my review on Sani2c vs Berg & bush vs W2W

VicanZA

another problem i pickup at these events is the organizers are trying to cram in as much single track as they can, it would be better to have single track for a couple of km followed by section of dirt road or dual track as this gives the faster rides chances to pass without putting both riders at risk. At the W2W i saw 1 lady go off a cliff(single track) and heard of another falling 3 meters from a bridge.

I dont know if these lady riders had guys putting pressure behind them or what the case was, i almost went off myself when the ladies partner was running down the single track straight at me!!

seeding doesn't really work as someone who is keen will do lots of races and as a result will be further up the field than there skill permits.

If u wanna ride great single track, go with 2 or 3 friends and gooi!!!! stage races will just disappoint you if u think clean runs lie a head.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

another problem i pickup at these events is the organizers are trying to cram in as much single track as they can, it would be better to have single track for a couple of km followed by section of dirt road or dual track as this gives the faster rides chances to pass without putting both riders at risk. At the W2W i saw 1 lady go off a cliff(single track) and heard of another falling 3 meters from a bridge.

I dont know if these lady riders had guys putting pressure behind them or what the case was, i almost went off myself when the ladies partner was running down the single track straight at me!!

seeding doesn't really work as someone who is keen will do lots of races and as a result will be further up the field than there skill permits.

If u wanna ride great single track, go with 2 or 3 friends and gooi!!!! stage races will just disappoint you if u think clean runs lie a head.

The towers(mark and geoff) have it down to an art....you are not held up in singletrack...doesn't matter where you ride.

They don't oversubscribe the race

They make you climb lots on district road and jeep track and bring you down on the most amazing singletrack

Climbing gets done mostly in the first half of every day....so the pack sorts itself out quick quick.

They don't manicure the trails.

The towers(mark and geoff) have it down to an art....you are not held up in singletrack...doesn't matter where you ride.

They don't oversubscribe the race

They make you climb lots on district road and jeep track and bring you down on the most amazing singletrack

Climbing gets done mostly in the first half of every day....so the pack sorts itself out quick quick.

They don't manicure the trails.

You may sometimes find somebody all by himself having a quick fag before the next hill , but he will be off the trail sitting under the shade of a tree .

You may sometimes find somebody all by himself having a quick fag before the next hill , but he will be off the trail sitting under the shade of a tree .

whahahaa that bultjie on day 2 made me lam. But junior's and sappi bushtunnel made me smile all the way down

This is the key element that most of the races today have lost sight of

True...sani with all the good work it has done has become exactly that...oversubscribed. You queue for eating, pee'ing, showering, getting boxes, giving in boxes, charging devices, getting drinks. The same trails were such a better experience on joberg2c. I am not talking about on the trails though, just queues in the camp. They are fully subscribed every year though so they must be doing something right....not my scene though

True...sani with all the good work it has done has become exactly that...oversubscribed. You queue for eating, pee'ing, showering, getting boxes, giving in boxes, charging devices, getting drinks. The same trails were such a better experience on joberg2c. I am not talking about on the trails though, just queues in the camp. They are fully subscribed every year though so they must be doing something right....not my scene though

Is this cause you changing over to the roadie side??????

You should be posting here https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/130351-947-cycle-challenge-2013/page__st__880

Edited by flat29

Is this cause you changing over to the roadie side??????

shhhhhhh its a secret...

but no, it spoils the experience for me...the queues in the camp that is....its not small and personal anymore. Something like jozi2kozi appeals to me or even swazi frontier. I care rocks about aca joe merchandise and freebies.

I do think in SA there is a market for well planned 3-4 day rides in Areas that are not always available to ride.

If you take the fees for s2c and wtw you should be able to easily ride a trail and sleep in BnB` s for a tour lasting 4 days.

We are blessed in Sa with a wealth of mounty routes.

I feel the ...Next big thing..will be guided tours in remote areas.

S2c is nice ,day 2 is the best ,but many of the areas are badly rutted from braking and sort of spoils the ride.

b: Even though we were in the top 30 teams, I still had to dawdle behind riders that couldn't ride switchbacks

c: that I wasn't strong & fit enough to overtake them before every trail :(

Maybe technical skills are all relative, just can't see how one ride Day 2 in under 3 hours on fitness alone without some decent technical skills.

Well done on the Top 30 finish by the way :thumbup:

Ranking:

1.) Berg Bush- Vibe, Tech Descent even though I suck, food and water tables

2.) W2W- We did the muddy adventure, would love to do this in the dry as well, loved it

3.) Sani- Nice goodie bag

I've done a heap of Sani2Cs and W2Ws and what saddens me is how the culture of mountain biking has changed over the years. What went from fun events out with a mate in some beautiful surroundings where riding your bike was more important than your position and what you got in the goodie bag, have become tooth and nail, don't give an inch, dash for the finish line - etiquette and manners be damned.

It's no wonder Enduro riding is the new mountain biking - tough technical riding with a bunch of mates where it's about the ride and not so much about the time, followed by beer.

Now get off my lawn!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

i have been fortunate enough to do all 3 events this year and thought i would share..I'm not going back to do all 3 again as i would like to try others.(may do 1)

Sani2c- by far the toughest on distance alone 280km is hard work. day 2 is some of the best riding I've done.

B&B- the most technical fast descents on lots of single track. 188km day 2 was shortened on a count of the wind.

W2W- the most scenic, the mandatory portage on day 1 u will never forget. 229km.

If you have done any of the 3 share u thoughts and which 1 would u go back to?

I did all three this year also. I really can't believe my luck. I also did a 3 day adventure in Botswana this year. Will post a bit of my views on the 3 rides here soon. :)

I've done a heap of Sani2Cs and W2Ws and what saddens me is how the culture of mountain biking has changed over the years. What went from fun events out with a mate in some beautiful surroundings where riding your bike was more important than your position and what you got in the goodie bag, have become tooth and nail, don't give an inch, dash for the finish line - etiquette and manners be damned.

It's no wonder Enduro riding is the new mountain biking - tough technical riding with a bunch of mates where it's about the ride and not so much about the time, followed by beer.

Now get off my lawn!

But don't the batches and different races give you enough options to still chill and have fun? I'm not a stage race veteran, but did Sani, W2W and B&B this year. Even in the Sani race, I found that you could just do your own thing if you wanted, but there is a competitive side for the guys that are going for time.

But don't the batches and different races give you enough options to still chill and have fun? I'm not a stage race veteran, but did Sani, W2W and B&B this year. Even in the Sani race, I found that you could just do your own thing if you wanted, but there is a competitive side for the guys that are going for time.

Of course, but when I'm trying to chill back in the B batch and there are some morons who lose all decency and etiquette and are chasing every second to the detriment of those around them I get a little annoyed.

Like the guys who expect the girls to get out the way, but won't return the favour when they're holding up people in the single track.

If they were such good racers, they should be in A, otherwise it's just a fun ride. No one cares if you came 56th at Sani.

My point is that people seem so focussed on racing from the back that they forget to have fun.