94.7 - Ridiculous Racing Tandem Circus

janneman72

What is 'switching'?

(Sorry, I ride a MTB)

Its when you brake/wait for the front wheel of the bike behind you to overlap your back wheel then move across their line. The usual result is a crash.

Its pretty much the lowest act possible on a bicycle. Why anyone would do this frazzles my brain. What kind of sadistic ****do you need to be to do switch someone?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done a quite a few races with my wife on our tandem and have to agree. Apart from being shouted at (something about holding onto lines, etc) going up Wynberg Hill by the wannabee's (A to D seeding) and hazbeens (Vets) you have allot going on on the bike as well. Something simple like standing and pedaling, approaching a traffic circle or 4 way stop or even the unpredictable nature of a water point enroute have to be communicated to the stoker by the steerer. Often you ride a gearing ratio that is somewhere between your own comfort zone and that of your partner's, you have to deal with people making sudden and unpredictable movements around you and you have to pull them all along when there is a slight headwind or down-hill.

Before getting vocal about tandem riders, go rent one and do a tandem ride to see what skills are involved here.

Haha really? Hazbeens (Vets)? I love the generalisation broom you carry around.

I don't quite understand your post, but it sounds like you're blaming your bad riding on tandems requiring more skill which you don't have?

Its when you brake/wait for the front wheel of the bike behind you to overlap your back wheel then move across their line. The usual result is a crash.

Its pretty much the lowest act possible on a bicycle. Why anyone would do this frazzles my brain. What kind of sadistic ****do you need to be to do switch someone?

Thanks.

BAD

Assault with the intention of doing grievous bodily harm?

I don't quite understand your post, but it sounds like you're blaming your bad riding on tandems requiring more skill which you don't have?

Ja really funny this hazbeens stuff.

Is Nico Pfitzenmaier not a vet?

I hope your prejudiced brain stays frazzled.

Guest Omega Man

I hope your prejudiced brain stays frazzled.

I can't believe you actually think it's ok to cause a bike crash on purpose. You can't be that much of a prick. Surely! You're just causing *** for fun hey?

Come on admit it. Restore our faith in human decency just a little.

Edited by Omega Man

What is 'switching'?

(Sorry, I ride a MTB)

No need to say sorry - had me stumped inspite of 20 years of cycling , but it is apparently not as cool as a switch back.

We once seeded for the racing Tandems. We started right at the back as we knew we were totally out of our league.

I do detest the absolutely downright rude remarks made here by some. It is uncalled for and unnecessary.

"Tannies" will most talk with a raised voice at cyclists when those who ride half bicycles sit in your slipstream without pulling on the front as well. Swearing has no place in cycling, unlike the "Vets" and ladies groups where swearing cussing and foul language is the norm. Those tail sitters I normally deal with. Switch them and make them fall very hard.

Very very tough guy. How do you manage to switch someone when you are stone last? Typical switch people.

You do not even have the capacity to try and understand me and I detest your attempt to try and analyze me.

I normally do not have opposition to tire as we are a very sedate tandem crew. When a bunch of Sandton kügels rock up and scream, "ooh a Tandem", swear at you in the most crude language possible when asked to come to the front, even slow down when you slow down and not pass, follow you to the wrong side of the road all still accompanied with foul language you will also get rid of them like vermin.

And it says ...."general love for life" ....... Not "general love for low life"

Such an outspoken bad ass gentleman. Really? You want to tell me there is single bikes riding slower that you and Auntie. No way cannot be.

Your general Hub Behaviour is to see how much reaction you can get. Seems when you irritate everyone because you are so slow makes it mission accomplished.

What makes you such a high life amongst the cycling low lifes champ?

Why are you big H? It is the wrong description. Big in my book is very tall and well built like Big Arnie, Pierre Spies and so on.

Guest Omega Man

Why are you big H? It is the wrong description. Big in my book is very tall and well built like Big Arnie, Pierre Spies and so on.

The H stand for Haemorrhoid.

Edited by Omega Man

The title says it all, ridiculous and circus. They have all been here now, the clowns in the vets, the clowns on tandems, dwarfs, hazbeens, tandem tannies........ even the so called "strong men" hiding behind keyboard caling names ....... . Never knew there were hyenas in a circus as well???

Time for the fat lady to sing, any volunteers.

What a circus called the Hub.

Edited by Big H*

The generalization started with the title. Then the tandem bashing came. I tried to illustrate with my own generalizations that it is rather shallow. Perhaps the irony is lost on some, but until you have done a tandem ride with someone with less athletic ability than you, you won't get the post. I don't profess to be a super athlete, but I enjoy it with my wife on the back, even if she does not have sub 3 Argus ambitions.

Big H,

The fact that you call a tandem a full bicycle tells me you are unable to ride a "half bicycle" on your own without falling off, and the desperate need to "switch" people leads me to the following opinion.

The reason you hate the rest of us is you feel inferior towards all of us and this is clearly displayed in your child like aggressive defensive attitude towards others.

Whilst you might think you are clever and big, unless your name is another inferiority statement, you lack EQ. And if you didn't realise you lacked EQ, you probably lack IQ too,

I will continue to ride my MTB bike and once again you have managed to thicken the brush by which most people paint "roadies" with. Which is unfortunate, because generally they very pleasant.

It takes one bad apple (that hasn't fallen far from the tree) to spoil the whole bunch.

I don't know or care who you are, so attack away as it will have little effect on me, however the person you switch, or the person that "switches" you, it will have a profound effect.

Big H,

The fact that you call a tandem a full bicycle tells me you are unable to ride a "half bicycle" on your own without falling off, and the desperate need to "switch" people leads me to the following opinion.

The reason you hate the rest of us is you feel inferior towards all of us and this is clearly displayed in your child like aggressive defensive attitude towards others.

Whilst you might think you are clever and big, unless your name is another inferiority statement, you lack EQ. And if you didn't realise you lacked EQ, you probably lack IQ too,

I will continue to ride my MTB bike and once again you have managed to thicken the brush by which most people paint "roadies" with. Which is unfortunate, because generally they very pleasant.

It takes one bad apple (that hasn't fallen far from the tree) to spoil the whole bunch.

I don't know or care who you are, so attack away as it will have little effect on me, however the person you switch, or the person that "switches" you, it will have a profound effect.

Does a MTB count??? The fact that you go to great lengths to explain shows how insecure you yourself really are.

Edited by Big H*