too shallow.

There is a simple question to ask a fly fisher...

How many permit have you caught?

If the answer is, "I don't know" you have a story teller.

Every fly fisher know exactly how many permit they have caught.

I have, um, none. I am changing that in July!! And not that inferior Ido-pacific one, the real one, the Mexican Gulf one.

I do have many other species in my log book, but that one, she not there yet!!

So, are we going to get a report back on this, you cannot come bragging on the hub and not tell us if you caught a Permit!!!! :cursing: :cursing: :thumbdown:

I like the way your boots are on standby for when the water gets a little too shallow.

I plan to die with my boots on, not with bloody flippers like a duck!! :D

So, are we going to get a report back on this, you cannot come bragging on the hub and not tell us if you caught a Permit!!!! :cursing: :cursing: [emoji107]

Got one to eat, but couldn't jam it. Got a tarpon in 3 foot of water, and 4 bones over 10lbs.

Read the next Flyfishing Magazine for the article.

So, are we going to get a report back on this, you cannot come bragging on the hub and not tell us if you caught a Permit!!!! :cursing: :cursing: :thumbdown:

Pfft Permit, its all about the milkfish!

Man I want to get into one of those on fly.

• 3 weeks later...

Back home from a week of paddling and fishing the lower Orange. I'm so stuffed I think I'll give tomorrow mornings' road race a pass. It really is that bad, but it is also a great kind of tiredness! Even the missus got excited enough to give the fishing a go and managed to get 3. Both my boys caught their first yellows on fly and by day 3 we stopped counting, it was that good. They decided to call it a draw in terms of numbers, but were willing to concede that I caught the biggest smallmouth yellow. The biggest muddy is still being argued about, but I got the only largemouth yellow of the trip, a smallish one. 

post-17716-0-86946900-1413045614_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-97679600-1413046019_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-18414900-1413046153_thumb.jpg

My rod must go back in my bakkie, watchout bass. Buddy that i rode with today says that the yellows in his river are very active ????

Guest The Bushpig

Back home from a week of paddling and fishing the lower Orange. I'm so stuffed I think I'll give tomorrow mornings' road race a pass. It really is that bad, but it is also a great kind of tiredness! Even the missus got excited enough to give the fishing a go and managed to get 3. Both my boys caught their first yellows on fly and by day 3 we stopped counting, it was that good. They decided to call it a draw in terms of numbers, but were willing to concede that I caught the biggest smallmouth yellow. The biggest muddy is still being argued about, but I got the only largemouth yellow of the trip, a smallish one. 

Awesome. This is my kind of fishing trip. Lekker Man. :thumbup:

Guest The Bushpig

Man I have not touched my fly rod in almost a year. A dam sad story...

Ditto here.

Sad indeed.

I have been amongst the Bass, but on conventional Tackle, so it doesn't count here.

Guest notmyname

We had a dreadful morning at yfp this morning. No yellows to be seen. All three of us landed some barbel but no yellows or muddies anywhere. My ankles are bleeding.

We had a dreadful morning at yfp this morning. No yellows to be seen. All three of us landed some barbel but no yellows or muddies anywhere. My ankles are bleeding.

Now a barbel must put up quite a fight on a fly rod.I have tried and tried with no results,even tried flyfishing for Bass but nada.

This was before winter though,will try my hand at it again next year when things get a little less hectic at work.

Now a barbel must put up quite a fight on a fly rod.I have tried and tried with no results,even tried flyfishing for Bass but nada.

This was before winter though,will try my hand at it again next year when things get a little less hectic at work.

Bass are fun on a fly, but you need to be slightly over weighted to get them out of structure before they tangle you up. I've caught bass in a dam that was almost completely covered with weed, on an 8wt. It skidded over the weed. That was on a stocking mission though.