Rotorua Enduro

niterider

Just north of Auckland (well 220km) you get The Bay of Islands, in particular Russell. :wub:

That place, Queenstown and Picton are 3 of my fav towns I have EVER been to around the world!

If I could move to NZ I would like to move to Wellington, there are awesome trails one can go do 'after work' cause it is right on your door step. Wellington (although a city) it is nice and small and one can almost walk everywhere.

I really really fell in love in NZ. Unfortunatly there isnt much work in my line.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nite rider ... do me a favour please - Have a chat to the timing guys and see how they do their timing?

Trail Tag that we use here is ok and the system is getting there - but there are still big issues with it...

So looking for options to help make it better

nite rider ... do me a favour please - Have a chat to the timing guys and see how they do their timing?

Trail Tag that we use here is ok and the system is getting there - but there are still big issues with it...

They have a tag on their hands (like a mini fob / USB) that they literally have to touch to the sensor (like those old car immobilisers that you fiddle with trying to find the &%&^%%$@! hole!)

IMO the proximity sensor of the trailtag would still be a better option as you don't have to stop to tag in / out. BUT - the watch strap thing could be more powerful so that you can go past the "end stage" reader at speed without having to run back 50m to re-scan the (*&^(*ing thing (yes, I had to do that. Second time it didn't read I endo'd 1m past the gate and went OTB in an attempt to get my arm close enough to the reader)

yeah i saw it looked like a USB - i think that may be a good way to do it - each transponder then logs the time you insert the USB ... and thats it - you then also have to come to a complete stop at end of stage to tag out.

I think a lot of gremlins we have here can be solved through minor changes ... like boosting power etc for the modems etc that run the tag systems on the trails.

Just north of Auckland (well 220km) you get The Bay of Islands, in particular Russell. :wub:

That place, Queenstown and Picton are 3 of my fav towns I have EVER been to around the world!

If I could move to NZ I would like to move to Wellington, there are awesome trails one can go do 'after work' cause it is right on your door step. Wellington (although a city) it is nice and small and one can almost walk everywhere.

I really really fell in love in NZ. Unfortunatly there isnt much work in my line.

I will add Russell onto our list of places to visit for a weekend. Thanks!

I will report back! Although I must say I haven't had any issues as a user of the Trailtag system.

I know when I did the Magnetic South Night Ride/Run in Knysna a coupled years ago (kind of an orienteering type night ride) we used something similar to log into the different check points.

Maybe contact the Dreyers and see what they used

I am going to be in Napier from 18-24 February. I see it is about 2 hours from there to Rotorua.

Seems like I should take the Shova with and ride the enduro event on the 22nd Feb.

I am going to be in Napier from 18-24 February. I see it is about 2 hours from there to Rotorua.

Seems like I should take the Shova with and ride the enduro event on the 22nd Feb.

Ek hoop nie jy praat van Conna se Napier nie..... ^_^

I know when I did the Magnetic South Night Ride/Run in Knysna a coupled years ago (kind of an orienteering type night ride) we used something similar to log into the different check points.

Maybe contact the Dreyers and see what they used

actually the collins brothers.

they used these - http://www.sportident.co.uk/

new kids on the (timing) block, smart dudes and link it up to camera for auto finish pic http://www.wildtiming.com/

Auckland for now. Not really any mountain biking in the city, but there's some reasonable riding about 45-60 minutes out.

Woodhill Bike Park near Helensville is awesome.... Less than an hour from Auckland CBD.

I was in NZ for a year leading up to and after the RWC building the additional seating at Eden Park and North Harbour Stadium.

There is another place near woodhill/helensville that is a bit under the radar but epic in winter... White river or some such, I forget the name. There is a small bike/coffee shop on the main drag in Helensville owned by the folk who build the trails there.

It really is a great place, just dont speed, you will get caught.... And be patient when turning right at traffic lights..... You will see when you get there

My brother in law lives in Rotarua. Are the streets really lined with gold or is he being an arse.

Serriously, he goes on and on about how wonderful it is. From the pictures, it looks like a stunning place

• 3 months later...

Nigel, not sure who supplied them, but they used tags that we attached to a finger. At the start and end of each stage we had to stick it into a little gadget. Quite finicky and I think I prefer the trailtag system.