Hardtail MTB - Momsen, Silverback, Spesialized

scuzzy

post-20934-0-92817500-1385101465_thumb.jpg

A Toyota 86.

Hardly dude...that is a pedigree racing machine....more like a lambo or veyron. Wish I had one

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

post-20934-0-92817500-1385101465_thumb.jpg

A Toyota 86.

Again, a far better option would be this...

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/cannondale/812014d1371956915-help-me-lefty-up-my-bike-2013-cannondale-trail-sl-29er.jpg

throw on a lefty and you got a winner...

Hardly dude...that is a pedigree racing machine....more like a lambo or veyron. Wish I had one

Yeah that is a good looking bike. If ever I had to go back to a Hardtail that would be my choice.

The Alu flash with best specs will weigh almost exactly the same as the carbon 3. I heard the difference in weight between the two is minimal. better components are the way to go.

Correct, my alu flash was 10kg, with xo crank and crest wheels. Cannondale's alu frames are super light.

I would absolutely love to add a flash or stumpy to my arsenal....they are extremely good looking and people denying this need to go to specsavers...thoroughbred racing machines. Truth of the matter is that I simply can't afford one, so I would rather put them in the ferrari / lambo bracket...hardly a toyota

Lets be honest, Toyota make some awesome cars. The Land Cruiser or 'Land Rover recovery vehicle' springs to mind... But like toyota they have a type of bike for every price bracket, very spec and there are a gazillion of them being ridden and traded in around the place.

By no means is it a bad thing as it proves the brand is doing something right in its accessability and its marketing strategy.

But by No means is a Spez or a Cannondale as a brand a good bike. The spec you can afford and the parts that make it up make it a good bike. They both make rubbish bikes.... Tazz vs 2000GT.....

Where Ferrari hasn't saturated the market and only sells top end spec..... Its just a decision.... Like you and your '1 of a kind in SA' sir!

Lets be honest, Toyota make some awesome cars. The Land Cruiser or 'Land Rover recovery vehicle' springs to mind... But like toyota they have a type of bike for every price bracket, very spec and there are a gazillion of them being ridden and traded in around the place.

By no means is it a bad thing as it proves the brand is doing something right in its accessability and its marketing strategy.

But by No means is a Spez or a Cannondale as a brand a good bike. The spec you can afford and the parts that make it up make it a good bike. They both make rubbish bikes.... Tazz vs 2000GT.....

Where Ferrari hasn't saturated the market and only sells top end spec..... Its just a decision.... Like you and your '1 of a kind in SA' sir!

I see your point BUT

If you look at top end bikes...pure out and out performance mtb machines Spez(stumpy S-works / epic S-works) and Cannondale(flash / scalpel team editions) are the top of the pops, like ferrari and lambo, they are designed to do one thing and that is to go as fast as possible. No expense is spared so the analogy would rather be ferrari also making cars in the lower end bracket whilst retaining some of the higher end properties which to me presents big value. This is also the reason that these brands do so well.

Imagine lambo making a car that looks like gallardo has 80 less horses, not ceramic but less costly brakes, metal panels instead of carbon etc etc... You basically getting 80% of the performance for a fraction of the price, people will be all over it and like you pointed out makes them very desirable.

So there are two sides to this coin....either way, I would love either of those bikes in my garage.

I see your point BUT

If you look at top end bikes...pure out and out performance mtb machines Spez(stumpy S-works / epic S-works) and Cannondale(flash / scalpel team editions) are the top of the pops, like ferrari and lambo, they are designed to do one thing and that is to go as fast as possible. No expense is spared so the analogy would rather be ferrari also making cars in the lower end bracket whilst retaining some of the higher end properties which to me presents big value. This is also the reason that these brands do so well.

Imagine lambo making a car that looks like gallardo has 80 less horses, not ceramic but less costly brakes, metal panels instead of carbon etc etc... You basically getting 80% of the performance for a fraction of the price, people will be all over it and like you pointed out makes them very desirable.

So there are two sides to this coin....either way, I would love either of those bikes in my garage.

haha... 6 of 1...

The problem is they dont make these 'budget' cars so they stay somewhat auspicious.

Toyota competed in Formula 1 so they also built out and out racers. I would love a Land Cruiser Bakkie in my garage (to complete the analogy).

Maybe Spez are like Toyota and Cannondale like Audi....... :ph34r:

If you ave 12400zar to buy a bike, Spez have one for that price. If you have 12900zar they probably have one too... Spez are the peoples bike due to their range, availability and such a wide spread of price and spec... f1 race machine to Tazz. There are a gazillion of them and people of all walks of life ride them.... Much like a Toyota. A great company, awesome R and D and they put back what they get out.

Cannondale on the other hand, much like Audi, make great bikes, fast, good looking machines. But they seem to have attracted the same clientelle as Audi in the last few years. You ride a Cannondale, cool. It doesnt mean you're better than me, can leave your manners behind, not pull over when I have right of way on the trails etc much like Audi drivers have developed a world wide reputation as speeders, traffic lane jumpers and rude humans with a superiority complex.

NOT ALL OWNERS of these brands adhere to this generalization but there's no smoke without fire...... :ph34r:

(Its Friday after all........ Popcorn is almost ready...)

I am in the same boat at the moment - been looking at the Canondale Flash Carbon 3 actually - slight more expensive but hoping to find a LBS that will do a deal. So far not winning :drool:

The Momsen does look nice as well.

@finallygotabike, agree, but is is a bit more expensive for the carbon, not sure you can get a carbon Flash for 30k?

I was in the same boat. Then CWC had that 15-20% discount sale and I was able to get mine for just under R29k. So keep looking, you might get lucky!

Sooner or later everyone wants to ride a Specialized :devil:

Myself included, want to know what the hype is all about :huh:

I would absolutely love to add a flash or stumpy to my arsenal....they are extremely good looking and people denying this need to go to specsavers...thoroughbred racing machines. Truth of the matter is that I simply can't afford one, so I would rather put them in the ferrari / lambo bracket...hardly a toyota

For sure, I saved hard for the flash and traded my Silverback (which I loved!).

haha... 6 of 1...

The problem is they dont make these 'budget' cars so they stay somewhat auspicious.

Toyota competed in Formula 1 so they also built out and out racers. I would love a Land Cruiser Bakkie in my garage (to complete the analogy).

If you ave 12400zar to buy a bike, Spez have one for that price. If you have 12900zar they probably have one too... Spez are the peoples bike due to their range, availability and such a wide spread of price and spec... f1 race machine to Tazz. There are a gazillion of them and people of all walks of life ride them.... Much like a Toyota. A great company, awesome R and D and they put back what they get out.

Cannondale on the other hand, much like Audi, make great bikes, fast, good looking machines. But they seem to have attracted the same clientelle as Audi in the last few years. You ride a Cannondale, cool. It doesnt mean you're better than me, can leave your manners behind, not pull over when I have right of way on the trails etc much like Audi drivers have developed a world wide reputation as speeders, traffic lane jumpers and rude humans with a superiority complex.

NOT ALL OWNERS of these brands adhere to this generalization but there's no smoke without fire...... :ph34r:

Hmmm, I wonder what my reputation will be if I manage to get my grubby paws on this:

http://comunidadciclismo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Intense-Hard-Eddie-3.jpg

haha... 6 of 1...

Haha Yikes! I have a Cannondale and drive a Land Cruiser... won't mind an RS4 though... in blue.