2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

So just wondering if it,s just me that battles to get this bike to fit right on my Thule. Mine is a medium frame and if i mount it on Top tube right in front of seat post and then down tube other end then the front wheel sticks out by a long way. So i have taken to mounting it behind the seatpost on the Maestro pivot brackets and then on down tube other end, this makes it fit nicely behind the car but then im using both holders on one side of the rack. This essentially makes my 2 bike rack into a single ...so sorry for my buddys bike no space .. :eek:

I think i will go buy another clamp and that should work for a second bike...

any other suggestions, no money left to buy another rack so please don't suggest that :(

I have a BNB rack and clamp it on the toptube at the little kink

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im loving my bike - only mod made is a change to American Classic AM wheelset and I want to change the brakes to SLX and get a dropper post.

Can anyone tell me what the seatpost diameter is for this bike? and weather it can take a dropper post with internal routing - like reverb stealth?

Im loving my bike - only mod made is a change to American Classic AM wheelset and I want to change the brakes to SLX and get a dropper post.

Can anyone tell me what the seatpost diameter is for this bike? and weather it can take a dropper post with internal routing - like reverb stealth?

30.9 and yes you should be able to. I think

the seatpost diameter is 30.9mm,

and

yes, it can setup for internal routing. if you look at the way the gear cabling is routed it should make sense (might have to adapt one of those plugs or buy a double one, like you have for the exit of the gear cable underneath)

30.9 and yes you should be able to. I think

Yes, internal routing is possible for stealth dropper - i have it set up with the Giant dropper.

Thanks, cant wait to get me a dropper post. Although I wont have the excuse of adjusting saddle height to have a quick rest after that :P

I recently upgraded the wheelset, brakes, and fork on this bike. The main reason i did the raft of upgrades was because of my size. At +/- 105kgs I was having problems with my tubeless setup with stock wheels and tires. I was always riding with pressures too high because low pressures would squirm in corners or when going downhill on the brakes, and usually burp fully if a jump landing wasn't spot on. So for wheels i went with some Stans Flow EX rims and hope pro 2 evo hubs. I also upgraded the rear to 142x12 - cant actually feel any difference yet, but the adapter kit was like 100 bucks if you already have the thru axle - so I thought, why not?

The flows have a nice wide rim allowing me to run low pressures. For tires i went for Hans Dampf (2.35 front and 2.25 rear). And my tires now behave properly (read fantastically) at similar pressures to what all of you light guys run :clap: . I will probably take the stickers off the rims so get a nice clean look - thoughts?

I had no complaints with the original brakes actually, but upgraded to SLX ice tech anyway after reading about it, with 203/180 ice tech rotors front and rear respectively - for a bit more bite. The jump in performance was extreme - much greater than expected. Let me explain. When the new brakeset came, both front and rear pads were contaminated out the box - with horrible noise and performance. The front pads were changed by LBS (who didnt know rear was contaminated too) and rotor cleaned. When i was bedding in the brakes i was very impressed with the performance - I was getting very quick stops. Once i isolated the brake bedding process, i realised that the rear brake was barely working at all, as a result of the contamination it would not even lock up at all if i was seated, or didnt put my weight over the bars. So essentially, i was getting better stops with just the front brake than with both the old brakes - i understand that the front does most of the work anyway, but was impressed in any case.

With the fork, I had been tinkering with the setup of the original to try and get it to ride the way i wanted, and it was pretty much there. I was using small volume adjustments of the air chamber to get it right. But all the reading online and an impulse buy saw me upgrade the front fork to a rockshox pike 160mm. This can be brought to 150/140mm but i havent felt the need to do this - the bike is now (in terms of geometry) essentially a trance SX but without the on-the-fly travel adjust. I LOVE it.

Now that the upgrading is done, the slips successfully hidden from my GF, and enough baked beans bought to get me through the next month or so (I'm pretty broke after the process), it is time to just get on this thing and put in the miles with a smile on my face!

post-44829-0-09995900-1406541693_thumb.jpg

post-44829-0-92028200-1406541697_thumb.jpg

post-44829-0-09920900-1406541701_thumb.jpg

post-44829-0-61993100-1406541704_thumb.jpg

post-44829-0-84240600-1406541714_thumb.jpg

post-44829-0-06727800-1406541792_thumb.jpg

post-44829-0-02639700-1406541794_thumb.jpg

Woohoooo after my second outing on the bike i know that i have definately chosen the right machine...Lovvvvving it

Decided to bite the bullet with a 2014, before the 2015 model price hike. Want to add a Giant dropper... Excited!

