Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

...........What makes these small stream in the cape so cool is that they are quite lightweight ito biomass, so topwater is where its at I assume?

For me, dry flies in sizes 14 to18 (can't see the smaller stuff anymore), 75% of the time. The next 20% I use a dry fly on top with a nymph on a dropper suspended from the hook bend (New Zealand style). Then the dry serves as an indicator if the nymph is taken.  The final 5% I do pure upstream nymphing without an indicator, but usually only if nothing else works.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah no I know, I was down there in September last year. It's tough, very tough, but so rewarding. Also one of the most beautiful locations out

Sorry, I didn't realize you knew the place. :blush: Didn't mean to lecture. But I agree, it is a magical place. Btw, I used to ride my mountainbike up there to go fish. The path is still good enough to ride it to just beyond the big weir. Then you hide your bike somewhere in the bushes off the trail and you hike further up. It makes coming back a lot quicker.

No worries! I wasn't fully prepared for the first outing so I have a score to settle :P The MTB was actually part of the score settling plan this year, but the more I think about it, the more right you are. Low flows and hot temperatures will most certainly not help. Let's see how it looks closer to the time. Also fished the Smalblaar when I was down there with more success at least.

For me, dry flies in sizes 14 to18 (can't see the smaller stuff anymore), 75% of the time. The next 20% I use a dry fly on top with a nymph on a dropper suspended from the hook bend (New Zealand style). Then the dry serves as an indicator if the nymph is taken.  The final 5% I do pure upstream nymphing without an indicator, but usually only if nothing else works.

yea, dry and dropper is staple in late afternoons on the vaal too...those capensis caddis are huge when they hatch, so elk + cdc dry with little brassie below works a treat..

on dad.

you wade in the vaal(knee to waist deep)....you dont fish from the bank. So its you and all your kit in the water for about 6-7 hours. The kit will get wet dunked, scraped on rocks, hit branches the whole day. There will be lots as in LOTS of hookups on rocks putting lots of strain on the equipment....remember you are nymphing / hi sticking and not casting, hence the 10ft is a non neg for the vaal.

My beautifull sage stuff stays locked for small stream fishing...like the witte in the photos from the previous page.

PS also you are hooking seriously strong fish....SM and LM yellows rev...and rev for long. 

Sounds like fun, can understand why you dont bring out the good stuff though.

Need to try it sometime.

Sounds like fun, can understand why you dont bring out the good stuff though.

Need to try it sometime.

river / stream fishing is the best meneer....much more rewarding and much more fun.

I recently got two of Gordon Van Der Spuys Para-Rabs to try on the trout streams and was pleasantly surprised by how effective they were in the fast flowing pocket water. So, because I desperately need a rest day for my legs, I tried my hand at tying a few. They came out a bit rough around the edges, but I'm pretty sure they'll catch fish. Keep in mind these are supposed to be "untidy" flies.

post-17716-0-02176600-1444469565_thumb.jpg

I recently got two of Gordon Van Der Spuys Para-Rabs to try on the trout streams and was pleasantly surprised by how effective they were in the fast flowing pocket water. So, because I desperately need a rest day for my legs, I tried my hand at tying a few. They came out a bit rough around the edges, but I'm pretty sure they'll catch fish. Keep in mind these are supposed to be "untidy" flies.

Tying flies is one of my favorite parts about fly fishing. Very cool looking fly that.

• 2 months later...

I decided that the Rand, Zuma, the economy can all go and **** themselves this morning and I went for a little outing on the Smalblaar in Du Toits Kloof.  My home tied para-rabs worked extremely well and got me about 20 beautiful rainbows in 3 hours of fishing. The world is now  a much better place!

post-17716-0-22685200-1450094163_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-22037100-1450094185_thumb.jpg

I decided that the Rand, Zuma, the economy can all go and **** themselves this morning and I went for a little outing on the Smalblaar in Du Toits Kloof.  My home tied para-rabs worked extremely well and got me about 20 beautiful rainbows in 3 hours of fishing. The world is now  a much better place!

Very cool looking spot.

Fly fishing is relaxing even if you dont catch, its just that much sweeter when you do.

Caught a lekker little goliath tiger in the niger yesterday. Looking forward to hook it's granpappie.

Pictures, pictures, we want pictures :) I've never had the chance, but I hear they are just about impossible to catch. Even the smallies, let alone the bigguns!

Edited by DJR

Pictures, pictures, we want pictures :) I've never had the chance, but I hear they are just about impossible to catch. Even the smallies, let alone the bigguns!

Man, I droped it in the sand and wanted to rinse it for a phodie. It slipped and swam off. Needles to say I am super miff. Will not make the same mistake again. It is a beaut of a fish!

Fished in the Kzn Berg on Saturday.

The dam water was a foam by the time I had finished, could see the fish swimming up to the flies then just leaving them.

Frustrating fishing.

But good to be out

Fished in the Kzn Berg on Saturday.

The dam water was a foam by the time I had finished, could see the fish swimming up to the flies then just leaving them.

Frustrating fishing.

But good to be out

Stocked dam?

I have fished underberg up through the berg and there were a few stocked ponds where the fish would move out of the way of flies in their path. 

Pellet fed fatties werent interested in flies.

Nabbed a few though by using two DDD's on an intermediate line and a few quick jerks, trout thought they were pellets and I was in like flint.