Knee Pads (advice)

YUMEYA

Trawling through this thread my buying decision has not improved. I'm looking for trail pad that will allow comfortable +/- 30km rides with decent protection without feeling uncomfortable during summer. This threads 6 months old now and I wondered if theres any more products locally available that you guys are loving.

post-58648-0-96859000-1404120086_thumb.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i had a set of 661 Rage pads and liked them but did feel a little uncomfortable due to the hard casing. recently bought a set of the G-Form pads and absolutely love them, have done a few test rides on the spruit, 40+km and they are awesome , once they are on i forget they are there. i haven't crashed with them as yet so cant comment on that but from the research i have done they seem to handle quiet well.

i dont think they will do as well as a hard plastic pad in a crash but them for trail type stuff i don't need downhill type protection so am happy in that they are comfortable and should do ok if i do fall.

i had a set of 661 Rage pads and liked them but did feel a little uncomfortable due to the hard casing.

I use the soft shell Rage kneepads and I find them very comfortable with little to no slipping. They do get a little bit warm but that is to be expected.

I use the ION k-pact knee guard.

Plenty of protection on the sides, top and below the knee. For me it fits like a halfshin :)

It does get warm, but that's because of the excellent fit. The pads do not move at all, rather the warmer they get the more it forms to the shape of my knee.

The area behind the knee does not pinch at all, like a few other pads I've tried.

Works well for winter rides, summer I climb with them around my ankles until I get to the start of a descent.

Oh, and I use these pads for ups, downs, well basically I put them on before I start rideing and only take them off when I'm finished.

Only downside, the price.

+1 on the G-forms.

I've got them for trail and they really are comfortable and while they are not going to give you hell protection as some others they are pretty solid, flexible, good coverage, don't get too hot, pack small and you can wear them all day.

Only issue is I couldn't get the black ones so have the neon yellow version! Paid R650

I recently aquired some of those TLD KGs (the knee only version). I figured for downhill duties I need a little more protection than the G-forms.

I have yet to wear them in anger, but if they're half as good as my TLD T-bones (may they rest in piece), I will be rather happy.

Where would I find the G-forms

they have an online shop in SA - Here

They are also in Sportsmans Warehouse, Olympic Cycles and alot of other places. Wouldn't know what is what near you though.

Capricorn regularly uses his TLD's (top right) and swears by them. Wears them all the time on MTB rides, on the way up, down and everywhere inbetween...

they are fantastic! Climbed many a mile with those babies (Knee-shin version) on, and I dont notice them. Been through quite a few knee and knee-shin pads, but these take the cake by a massive margin. They are pricey no doubt, but if you want light weight protection that you can wear all the time, I highly recommend them.

they are fantastic! Climbed many a mile with those babies (Knee-shin version) on, and I dont notice them. Been through quite a few knee and knee-shin pads, but these take the cake by a massive margin. They are pricey no doubt, but if you want light weight protection that you can wear all the time, I highly recommend them.

Are they available locally by any chance? I've only been able to locate the KG 5400 - knee only.

I use those race face ones top left. They are very comfy. It has a hard shell under the green/yellow bit. Lots of times I forget I am wearing and get in the car to drive and only realize they still on when its knocks the steering. They really are all day knee guards.

Are they available locally by any chance? I've only been able to locate the KG 5400 - knee only.

if you find anything TLD locally, it's per chance. There's no official TLD agency in ZA. Get it from overseas while its sale season.

Archived