You won't regret it :thumbup:

I recently upgraded the wheelset, brakes, and fork on this bike. The main reason i did the raft of upgrades was because of my size. At +/- 105kgs I was having problems with my tubeless setup with stock wheels and tires. I was always riding with pressures too high because low pressures would squirm in corners or when going downhill on the brakes, and usually burp fully if a jump landing wasn't spot on. So for wheels i went with some Stans Flow EX rims and hope pro 2 evo hubs. I also upgraded the rear to 142x12 - cant actually feel any difference yet, but the adapter kit was like 100 bucks if you already have the thru axle - so I thought, why not?

The flows have a nice wide rim allowing me to run low pressures. For tires i went for Hans Dampf (2.35 front and 2.25 rear). And my tires now behave properly (read fantastically) at similar pressures to what all of you light guys run :clap: . I will probably take the stickers off the rims so get a nice clean look - thoughts?

I had no complaints with the original brakes actually, but upgraded to SLX ice tech anyway after reading about it, with 203/180 ice tech rotors front and rear respectively - for a bit more bite. The jump in performance was extreme - much greater than expected. Let me explain. When the new brakeset came, both front and rear pads were contaminated out the box - with horrible noise and performance. The front pads were changed by LBS (who didnt know rear was contaminated too) and rotor cleaned. When i was bedding in the brakes i was very impressed with the performance - I was getting very quick stops. Once i isolated the brake bedding process, i realised that the rear brake was barely working at all, as a result of the contamination it would not even lock up at all if i was seated, or didnt put my weight over the bars. So essentially, i was getting better stops with just the front brake than with both the old brakes - i understand that the front does most of the work anyway, but was impressed in any case.

With the fork, I had been tinkering with the setup of the original to try and get it to ride the way i wanted, and it was pretty much there. I was using small volume adjustments of the air chamber to get it right. But all the reading online and an impulse buy saw me upgrade the front fork to a rockshox pike 160mm. This can be brought to 150/140mm but i havent felt the need to do this - the bike is now (in terms of geometry) essentially a trance SX but without the on-the-fly travel adjust. I LOVE it.

Now that the upgrading is done, the slips successfully hidden from my GF, and enough baked beans bought to get me through the next month or so (I'm pretty broke after the process), it is time to just get on this thing and put in the miles with a smile on my face!

That is a lovely set up. A 160mm Pike dual position would be perfect on my Reign

That is a lovely set up. A 160mm Pike dual position would be perfect on my Reign

Do it!! You won't regret it.

Sold my 2012 26" stumpjumper FSR.

Looking at replacing it with Trance, either the 2 (R26k) or the SX(R38k).

Heart says SX, brain says the 2.

I have the cash but obviously a R12k saving would be great. I'm quite tall and about 88KG and ride hard, like to hit the big stuff.

The 160mm travel 34 Talas will come in handy, along with the better crank, rims, hubs etc. I was thinking about getting the Trance 2 and then upgrading slowly if needed.

Sold my 2012 26" stumpjumper FSR.

Looking at replacing it with Trance, either the 2 (R26k) or the SX(R38k).

Heart says SX, brain says the 2.

I have the cash but obviously a R12k saving would be great. I'm quite tall and about 88KG and ride hard, like to hit the big stuff.

The 160mm travel 34 Talas will come in handy, along with the better crank, rims, hubs etc. I was thinking about getting the Trance 2 and then upgrading slowly if needed.

What I'd do - get the trance 2, sell the fork that's on there and upgrade it to a Pike 160mm or the TALAS, and buy a dropper. You'll have the equivalent of an SX, with 2x10. And in that lekker black that they've got going on with the Trance 2. And you'll have paid less.

The Trance 2 comes with SLX brake upgrade, Gaint dropper and Tubeless for R25500 at Action.

I was worried about the 1x 10 on the SX. I am a great descender not so great on the ascent haha, need the granny gear.

So basically you recommend me just getting the trance 2 and then swapping the fork? What about the rims, hubs? The SX also has a different geometry.

Archived