KCNC Jockey Wheels for SRAM X9 RD

ValeYellow

I need to change the jockey wheels on my SRAM X9 RD (long cage 10spd new gen top jockey wheel is not offset), but I have not really been given any firm answers in terms of my questions, so here goes:

1. Do I have to replace with original SRAM jockey wheels, as I have read that the OEM parts don't last very long and require stripping and cleaning after pretty much every ride?
  2. Aftermarket replacements, BBB? or KCNC? On a few other sites I have read that the KCNC jockey wheels last for ages and are problem free providing that after each wash the necessary lube is done?
  3. If going the route of KCNC, will these jockey wheels decrease the lifespan of the chain? If so, by how much?
  4. Replacement suggestions from my fellow hubbers will be appreciated

GO ORIGINAL! kcnc jockey wheels are only good for a few rides! then they work best as keychains! Promise you you wont regret going original parts! KCNC bearings literally EXPLODES leavinf you without the tension wheel on the trail

Thanks No Calves, I have had an inclination to go OEM.

Any other thoughts fellow hubbers on this stunning Friday made for riding and not working :wacko:

Srams own spares are pricey but damn they outlast their cheaper counterparts by FAR. ALL my kcnc wheels ended up with me swearing the crap out of them and then using them as keychains

Srams own spares are pricey but damn they outlast their cheaper counterparts by FAR. ALL my kcnc wheels ended up with me swearing the crap out of them and then using them as keychains

A few years ago I was lambasted by my lbs for having KCNC pulleys in my XT rd. They said that it would increase chain wear dramatically. I posed the question here on the Hub and had quite a few replies from happy users, including guys who rode Epic on them with no hassle. Their logic was they they are metely pulleys that the chain runs on.

I did eventually put my original ones back in, but only because I found the KCNC ones noisier on the chain and because grass would regularly get stuck in their open design.

After my last shock at the price of OEM pulleys for my X9 rd, I would consider them again.. It was almost cheaper to buy another 9 speed rd..

M7CW...

Its just funny how in going into some bike shops, first letter of said shops begins with an S and a C :whistling: they are happy to sell me the KCNC ones, but when I pose the question regarding chain wear, its like the deer in the headlights of a truck?

Gonna stick with OEM parts for now, appreciate the advise CAAD4 and No Calves...... :thumbup:

Cannot see how an aluminum pulley can increase chain wear. the pulley will wear out loooooooooooonf before the chain as the pulley material is a lot softer. I use KCNC on my X0 ten speed RD,without any problems other than they a bit noisy. IMHO I thing the little caps or covers are a better design than the OEM ones and they allow less dirt into the bearing area. I would use KCNC again

Eish, decisions - decisions :blink:

madmarc, I agree with you, not sure how the jockey wheels of aluminium will wear down the chain - but this is what the bike shop guys reckon?

I wonder if there is not an incentive for bike shops to sell OEM before aftermarket :whistling:

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it :clap:

How many kilometres/months did the original wheels last? I can't really say mine (original) has a short lifespan. They last more than a year. I have not tried 'generic' jockey wheels.

I see on the little wheels that a top and a bottom jockey wheel is indicated. I have even used them the 'wrong' way around and I can't really say I noticed a difference.

Recently replaced my XO jockeywheels with Hope jockey wheels as the chain started slipping from wheels causing chain to derail. No hassles thus far, hope they last longer than SRAM wheels

I just get the cheapest jockey wheels I can find, there is only marginal difference in durability or performance between the brands. Last pair cost R150 , have sealed bearings and I didn't notice any riding difference between them and the XTR pulleys they replaced. The original XTR pulleys were something crazy like close to R500 a pair - not for the price conscious cyclist!!!

XO

I just get the cheapest jockey wheels I can find, there is only marginal difference in durability or performance between the brands. Last pair cost R150 , have sealed bearings and I didn't notice any riding difference between them and the XTR pulleys they replaced. The original XTR pulleys were something crazy like close to R500 a pair - not for the price conscious cyclist!!!

XO will set you back almost 1k

I need to change the jockey wheels on my SRAM X9 RD (long cage 10spd new gen top jockey wheel is not offset), but I have not really been given any firm answers in terms of my questions, so here goes:

1. Do I have to replace with original SRAM jockey wheels, as I have read that the OEM parts don't last very long and require stripping and cleaning after pretty much every ride?

2. Aftermarket replacements, BBB? or KCNC? On a few other sites I have read that the KCNC jockey wheels last for ages and are problem free providing that after each wash the necessary lube is done?

3. If going the route of KCNC, will these jockey wheels decrease the lifespan of the chain? If so, by how much?

4. Replacement suggestions from my fellow hubbers will be appreciated

bru kcnc is *** when it comes to jockey pulleys I have seen teeth break as well as how they disintergrate in muddy conditions and if you are lucky to not have one of these things happen you will most certainly experience them develop a horrible wobble that causes a chatter on the back cassette that you will not correct no matter how much you fiddle I use the BBB 170 bucks and you are good for about 6 months depending on weather