Calling on the Brake Fraternaties.

Helpmytrap

Try Easybike.co.za

I bought a set of slx and xt on saturday as they were the only ones with stock.

Ps and they were cheaper than all the other local online shops

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem, as posted before, with this XT brakeset, after 2 warranty replacements, I got rid of them.

The previous XT brakes are very reliable, easy to get pads and easy to service, perhaps get those for now ( about the same weight also). You should get a reasonable 2nd hand set for about R1500.

I need a full set though. :wacko:

On CRC the Race X2 is R1903 excl for the front and R1950 excl for a SLX set.

Evo are out of stock but R2095 for the SLX set.

We have Hope X2 set in stock for R3795 - total price incl VAT for both sides - far cheaper than CRC...

We might still have some SLX left - will check today.

Try Easybike.co.za

I bought a set of slx and xt on saturday as they were the only ones with stock.

Ps and they were cheaper than all the other local online shops

Nope they are not...

Man I'm tempted to buy those X2's but with the addition of Icetec rotors my Elixer 5's have been doing the job. So I just can't get myself to drop R4k on a nice to have, when R4k could buy other gear that I actually need (wider bar, Hans Damph tekkies, new brakepads and some riding gear).

But damn do they look sweet!

Guest Omega Man

In all honesty, I want to steer clear of Shimano.

If you want to steer clear of Shimano and Avid that really leaves you with Hope. (pardon the pun) Seeing as you are XC orientated the X2 is the one for you. Don't listen to the people dissing hopes. I've got them on both of my bikes and they are incredible. They look amazing too. The only thing is they do come at something of a premium. Given the current exchange rates expect to pay around 4k for a set. Ex rotors but you've got rotors from our XT's so you are set. You might get a bargain here or there cos Hope are in the process of phasing out the tech lever.

Have a look at CRC, CW Cylces, Bikebits. There's a few more that I can't think of offhand.

Edited by Omega Man

We have Hope X2 set in stock for R3795 - total price incl VAT for both sides - far cheaper than CRC...

Are these the Race or Tech X2's? And what is the difference between the two?

Edit: I see it is the Tech X2's with braided hoses. And the only difference is weight with the Race being about 120-130g lighter for the set.

Edited by Helpmytrap

Will it be a matter of browsing the classifieds or doing some proper skilled in depth shopping? ;)

Does your shifters have this little "arm" on it?

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/product_images/c/063/shimano-deore-xt-sl-m780-ispec-lever-left__38657_zoom.jpg

This would be the clamp I need to attach my shifters.

http://www.mountainbikebitz.com/images/products/hope_mtb_lever_clamp_for_race_evo_brake_levers_w_shimano_xtr_shifters.jpg

R3780 shipped from Merlin Cycles. Also check with Jason at International Trade. He might have a secondhand set or maybe even know of a set.

Out of interest, how long would shipping take from the UK at that price?

That is a crazy good price for those Hopes, never seen them that cheap in SA. Remember buying local means no duties or waiting around. Merlin price quoted here will need to add 15.4% duties?

The hope matchmakers for shimano support the XT that can take ispec bar mounts, you take them off though but from that xt model is supported by the hope mounts.

Considering Hopes can be repaired and not binned out of warranty they may end up being quite an economical buy, never mind having great brakes.

The braided hose is a useless upgrade, well they look good but you ain't getting any performance upgrade over upbraided goodridge hoses. All hope stock hoses are goodridge apparently. Braided is just a loose metal braid over the normal hard plastic inner, they may protect your hoses in a crash but that's about it. I'm probably going to be flamed by all the braided hose acolytes...

Apparently on large dimension soft walls rubber hoses on things like cars etc the braid may slightly help brake performance but not on short run hard wall Mtb hoses.

Edited by Skylark