94.7 - Ridiculous Racing Tandem Circus

janneman72

You do not even have the capacity to try and understand me and I detest your attempt to try and analyze me.

I normally do not have opposition to tire as we are a very sedate tandem crew. When a bunch of Sandton kügels rock up and scream, "ooh a Tandem", swear at you in the most crude language possible when asked to come to the front, even slow down when you slow down and not pass, follow you to the wrong side of the road all still accompanied with foul language you will also get rid of them like vermin.

Geez, I will get rid of them in a fair manner by slowing down that they can't sit in my slip or by out running(cycling) them but not by switching them, ever. People get hurt. You don't think they swear at you because you try to switch them the whole time perhaps??? Just asking :whistling: Edited by janneman72

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez, I will get rid of them in a fair manner by slowing down that they can't sit in my slip or by out running(cycling) them but not by switching them, ever. People get hurt. You don't think they swear at you because you try to switch them the whole time perhaps??? Just asking :whistling:

We were dead tired, at the end of a long race directly into the wind. I am normally behaved.

Abuse me, use me, swear at me and refuse to work as a unit and you experience the wrath of what you may perceive as a coward. You seem like one of those that will swear at women.

Because I call you a coward for wanting to deliberately cause injury to someone (switching)...makes me one to swear at women??!!......you are one sick old goat...............you.....need to get a life.. Your comments about switching people tells us more about your type of character than any justification you try and put forth.

Read the thread. Rattlesnake said: "No I was one of the one's that started near the back and probably whipped you" with a smiley face, and I responded that if they were in the main bunch they might have whipped us with a "thumbs up". Before that I also mentioned that the first 25 odd tandems this year were faster than last years overall tandem winners, which is awesome!!!

The only thing I said about the social tandems was: If the "tannies" wants to jump the line at the start, they must consider social tandems. And I think everyone will agree with that. We rode a sub 2:30 like mentioned before.

Just read the thread the properly next time before getting all psyched up.

I think you are the only one getting "psyched up" here. If it wasn't a problm for you, why did you have to rant about it?

Yeah I must say - the comments are quite derogatory towards women on the back of mixed tandems, my wife being one them. She is hardly a "tannie" and I must say that it's usually the male tandems that behave worse. Its been over a year since my wife built up the courage to race again because of some of the male tandem's antics.

If one were to sling insults around kit / behavior on the bike, start antics etc, I would say that there a good 30,000 odd other appropriate targets for this.

Not really, it's quite funny. I am also a female mixed tandem rider and I find the Le Mans girly start very amusing! Were the husbands/boyfriends too slow to get to the line?

I also laugh at some of the aunties on the back of tandems, chirping other riders. Bet some of them won't be so opinionated if they were on a single bike. But don't exclude the cocky chirps from single riders.

Bottom line, in racing single bikes and tandems should stay away from each other. Single bikes want to slip the tandem on flats and (want to) drop them on the climbs. It's a love/hate relationship that will never work.

You do not even have the capacity to try and understand me and I detest your attempt to try and analyze me.

I normally do not have opposition to tire as we are a very sedate tandem crew. When a bunch of Sandton kügels rock up and scream, "ooh a Tandem", swear at you in the most crude language possible when asked to come to the front, even slow down when you slow down and not pass, follow you to the wrong side of the road all still accompanied with foul language you will also get rid of them like vermin.

And it says ...."general love for life" ....... Not "general love for low life"

Wow - Big H - you clearly have some serious unresolved personal issues that go far beyond cycling. Go get some help before you really do hurt someone.

Switching someone with the stated intention of knocking them off their bikes and hurting them qualifies as criminal assault however justified you may feel in those actions.

I have sat behind many tandems in races and made use of their slipstream and more often than not I am in no position to make any contribution to the pace in front so yes I just sit there. By the same token I have done plenty of races where I have been the 'half-bike' (BTW a very revealing choice of words there) that has done most of the work at the front of the bunch only to have those same guys go past me near the finish. I may have a strong opinion on their lack of etiquette but I could never imagine switching them knowing that their bikes could be irreparably damaged and/or they could be seriously hurt, paralysed or even killed as a result.

My advise is go get some therapy and stay off the 'full bike' in the meantime.

I think you are the only one getting "psyched up" here. If it wasn't a problm for you, why did you have to rant about it?

So from what you are saying, if a mixed tandem finished behind you, they are rubbish and shouldn't be part of the racing tandems?

What was your official time?

Nope, you had the whole thing wrong because you didn't read the thread from the beginning and, where did I say "rubbish", please let me know, in actual fact I said everyone rode awesome and it was hard, just the start was a mess/surprise and that is what this whole topic is actually about, where did you come up with this stuff? Just go back and check the thread properly before replying again, Please.

Not really, it's quite funny. I am also a female mixed tandem rider and I find the Le Mans girly start very amusing! Were the husbands/boyfriends too slow to get to the line?

I also laugh at some of the aunties on the back of tandems, chirping other riders. Bet some of them won't be so opinionated if they were on a single bike. But don't exclude the cocky chirps from single riders.

Bottom line, in racing single bikes and tandems should stay away from each other. Single bikes want to slip the tandem on flats and (want to) drop them on the climbs. It's a love/hate relationship that will never work.

Awesome summary of yesterday, thanks for your input, I can't agree more!!!

Wow - Big H - you clearly have some serious unresolved personal issues that go far beyond cycling. Go get some help before you really do hurt someone.

Switching someone with the stated intention of knocking them off their bikes and hurting them qualifies as criminal assault however justified you may feel in those actions.

I have sat behind many tandems in races and made use of their slipstream and more often than not I am in no position to make any contribution to the pace in front so yes I just sit there. By the same token I have done plenty of races where I have been the 'half-bike' (BTW a very revealing choice of words there) that has done most of the work at the front of the bunch only to have those same guys go past me near the finish. I may have a strong opinion on their lack of etiquette but I could never imagine switching them knowing that their bikes could be irreparably damaged and/or they could be seriously hurt, paralysed or even killed as a result.

My advise is go get some therapy and stay off the 'full bike' in the meantime.

Thanx, but a Tandem is a whole bike

This is the best post on this thread!! so accurate and made my day, thank you.

Guys, please chill on BigH, clearly his wife does not let him ride "half bikes" and is forced to ride with a teamie, so shame, rather pity him than get worked up. (just think how twisted a mind must be to refer to a normal bike as a "half bike" and it starts making sense)

We once seeded for the racing Tandems. We started right at the back as we knew we were totally out of our league.

I do detest the absolutely downright rude remarks made here by some. It is uncalled for and unnecessary.

"Tannies" will most talk with a raised voice at cyclists when those who ride half bicycles sit in your slipstream without pulling on the front as well. Swearing has no place in cycling, unlike the "Vets" and ladies groups where swearing cussing and foul language is the norm. Those tail sitters I normally deal with. Switch them and make them fall very hard.

So someone who sits in your slipstream and doesn't help you deserves grazes, a trashed bike and potential broken bones?

I've always had a low opinion of you but damn you manage to dig your bottom feeder hole deeper every time you open your mouth.

Cycling and the world in general doesn't need your type in it.

Those tail sitters I normally deal with. Switch them and make them fall very hard.

We were dead tired, at the end of a long race directly into the wind. I am normally behaved.

So this is not a hypothetic situation? You actually did this to someone ??