Argus Bike transport with Kulula

W1Z@RD

Hi Guys,

Im booking my flights for the Argus. Im leaving from Lanseria and wanted to know if I buy extra luggage (20kgs) and I can take my bike bag with me, or, do I need to drop it off prior as its over the "Argus period"?

Im not sure as I do have a bike bag and its like an extra piece of luggage so my thinking is I just buy extra weight and check in as per usual.

Any experience would be appreciated.

Tx

Not sure about Kulula but Mango allow you to buy an extra "bike add-on"for about R275 each way.

yeah so does Kulula offer this as a normal service. But im not sure if the rules change over Argus weekend and you have to drop your bike off prior. I tried to ask Kulula but they seemed more confused than me unfortunately.

Edited by W1Z@RD

I would suggest using a bike transportation like Elliott mobility rather. It may cost more, but much less hassle.

With kulula, you need to box/ pack your bike a few days before and take to the airport beforehand. Collect at the airport, reassemble, ride, dismantle, drop off at the airport after the race and collect from the airport a few days later. (Cost is R245 each way)

The bike transportation companies pack your bike in an oversized box which needs no dismantling/ removal of pedals etc.

Drop off your bike beforehand, collect in cape town. No need to reassemble. The guys at Elliot are at the finish line, so after your race they collect your bike, pack in a box and you can collect a few days later. Costs more (Elliott are R1100 return) but you can find cheaper companies. Much better option in my opinion.

Edited by funjunkie

Hi Guys,

Im booking my flights for the Argus. Im leaving from Lanseria and wanted to know if I buy extra luggage (20kgs) and I can take my bike bag with me, or, do I need to drop it off prior as its over the "Argus period"?

Im not sure as I do have a bike bag and its like an extra piece of luggage so my thinking is I just buy extra weight and check in as per usual.

Any experience would be appreciated.

Tx

You are allowed one bag max 20KG.This excludes your carry on

If you have more weight or extra bag pay online for it its cheaper and more convenient

You just pitch with your bike /bag and book it in

You are allowed one bag max 20KG.This excludes your carry on

If you have more weight or extra bag pay online for it its cheaper and more convenient

You just pitch with your bike /bag and book it in

Great! I much prefer to do that. I mean I have a proper bike bag and dont see why it cant be considered extra luggage. And If I book extra 20kg in advance and get to airport early - shouldnt be a probelm

I would suggest using a bike transportation like Elliott mobility rather. It may cost more, but much less hassle.

With kulula, you need to box/ pack your bike a few days before and take to the airport beforehand. Collect at the airport, reassemble, ride, dismantle, drop off at the airport after the race and collect from the airport a few days later. (Cost is R245 each way)

The bike transportation companies pack your bike in an oversized box which needs no dismantling/ removal of pedals etc.

Drop off your bike beforehand, collect in cape town. No need to reassemble. The guys at Elliot are at the finish line, so after your race they collect your bike, pack in a box and you can collect a few days later. Costs more (Elliott are R1100 return) but you can find cheaper companies. Much better option in my opinion.

sounds like good service to me and worth the extra bucks :thumbup:

Great! I much prefer to do that. I mean I have a proper bike bag and dont see why it cant be considered extra luggage. And If I book extra 20kg in advance and get to airport early - shouldnt be a probelm

That's precisely what you do

Go online an open a booking and its self explanatory

My son flew up from CT for the 94.7 and back this morning .He did not book extra weight and he had to pay 250 bucks for 4kgs

He had a bike bag with every thing inside

I had to pay an additional R 250 for my golf clubs last month. I'm sure they will do the same for a bike

That's precisely what you do

Go online an open a booking and its self explanatory

My son flew up from CT for the 94.7 and back this morning .He did not book extra weight and he had to pay 250 bucks for 4kgs

He had a bike bag with every thing inside

Maybe well worth it to check with the airlines (yes he did say he tried to find out). But I don't think the airlines have a wave of bicycle to be transported with the 94.7 as with the Argus. I know the rules can change over the Argus period. I had an issue about 5 or 6 years ago. Flying down was two weaks prior and things worked as per normal. Flying back (on the Sunday of the Argus) I ran into trouble.

Maybe well worth it to check with the airlines (yes he did say he tried to find out). But I don't think the airlines have a wave of bicycle to be transported with the 94.7 as with the Argus. I know the rules can change over the Argus period. I had an issue about 5 or 6 years ago. Flying down was two weaks prior and things worked as per normal. Flying back (on the Sunday of the Argus) I ran into trouble.

I think you are right

Better to pop in to Lanseria and ask them at the desk if not clear online

Rather use one of the courier companies. I used Bike Migration for Argus (R750).

Flew my bike down to W2W with Kulula (R255 one way) and ended with bent RD.

After looking at the options, I think the Elliott route is best. Peace of mind and Cyclelab fourways is next door.... simple.

Thanks for the advice guys

Bike bags / boxes can't replace your normal allowed baggage, as they are over the size (dimension) limit. They are considered "special sporting goods" and you have to pay extra.