Not a 26 vs 29 Troll, just a question...

rival

There are so many threads on the 26 vs 29 topic, and sorting through the trolling threads, and yes, no, yes, no threads is a bit tedious, so please excuse my bringing this up again.

Guy at the office is looking at buying his first bicycle, and he is quite tall. When he walked into the LBS he was told straight away that he's too big for a 26" and that he has to buy a 29er, also something about being too heavy for a 26" frame. This p'd me off quite a bit, and we've been arguing this at the office the last couple of days, and my questions are quite simple I think.

1. Can you be too big for a 26" inch bicycle? We've been looking at 26 vs 29 geometry, and they don't seem to be that different when comparing similar frame sizes.

2. Is there any difference in frame strength between a 26" and 29er frame?

I'm trying to remember if I saw tall people riding bicycles 5 years ago, or whether they were never fortunate enough to be able to ride until 29ers came out, but I can't remember that far back [super sarcastic face here].

Disclaimer: These questions are purely based on geometry and not the ride, and is in no way intended to bash any wheel size preference. :thumbup:

You spoke of answer 1 already- your 'guy' should have asked the 'salesperson' what tall & heavy guys rode pre 29ers...

That salesperson is a chop!!!!

I'm on 26ers (@1.78M), but have always recommended 29ers for the bigger guys...

Short answer is no, on both counts. Only difference would be the wheel size and chainstays length given the same size bike.

Basically the salesman was talking bull excrement

Short answer is no, on both counts. Only difference would be the wheel size and chainstays length given the same size bike.

Basically the salesman was talking bull excrement

& bb clearance perhaps?

No doesn`t sound right about too being big for wheels or too heavy for 26" frame. But yeah, I would also recommend a 29er for a tall person`s 1st bike.

Maybe the sales person were referring to a specific 26" at the shop?

Edited by Mr X

I call bs from the lbs point of view, frames do have weight limitations but these would be the same for a 26 and 29 version of the same bike, within a slight variation, i.e the specialized camber which moved from a 26 wheels to 29 this year if I am not mistaken.

Carbon has a much lower weight restriction than alu but again depending on the weave etc these vary, oh and dont foget price.

As for being too big I suppose if he is Michael Jordan then yes otherwise just buy the correct size frame be done with it.

Edited by DaddyG

I wouldnt buy from a salesman that spews that gibberish.

+1

26ers are being sold at discounts at many places as they are perceived to be obsolete LMAO.

The reason why LBS's are pushing 29er and 650b........ its more expensive. ....... at one point 650b tyres were almost a grand each........