Knee Pads (advice)

YUMEYA

Have to admit, I had the 5450's in my basket a few times already.

they stay on surprisingly well. i haven't had a proper stack to say they hold up under all manner of bailing, but they do well. the best part is, i can pedal everywhere and i dont notice them at all. Sure, they get warm on hot days, but thats par for the course for almost all knee shin pads out there.

One thing though: the meatier your leg the better. I lost a bit of weight just as i got them, and the top at the thigh felt abit loose. The pad didn't slide off though, but once u all warm and a bit swelled up, it gets tighter.

Build quality was a bit of an issue for me on the set i bought: little bits of yarn coming loose here and there. the unit doesn't fall apart though so far, so it's a just an irritation borne of neatness.. i really dont like odd bits of yarn hanging loose. such poor form..

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought myself a set of cheap 661's from dialdbikes before Mankele Avalanche and I have to say they really are *** for pedalling.

Will definitely buy some G-Form's next time around.

I was using the 661 Kyle Straights and they were okay for dirt jumping, DH etc, but sucked when it came to pedalling.

I'm now using the Leatt 3df knee pads and they are extremely comfortable. Done 30km+ rides in them in warm conditions and I've been very impressed. I haven't had a big fall with them (yet) but they definitely fit better than my 661's and I am pretty confident that they are more likely to stay in the right place in the event of a fall. They are conform to my leg quite well so the edge of the pad does not touch the frame while pedalling.

http://26bikes.interbikes.eu/file/24218/1.jpg

I will give those a thumbs up also. Fit is really good once they wear in a little bit. Have had a couple of little lie downs on then and they are holding up nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

I will give those a thumbs up also. Fit is really good once they wear in a little bit. Have had a couple of little lie downs on then and they are holding up nicely.

Anyone know where I can get Leatt 3DF pads in Cape Town?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know where I can get Leatt 3DF pads in Cape Town?

i just saw www.iwarehouse.co.za has them for a good price. However; i don't know the company though. Contact details shows their in Somerset West.

if you do try them please letme know how things went, im also considering.....

thanks..

Been also looking at the IXS Flow.

just in case anyone is as interested as i am.....

I just got an e-mail from Jason at international trade, turns out they have recently been appointed the IXS agents for SA. their first order arrives January next year due to the 6-8 week shipping times. He said they will be focusing on the Trail helmets and flow pads.

my first sets of knee pads was the stuff from 661. Kyle straits. Even dabbled in the 661 kneeshins with that hard external plastic impact plates. Can't remember the model. but that sucked. stuck with kyle Straits. Hot, stayed mostly in place during pedalling, but in crash, they were prone to coming a drift.

Then moved onto Fox launch pro knee pads. Blew craters into the Kyle Straits: fit better, more comfortable, looked snazzier ( i liked the understated look). Also comes adrift in a crash.

Also have the Alpinestars Moab kneeshins. The first edition of these kneeshins had a bit of a velcro itch. But what a brilliant bit of kit. Your legs would survive going through a branch shredder. No problem. Very much will rip your leg off a the pelvis before coming adrift in a crash.But they are warm, and bulky. They fixed the velcro itch in v2.0.

Then tested the new fangled stuff from TLD, the 5450s. Loving em!

Fit well, stay stuck, surprisingly not as hot as one would imagine. can pedal miles without noticing them. very light.

my first sets of knee pads was the stuff from 661. Kyle straits. Even dabbled in the 661 kneeshins with that hard external plastic impact plates. Can't remember the model. but that sucked. stuck with kyle Straits. Hot, stayed mostly in place during pedalling, but in crash, they were prone to coming a drift.

Then moved onto Fox launch pro knee pads. Blew craters into the Kyle Straits: fit better, more comfortable, looked snazzier ( i liked the understated look). Also comes adrift in a crash.

Also have the Alpinestars Moab kneeshins. The first edition of these kneeshins had a bit of a velcro itch. But what a brilliant bit of kit. Your legs would survive going through a branch shredder. No problem. Very much will rip your leg off a the pelvis before coming adrift in a crash.But they are warm, and bulky. They fixed the velcro itch in v2.0.

Then tested the new fangled stuff from TLD, the 5450s. Loving em!

Fit well, stay stuck, surprisingly not as hot as one would imagine. can pedal miles without noticing them. very light.

i have been considering all of the above you have mentioned, WRT the TLDs... are those the ones which do not have a strap around the thigh? if so, do they stay in place because of silicone or something?

yes, silicon and the way the thing wraps around your legs. There's silicon at the top and bottom leg openings.

It can bunch up a slight bit behind the knee, but it's not thick material, so not a big deal. just pull it up or down and that resolves the bunching. But it articules nicely around the knee, so it doesn't pull the rest of it up or down like with other knee pads.

The Astars also articulates nicely. But that's for the ultrahardcore tracks. That stuff's seriously burly.

I have the same experience with my 661 Rage. Ok while pedalling, but very hot. They've shifted in both the crashes I've had with them so far.

i have been using raceface digs for a while now. I dont have any problems with them moving, they stay well and somtimes i forget they are there until my knee knocks the dash or steering when getting into my car

i just saw www.iwarehouse.co.za has them for a good price. However; i don't know the company though. Contact details shows their in Somerset West.

if you do try them please letme know how things went, im also considering.....

I managed to get a pair from Mike Hopkins Motorcycles in Roland Street. Used them at the Delheim Enduro on Sunday and found them comfortable and wasn't affected by the heat. Able to pedal without having to remove them.

I have 661 (Riot) and the Leatt knee pads. Crashed on the 661s and they have been fine, crashed on the Leatts this weekend and the pad didn't stay in place at all. They took the first hit and shifted down. Go take a look in the delheim enduro for a pic of my knee. I'm not sure wether I will wear the Leatts again. They are more comfy than the 661 pads, but protection is more important.

My trusty old faithfuls are Troy Lee T-Bones. I have done multiple consectutive long days with them. Other than a funky smell, they were great. ut for trail/AM riding, the T-Bones (and similar) will feel hot and bulky).

I've heard good things about the Leatt knee guards, as well as the newer TLD KG's

That should read "monkey smell" a

Archived