Giant Reign 2013

Bra B

Guest Omega Man

Hey guys

Anyone ridden a 2013 Reign or can give feedback? Looking at buying one.

Checked out all the posts, and so far so good. Good reviews as well on other sites.

http://www.giant-bic...#specifications

Thanks

B

The lower linkages break cos the bolts holding the chainguide slowly chow into the link until it goes. Happens to the Reign and the Reign X (what I have) The links are cheap and it's not like they go every day and if you can do a 1x10 setup then the problem goes away. To be fair I've only heard of it happen to 1 Reign. But it happens to all Reign X's. don't let that put you off tho. They are great bikes.

The Maestro/DW link suspension is awesome. pedals like a beast. I can highly recommend it.

Damn good value and really nice bikes for what you pay vs what you get.

Edited by Omega Man

I can't comment being an owner of a reign, but I rode a friend's (older model with pierced downtube) & although it's a heavier frame as the 1 you are looking at it rides like a beast!

Think reviews said like half a pound difference in frame weight, so the new one will be a lot better.

I do own a Trance with a 150mm fork & that bike rules!

What price can you get on it?

New or 2nd?

I can't comment being an owner of a reign, but I rode a friend's (older model with pierced downtube) & although it's a heavier frame as the 1 you are looking at it rides like a beast!

Think reviews said like half a pound difference in frame weight, so the new one will be a lot better.

I do own a Trance with a 150mm fork & that bike rules!

What price can you get on it?

New or 2nd?

What Trance you ridding? Looked at the new trance 2, sweet ride!

Getting it new for 25k

Still have a 2009 Trance. The model with the curved top tube.

My main bike is a Morewood Shova (at the moment)

You looking at a 650B trance for R25k? or the Reign?

I can organise you a bit better deal on either of the bikes.

post-25067-0-67211200-1384016228_thumb.jpg

Edited by DubbelBuys

Still have a 2009 Trance. The model with the curved top tube.

My main bike is a Morewood Shova (at the moment)

You looking at a 650B trance for R25k? or the Reign?

I can organise you a bit better deal on either of the bikes.

25k for the Reign

Better price? Do tell more...

Will confirm the price on monday.

You can send me a reminder PM on monday morning & I will reply to that.

Sweet, will do

Thanx man

650B!!!!! hahahaha

just to make your decision harder let see which one looks more awesome ....

or...http://www.northernbikes.com.au/files/cache/49bffb2c774a3aadb425de4a1c45f2e0_f1545.jpg

http://img3.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/796/media/images/2013_Giant_Reign_1_404407.jpg

I have the 2013 Reign. It does indeed pedal really well, and if you built it up a bit lighter ie XC tyres and wheels, it would handle long races well. I found the suspension needed tuning to work well on the descents. Both the shock and fork were too linear in spring rate for my 84kg. I bought a set of aircan spacers for the float ctd and a bigger spacer has made the shock much better. The fork is harder to resolve - the negativity around the 2013 CTD forks was justified. I added float fluid to the airchamber and that definitly helped a bit and with some extra air it handles just about anything well. Its just not the plushest or stiffest fork around...

Mine is converted to 1x10 and I can climb most steep stuff, its just more tiring. I have also lost the chain a few times despite setting the clutch as stiff as possible and am thinking of putting a guide back on.

I have the 2013 Reign. It does indeed pedal really well, and if you built it up a bit lighter ie XC tyres and wheels, it would handle long races well. I found the suspension needed tuning to work well on the descents. Both the shock and fork were too linear in spring rate for my 84kg. I bought a set of aircan spacers for the float ctd and a bigger spacer has made the shock much better. The fork is harder to resolve - the negativity around the 2013 CTD forks was justified. I added float fluid to the airchamber and that definitly helped a bit and with some extra air it handles just about anything well. Its just not the plushest or stiffest fork around...

Mine is converted to 1x10 and I can climb most steep stuff, its just more tiring. I have also lost the chain a few times despite setting the clutch as stiff as possible and am thinking of putting a guide back on.

Sram or shimano?

I had a 2011 Reign 0, and after a brief period on a TX29 1 mid year, have finally gotten my 2014 Trance 27.5 2.

Do yourself a favour - rather get a new Trance 27.5 (650B).

My first ride on it was this weekend at Groenkloof, and it is everything that I had hoped for.

Faster than the Reign, but still eats the bumps and jumps. It has amazing flow though fast twisty single track, changing direction faster than the TX29er and gripping better than the Reign, even though I was running with a little too much pressure in the tyres as it was a new tubeless conversion.

The SLX Shadow Plus drivetrain with stock chain device is quiet, shifts perfectly, and in no way makes me fel like I should make it a 1x10 or anything studpid like that. It just works...

The only thing that it really needs is a dropper post (stealth routed), and the jury is still out on the brakes, but they may just need more time to bed in.

GET THE TRANCE 27.5!!!!