Tri-bike advice

Ville rider

I see no logic to the Cervelo is better comment other than fashionable perception. For transparency, I ride a Slice.

Both are excellent bikes, each has its benefits. See the Felt vs Argon thread a little lower for my comments about geometry and fit for you.

The value of a new this vs a second hand that is moot as you are not comparing apples with apples. Of course you will get a better deal buying second hand. If the Cannondale is the right bike for you then find a second hand one. Mine is NOT for sale! :D

The Slice's particular design is designed to make it easier to run off the bike. It makes no claim to be the most aero. Although most manufacturers claims on aero are quite difficult to substantiate as there is no independent testing.

As far as the Slice's pedigree:

Chrissie won 4 world championships on a Slice

Rinnie one her first world championship on a Slice

Last week, Victor Del Corral biked a 4h15 bike split then followed with a 2h37m29 run (3rd fastest IM marathon ever) on a Slice (not even the new RS) 10th fastest Iron distance time ever.

So make up your own mind based on whether the bike is the right fit for you.

how so? (compared to other TT bikes that is)?

I see no logic to the Cervelo is better comment other than fashionable perception. For transparency, I ride a Slice.

Both are excellent bikes, each has its benefits. See the Felt vs Argon thread a little lower for my comments about geometry and fit for you.

The value of a new this vs a second hand that is moot as you are not comparing apples with apples. Of course you will get a better deal buying second hand. If the Cannondale is the right bike for you then find a second hand one. Mine is NOT for sale! :D

The Slice's particular design is designed to make it easier to run off the bike. It makes no claim to be the most aero. Although most manufacturers claims on aero are quite difficult to substantiate as there is no independent testing.

As far as the Slice's pedigree:

Chrissie won 4 world championships on a Slice

Rinnie one her first world championship on a Slice

Last week, Victor Del Corral biked a 4h15 bike split then followed with a 2h37m29 run (3rd fastest IM marathon ever) on a Slice (not even the new RS) 10th fastest Iron distance time ever.

So make up your own mind based on whether the bike is the right fit for you.

If you think that pedigree is impressive, have a look at what Cervelo (especially the P3) has done over the past few years.... ;)

Geometry promotes a more open hip angle. Your position is somewhat compromised with a higher front end, but its nice to be able to use your legs a bit once you are done riding.

Both bikes are fantastic, I ride a Slice, which is the best bike I have ever ridden. I have the Hi Mod frame which is apparently lighter and stiffer than the one that comes with the 105 group, so check the weight vs the Cervelo.

If I recall correctly the Slice was also designed for a longer leg / shorter torso type build so it is a bit more upright, with the Cervelo having a longer top tube and a lower body position. But of course you need the right bar on the bike otherwise the geometry is irrelevant.

I recommend that you read the reviews on (especially) slowtwitch, bikeradar etc... there is a lot of info out there.

Finally make a decision based on the fit. In triathlon / TT fit is king

Both bikes are fantastic, I ride a Slice, which is the best bike I have ever ridden. I have the Hi Mod frame which is apparently lighter and stiffer than the one that comes with the 105 group, so check the weight vs the Cervelo.

If I recall correctly the Slice was also designed for a longer leg / shorter torso type build so it is a bit more upright, with the Cervelo having a longer top tube and a lower body position. But of course you need the right bar on the bike otherwise the geometry is irrelevant.

I recommend that you read the reviews on (especially) slowtwitch, bikeradar etc... there is a lot of info out there.

Finally make a decision based on the fit. In triathlon / TT fit is king

How did you decide that the Slice was the best fit for you? Were you able to test a couple frames out first before settling on the Slice?

My worry in that in SA I cant walk into a bike shop which has 4 different brands in my side to try (if there is one I dont know about please tell me)

So do you go for a retul fit and then try and match those measurements to bike geometry?

The rear seat stays have a specific hour glass shape that are designed to absorb road vibration. Reduces stress on the core and lower back.

Not necessarily completely unique but is a specific feature. Most bikes have straight seat stays.

If you think that pedigree is impressive, have a look at what Cervelo (especially the P3) has done over the past few years.... ;)

The P3 has an incredible pedigree. No doubt.

My point is that the OP should actually evaluate what bike is best for him. Not take simple statements like 'P3 is definitely better' as the basis for his decision.

Cannondale, lifetime warranty on the frame and there's no better motivation to get you on the bike than riding a new bike! I have a 3 year old Slice, upgraded wheels and groupset, I love it!

Cervelo also comes with a lifetime warranty! :thumbup:

My worry in that in SA I cant walk into a bike shop which has 4 different brands in my side to try (if there is one I dont know about please tell me)

You got to do research. There is plenty of information on the web about every frame. Don't confuse groupset choices with frame. Find the frame that is right, then the version/model with the right specs for your budget.

I spent over six months looking at bikes second hand and was never convinced that one was right until I saw the Slice frame on here. Did the research, believed it was the right one and purchased it.

That could be any brand or model for the OP. Just do the research so you don't buy the wrong thing.

It takes a rare salesman to sell you the one that is best for you and not the one he makes the biggest GP on.

Anyone tried the KTM Solus before? Nice specs and similar frame to the P3

No, but there were two in the rack next to me at 5150......very nice looking bikes.

The P3 has an incredible pedigree. No doubt.

My point is that the OP should actually evaluate what bike is best for him. Not take simple statements like 'P3 is definitely better' as the basis for his decision.

Some TT bikes have a seat angle of 78deg.Unless you are very flexible you could end up with a injury.Some on the bikes allow you to change between 74-78deg.

You got to do research. There is plenty of information on the web about every frame. Don't confuse groupset choices with frame. Find the frame that is right, then the version/model with the right specs for your budget.

I spent over six months looking at bikes second hand and was never convinced that one was right until I saw the Slice frame on here. Did the research, believed it was the right one and purchased it.

That could be any brand or model for the OP. Just do the research so you don't buy the wrong thing.

It takes a rare salesman to sell you the one that is best for you and not the one he makes the biggest GP on.

Some research....havent had a chance to go through it yet but if anyone is interested have a look

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html

• 2 weeks later...