What size chainring is good on 1x10?

Craigwt

I had a guy come up to me at Meerendal over the weekend as I was unloading my bike, incredulous that I didn't have some XYZ massive sprocket conversion on my cassette. It was as if he'd couldn't believe that what his buddies told him wasn't really true.

My answer was simple: It's expensive and unnecessary, 32x11-36t is more than enough.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last 20days I have done 450km on my 1x10.

Would have been more but still love my SS too much.

So I am running a Zee 1x10 setup with the standard Zee 36t chainring and an 11-36 cassette.

Now i know that in Jozi we don't have any of the climbs of the Cape. But I did focus on doing all the "big/tough" climbs we have here. With four rides being 70km and +1000m. I am not a small chap at 100kgs so don't UP too easy.

• Home of Chicken Pie - Nikita - VG Slabs - HoCP.
  • Krugerdorp - Magailesburg - Mount Grace - Tarlton - Kurgersdorp
  • Fourways - Krugersdorp Hill - back of Kingskloof - Fourways
  • Midrand - Groenkloof - Fountains - Klapperkop(dirt climb) - Midrand
  • Still need to try Hakahana and Thaba (have ridden both on my SS and Kakked off)

The purpose of these rides was to test both the groupset and the gearing.

36 Chainring:

On my SS I have run a 34:18 for the last 2 years and ride pretty much everything and everywhere including a SabieX.

So I (and my bank account) decided to run the standard 36t chainring that came on the Zee crank.

Some people said I needed to run a chainguide but I have had only one chain drop and that was cause I forgot to switch on my clutch at groenies. I have deliberately ridden over the roughest sections to try and test the setup. (It is on a Rigid HT, this make is particularly rough but also means there are no change in the chainstay length as with some DS bikes)

I'm running a 11-36 at the back and found that on the flats I have no issues keeping up with the 2x and 3x guys.

On the long climbs i have never felt like i have run out of gears/legs.

On most of the short steep climbs that I would bust a nut getting up on the the SS I now toddled up in Granny with no issues.

Fair enough 3 years of only riding an SS has given me the ability to put done a big effort when needed and it probably wouldn't be the same for someone going from 2x or 3x to a 1x setup but I believe that for everywhere but the the Cape a 36:11-36t will be perfect.

Please bear in mind that this is Just My Opinion and I am by now means an authority on the subject. I just know that I dont like climbing and I have not struggled or run out of gears yet (The only thing I have found is that on some of the longer climbs I am not used to sitting and climbing so much and actually have to drop down a few gears and stand for a little while)

I had a guy come up to me at Meerendal over the weekend as I was unloading my bike, incredulous that I didn't have some XYZ massive sprocket conversion on my cassette. It was as if he'd couldn't believe that what his buddies told him wasn't really true.

My answer was simple: It's expensive and unnecessary, 32x11-36t is more than enough.

Exactly why I'm happy wifff my 34 x 11/36 combo. Yes, I kaaaak off on the climbs, but that's mostly a function of

A: My vet gat

B: My fitness

C: My vet gat

Seems more like a case of childish jealousy, when you move from posing with fancy kit and a bike you can't use to it's full extent to actually just riding ,you might understand.

I have 3 SS's, not sure why I should be jealous?

post-4310-0-95114800-1389082930_thumb.jpg

post-4310-0-59694800-1389083132_thumb.jpg

???

Guest Omega Man

That's not entirely true.

This whole 1x10/11 thing isn't a one size fits all solution.

My setup works for me cos I like to ride uphill as slow as humanly possible without coming to a complete stop and falling over. When I point the bike in the correct direction I like to ride tech single track and avoid jeeptrack like the plague. so 30 x 11/38 works great for me. There is a bit of chainslap even with the clutch derailleur but that probably just me nit picking and riding like a drunk orangutan.

While it works for me it's NOT going to work for a 60kg racing snake on a 29er hard tail training for his 5th epic. He's gonna be able to push a MUCH bigger ring at the front than me and is looking to hit 70k on any downhill jeeptrack he can find so he'll maybe run a 38 on the front but he'll also want a spread of gears at the back making X11 a necessity.

IMHO you should only tell people to run the same gearing as you if they are the same fitness as you, do the same type of riding as you and have the same riding goals as you.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

I have 3 SS's, not sure why I should be jealous?

post-4310-0-95114800-1389082930_thumb.jpg

post-4310-0-59694800-1389083132_thumb.jpg

???

That drop is MUCH bigger in real life.

Exactly why I'm happy wifff my 34 x 11/36 combo. Yes, I kaaaak off on the climbs, but that's mostly a function of

A: My vet gat

B: My fitness

C: My vet gat

A and C seems harsh ,that makes a double vetgat.

ROFL. Anyway... It's a vet gat. It must go. Just 5 kg makes one HELLUVA difference.

Indeed, I am wanting to drop at least 3-4 by the end of this month.

So I am running a Zee 1x10 setup with the standard Zee 36t chainring and an 11-36 cassette.

Now i know that in Jozi we don't have any of the climbs of the Cape. But I did focus on doing all the "big/tough" climbs we have here. With four rides being 70km and +1000m. I am not a small chap at 100kgs so don't UP too easy.

• Home of Chicken Pie - Nikita - VG Slabs - HoCP.
  • Krugerdorp - Magailesburg - Mount Grace - Tarlton - Kurgersdorp
  • Fourways - Krugersdorp Hill - back of Kingskloof - Fourways
  • Midrand - Groenkloof - Fountains - Klapperkop(dirt climb) - Midrand
  • Still need to try Hakahana and Thaba (have ridden both on my SS and Kakked off)

The purpose of these rides was to test both the groupset and the gearing.

I'm also running the Zee 1x10 setup (after a ton of trial and error with the RD getting the tension right!) and, like you, have had no problems with the ratio. I'm running 34-11 on the back and 34 on the front and have yet to use the big sprocket for anything but lazy peddling through grass, I think. As you say, though, not the biggest hills around here but I imagine if the going gets tough you just need to get your bum out the seat. I start to spin out a little on some downhill sections, though, which makes me think a 36 up front could be more suitable. I can't say enough good things about that RaceFace NW chainring. Between the three people I know who are running one, not a single chain drop through Enduros, jumps and heavy bails.

Probably why I'm getting away with a 36T, only 70kg that I need to carry up the hill, need to be 68 to be competitive.

Indeed, I am wanting to drop at least 3-4 by the end of this month.

My goal is 5, to get down to 98. That'll be less than the pre-december madness (no exercise bar 2 rides - had the out-laws as well as my parents with us, and family from Oz and and and...)

Yes me. 36 front and 11-36 rear. Will see how it goes. Just can't eat between now and then to try and drop a few kg's.

Rigid too?

I think that will be a good ratio, especially for the section from the Spur water point.

[/Quote] That's exactly one of the selling points I had too, for going with the 36T

Don't be silly. We are moving forward and have suspension now. Let's use it. :thumbup: My brother has a rigid but it is not for me. I like some help on the front. :whistling:

Those first 70 k's really eat the hands on a rigid, the shoulders also take big impact and by the time you leave the Spur tables you only want to slump.

Don't be silly. We are moving forward and have suspension now. Let's use it. :thumbup: My brother has a rigid but it is not for me. I like some help on the front. :whistling:

hahaha i'm dropping as much weight as possible going rigid as well +-1Kg