2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

1. Take the fork off the bike

2. Let the air out and set rebound to the slowest setting (Compress fork to ensure ALL air is out)

3. Remove all seals 

4. Remove all oil from internals.

5. Use "stripped" fork for funky conversation piece

6. Buy a Rockshox Revelation.

7. Fit, set and forget

8. Tell a funny story around the campfire about how that one time your bike came with a Fox etc.

wahhahaha very funny ....now how about some real advise...pleeeeeeeeeeez

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok so still on the hunt for a decent wheel set.. Its so freakin hard to decide , so many choices. but... I've kind of narrowed it down to 2 options.  

1.  ZTR Flow ex's on Hope hubs (the safe and trusted bet) or
  2. American Classic Wide Lightning (couple hundred bucks more)

Im pretty torn between the 2. The weight saving on the AM is very tempting. But I worry about the strength for trail/ Am use.

any thoughts out there? any one been running the AM's?

Iwan Kemp ran them for a while. Talk to him about them...

I'd go for the AC's. 4.2mm wider (internal) than the Flow EX is a good thing on an AM bike and they're rated as an enduro rim.

ok so still on the hunt for a decent wheel set..

...any thoughts out there? any one been running the AM's?

Iwan Kemp ran them for a while. Talk to him about them...

PM sent

Has anyone replaced the chain idler wheels on the Trance 2?

Or is there an alternative?

The bearing in one of mine has seized and will not be un-seized even after popping the seals and applying paraffin.

Has anyone replaced the chain idler wheels on the Trance 2?

Or is there an alternative?

The bearing in one of mine has seized and will not be un-seized even after popping the seals and applying paraffin.

Let it sit in the paraffin for a while and then swill it like you would a good whisky, for a long time. It'll start the process of removing the dirt from the bearings, I promise.

Otherwise... you can replace the idler with some nylon. I kid you not...

Just some more feedback on this bad boy ;-)

Completed Die Burger (aka Stellenbosch Tour) on this bike - with knobblies...and although my bottom is still numb...it was an awesome ride up and downhill.

AFAIK this isn't the standard spec

http://cyclefactory.co.za/shop/index.php/bicycles/mountain-bikes/full-suspension-mountain-bikes/giant-trance-x2.html

Alu Frame | RockShox Sektor Fork | RockShox Monarch RT Shock | SRAM X7 2x10

That is the Carbon Advanced model.

From the detailed specs on the same page:

FRAME

Advanced-Grade Composite, 5.5" Maestro Suspension /ALUXX SL Rear Triangle

But yet it says Alu Frame at the top... So which is it?

Tks cpt armpies; I did eventually get it freed up, re-greased and seals back on but I'm not too hopeful of its life as we enter the wet (rainy)season.

Ja, I couldn't find a replacement on CRC so figure a nylon wheel; maybe a block as on a dirt bike but the idler does "bend" the chain quite a bit in some gears so it could wear.

At that price it should be the Alu Trance 2

A birdie told me a few months ago that the 2014 Carbon Trance 2's (the yellow ones with Rockshox) are going super cheap so there may be chance...

2014 Alu T2's should be R22 000 or so.

That is the Carbon Advanced model.

From the detailed specs on the same page:

FRAME

Advanced-Grade Composite, 5.5" Maestro Suspension /ALUXX SL Rear Triangle

But yet it says Alu Frame at the top... So which is it?

Yeah I cant figure out what's going on with that listing. 

One part of the description says carbon, the other part says aluminium. The spec also does not match what giant released. 

I dont know what these bikes go for now, but the price seems insanely high, not special at all for a aluminium x2... I bought mine for R20500 when it was still a new model.  

EDIT: I phoned them. They didn't really seem to care at all about what the website says. I asked about whether it was carbon or alu... all he wanted to know was "what is the price", I told him and he replied that its aluminium. "they are busy working on their website" was his response when I told him its incorrectly advertised as carbon.

Archived