94.7 - Ridiculous Racing Tandem Circus

janneman72

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We once seeded for the racing Tandems. We started right at the back as we knew we were totally out of our league.

I do detest the absolutely downright rude remarks made here by some. It is uncalled for and unnecessary.

"Tannies" will most talk with a raised voice at cyclists when those who ride half bicycles sit in your slipstream without pulling on the front as well. Swearing has no place in cycling, unlike the "Vets" and ladies groups where swearing cussing and foul language is the norm. Those tail sitters I normally deal with. Switch them and make them fall very hard.

Yeah I must say - the comments are quite derogatory towards women on the back of mixed tandems, my wife being one them. She is hardly a "tannie" and I must say that it's usually the male tandems that behave worse. Its been over a year since my wife built up the courage to race again because of some of the male tandem's antics.

If one were to sling insults around kit / behavior on the bike, start antics etc, I would say that there a good 30,000 odd other appropriate targets for this.

No I was one of the one's that started near the back and probably whipped you ^_^

Maybe you whipped us, maybe not. If you were one of the first 10 mixed tandems in the main bunch, then my apologies, if not, well then we whipped your arses. All good fun though :thumbup:

We once seeded for the racing Tandems. We started right at the back as we knew we were totally out of our league.

I do detest the absolutely downright rude remarks made here by some. It is uncalled for and unnecessary.

"Tannies" will most talk with a raised voice at cyclists when those who ride half bicycles sit in your slipstream without pulling on the front as well. Swearing has no place in cycling, unlike the "Vets" and ladies groups where swearing cussing and foul language is the norm. Those tail sitters I normally deal with. Switch them and make them fall very hard.

I have done a quite a few races with my wife on our tandem and have to agree. Apart from being shouted at (something about holding onto lines, etc) going up Wynberg Hill by the wannabee's (A to D seeding) and hazbeens (Vets) you have allot going on on the bike as well. Something simple like standing and pedaling, approaching a traffic circle or 4 way stop or even the unpredictable nature of a water point enroute have to be communicated to the stoker by the steerer. Often you ride a gearing ratio that is somewhere between your own comfort zone and that of your partner's, you have to deal with people making sudden and unpredictable movements around you and you have to pull them all along when there is a slight headwind or down-hill.

Before getting vocal about tandem riders, go rent one and do a tandem ride to see what skills are involved here.

I think they started at the back of the bunch and didn't run to the line, then they only came "alive" and into play at the top of Witkoppen and rode off alone from there and in the head wind of the N14 to the finish line basically, all on their own. Truly a strong team! The rest of us tried to catch them without any luck and ended 4 or 5 minutes behind them.

Due to that, the first 25 or so tandems ended up with a faster time than last years overall tandem winners! A hard ride and I can feel my legs today!!!

Yeah they are very strong, at the last local race 2 weekends ago, they dropped the whole peloton with like 20km to go and did a tandem victory. Much respect to them

Maybe you whipped us, maybe not. If you were one of the first 10 mixed tandems in the main bunch, then my apologies, if not, well then we whipped your arses. All good fun though :thumbup:

So from what you are saying, if a mixed tandem finished behind you, they are rubbish and shouldn't be part of the racing tandems?

What was your official time?

Dude seriously, let it go.

Switching others.............wow.....sooooo brave, you such a tough guy......not........more like a frikkin coward!!

So from what you are saying, if a mixed tandem finished behind you, they are rubbish and shouldn't be part of the racing tandems?

What was your official time?

Read the thread. Rattlesnake said: "No I was one of the one's that started near the back and probably whipped you" with a smiley face, and I responded that if they were in the main bunch they might have whipped us with a "thumbs up". Before that I also mentioned that the first 25 odd tandems this year were faster than last years overall tandem winners, which is awesome!!!

The only thing I said about the social tandems was: If the "tannies" wants to jump the line at the start, they must consider social tandems. And I think everyone will agree with that. We rode a sub 2:30 like mentioned before.

Just read the thread the properly next time before getting all psyched up.

Switching others.............wow.....sooooo brave, you such a tough guy......not........more like a frikkin coward!!

Abuse me, use me, swear at me and refuse to work as a unit and you experience the wrath of what you may perceive as a coward. You seem like one of those that will swear at women.

Edited by Big H*

Abuse me, use me, swear at me and refuse to work as a unit and you experience the wrath of what you may perceive as a coward. You seem like one of those that will swear at women.

Are you being serious? Talk about delusions of grandeur.

BWHAHAHAHAAAAAAAHHAHAAA, must look like these Enduro races where the okes run for their bikes at the start!!!! What a joke!

It is called a Le Mans start, and it is part of racing. And actually a lot of fun.

They should incorporate it into the start! The driver can first go, get the bike up and mount, and as soon as he / she is mounted, the pillar can go. Free MMA Grappling gloves should be included in their entry pack... Que the cameras!

Are you being serious? Talk about delusions of grandeur.

Do you also find it OK to swear at women, tail sit and abuse others? i have seen and experienced many like you on half bikes.

Big H*, I don't understand you? Why would you switch others to let them fall hard as stated in your previous post "Those tail sitters I normally deal with. Switch them and make them fall very hard.", if your profile states "Cycling, preferably Tandems, fixing bicycles, amateur wheelbuilder, camping, nature, photography, fishing, fly-tying, astronomy and a general love for life." but no love for other cyclists? Both swearing and switching is not on man, its just a sport and you must know when to sit and make your opposition tired in order to beat them and when to work as a unit together to jump to the front bunch. If you can't plan your strategy properly you have no reason to complain about tail sitters, its all part of the sport.

Big H*, I don't understand you? Why would you switch others to let them fall hard as stated in your previous post "Those tail sitters I normally deal with. Switch them and make them fall very hard.", if your profile states "Cycling, preferably Tandems, fixing bicycles, amateur wheelbuilder, camping, nature, photography, fishing, fly-tying, astronomy and a general love for life." but no love for other cyclists? Both swearing and switching is not on man, its just a sport and you must know when to sit and make your opposition tired in order to beat them and when to work as a unit together to jump to the front bunch. If you can't plan your strategy properly you have no reason to complain about tail sitters, its all part of the sport.

You do not even have the capacity to try and understand me and I detest your attempt to try and analyze me.

I normally do not have opposition to tire as we are a very sedate tandem crew. When a bunch of Sandton kügels rock up and scream, "ooh a Tandem", swear at you in the most crude language possible when asked to come to the front, even slow down when you slow down and not pass, follow you to the wrong side of the road all still accompanied with foul language you will also get rid of them like vermin.

And it says ...."general love for life" ....... Not "general love for low life"

Edited by Big H*