Best Bike for 3 Year Old

Wet Ears

Was hoping you guys and gals could help me out here. Looking to buy a bike for my 3 year old as it is next logical step up from his JD bike (bike with no pedals).

He is pretty tall for his age (97cms). Do I look at a 16 inch or smaller, assume they all come with training wheels?

Budget - give me some ideas!!

Thanks

Edited by Wet Ears

My son used the avalanche 12 inch, and from there he went to a 16 inch.

Honestly speaking, he prefers the 16 inch as it has a conventional brake.

He loves it.

Not badly priced, around R700-900 depending where you go.

I have 6 year old twin boys, they went from JD Bugs onto 16" BMX bikes at about 3 1/2 years old.

The bikes were so heavy and cumbersome they hated riding them.

So I went and bought 2 x 12" cheap and nasty's. They rode them for about 1 year, no training wheels needed after the JD Bug.

They are now on the 16" BMX bikes and loving them.

Rather buy a small, light bike so he can get confident with the pedal action, then worry about a bigger, better bike.

The 12" Bike I have leant to a friend who's daughter was in the same boat with the bigger 16" bike.

Edited by quintonb

Find him something that fits NOW - so it is easy for him to transition to pedalling - once he is up and running he can run a slightly oversize bike.

I did about 40 laps of the garden on sunday after taking my 3 y/o's training wheels off... another weekend and he won't need my help at all.... which is a good thing, because otherwise he is going to KILL me...

Yeah, my boy is so fast on that JD bike that I have to be on my own bike to keep up! Keeps me fit.

Mine rides his down the steps inside the house.... for fun... not good for my composure... I am ok with a couple of steps. but the whole flight gives me the sweats...

I have 6 year old twin boys, they went from JD Bugs onto 16" BMX bikes at about 3 1/2 years old.

The bikes were so heavy and cumbersome they hated riding them.

So I went and bought 2 x 12" cheap and nasty's. They rode them for about 1 year, no training wheels needed after the JD Bug.

They are now on the 16" BMX bikes and loving them.

Rather buy a small, light bike so he can get confident with the pedal action, then worry about a bigger, better bike.

The 12" Bike I have leant to a friend who's daughter was in the same boat with the bigger 16" bike.

agreed - just also steer clear of bikes with a back pedal brake - the kids battle to get the crank into the correct position to start pedalling when they ditch the training wheels.

The problem that I have found with the smaller bikes is the brakes. My little guys hands aren't big or strong enough to pull the brake lever. He is quite small (takes after his mom) and still on a JD Bug at 4 years old and feet as brakes seems to work well for now. That or the garden wall......

Looking to take the next step as well. Put him on an old 10" that his brother used about 10 years ago but need to look at a proper bike for him. Will either be 10" or 12".

I bought my son a 16inch Avalanche for his 3rd birthday. The wheels have rusted to nothing and now some of the parts are starting to rust too. I suppose any kids bike will suffer the same problem. The rust started to set in after a few months. I should've taken it back as it came with a 1 year warranty but never got round to it.

It took him a year or so before he could start to ride it as it was too big. He is 5 now and he is still using it.

Edited by Eugene

I bought my son a 16inch Avalanche for his 3rd birthday. The wheels have rusted to nothing and now some of the parts are starting to rust too. I suppose any kids bike will suffer the same problem. The rust started to set in after a few months. I should've taken it back as it came with a 1 year warranty but never got round to it.

It took him a year or so before he could start to ride it as it was too big. He is 5 now and he is still using it.

My son got his Specialized 16" when he was 3 1/2. Still preferred his KTM (similar to the JD) for the first year as he could do a lot more (flying downhills etc) confidently. Once he got closer to 5, his 16" became the preferred bike to ride. At 5 1/2, he is LOVING his bike and it will last him a little while still even though he is tall for his age.

We have not had any rust issues with the bike. Its still in perfect condition and it gets taken through water, mud, sand etc.

Last ride with training wheels

post-1406-0-20923100-1383820851_thumb.jpg

First ride without training wheels (we didn't push it, waited until he was ready).

post-1406-0-55601300-1383820851_thumb.jpg

My son has had his 16'' Titan Hades bike for almost 2 years no. He is now 5... It works fantastic, bit heavy, but all these bikes are.

They learn how to brake properly with front and back brakes and a shock.

I paid 1500 at Cyclelab 2 years ago.

His next bike will prob be one of those Momsen bikes (SCHWEET!)

The problem that I have found with the smaller bikes is the brakes. My little guys hands aren't big or strong enough to pull the brake lever. He is quite small (takes after his mom) and still on a JD Bug at 4 years old and feet as brakes seems to work well for now. That or the garden wall......

Looking to take the next step as well. Put him on an old 10" that his brother used about 10 years ago but need to look at a proper bike for him. Will either be 10" or 12".

Put some Formula R1 on that bike with reach adjust :ph34r: