LBS: We have a 5 % handling fee on returns.

lone.*

Which may or may not be their right, and then the didn't. Why the tears? I'd be like "awesome bike shop, they wanted this 5% thingy, but then didn't charge me, I'm deffo's going back there..."

I wouldn't be happy especially as they supplied it incorrectly in the first place.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be happy especially as they supplied it incorrectly in the first place.

Did you miss all this.

Last Friday I bought an press fit bb set not knowing you get them for SRAM and Shimano in different sizes.

This clearly shows me that the OP did not know what he was looking for, the mistake appears to have originated from him.

Stipulated an Shimano XT crank and showed them the sample bearing for the frame. Press fit bearings. The diameter of SRAM and Shimano cranks differ quite a bit. I phoned them on my way home way before I tried to put it in the frame. SRAM bearings must by 5 mm bigger in diameter and will never fit in the frame. All shimano

What part of Shimano is Shimano and Sram is Sram did you neglect to understand ?

Now if you would, could you answer the credit card question ?

Did you take the refund in cash or card reversal.

I'm from Durban. Some of the haggling bit has rubbed off on me unfortunately.

Depending on the situation though, I may be tempted to make an offer if the price is clearly above the average market value. However, like you said, if the price is too high, I'll walk away. I won't go tell the world that that someone tried to rip me off though.

Does everyone not ask for discount/ haggle at the end of the day? Whether it be insurance, buying from suppliers, bank charges, car dealers, bulk orders etc. Everyone wants a better deal/ price. I get asked it daily, sometimes its a yes, sometimes a no.

Now don't get me wrong, some instances call for it, some don't. So correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that business?

ha ha ha...there is still no medicine for stupidity!!

AND humams are prone to make errors!! The real question is...WHO will be paying for that?

Pesky humams!

If you want long term loyal customers you have to give more than you receive .Word of mouth good reputation is earned the hard way ,but pays back big when you really need it the most .This shop owner has no long term vision !

So much agression from a couple of the contributors here.

If the OP gave the shop enough info to supply him the correct BB, does it matter if he doesn't know there is a difference?

If I knew the shop name, I would avoid it just in case the owner isn't in such a giving mood next time.

Name please.

Does everyone not ask for discount/ haggle at the end of the day?

Never at a bike shop.

Price is important, but service and relationships more so. I know that margins are tight at the retail end of cycling but recognise that without the LBS, most of us would be doomed.

I shop on the web for things I cannot find in SA and at one of three owner run bike shops in and around JHB for every thing else. I don't ask for discounts but I am usually given one

Did you miss all this.

This clearly shows me that the OP did not know what he was looking for, the mistake appears to have originated from him.

But he supplied the make of the crank as well as a sample bearing. Don't think he needs more than that.

I assume he was supplied with boxed package. So only discovered later it was wrong.

So much agression from a couple of the contributors here.

If the OP gave the shop enough info to supply him the correct BB, does it matter if he doesn't know there is a difference?

There is no aggression from what I can see, strong opinions ,yes.

But if all actually read his opening thread properly , you can't help but base it on the assumption that the OP neglected to tell the shop in question exactly what he wanted.

That is point number 1.

Point 2 is that he is dodging the credit card/cash back bullet.

Third issue at hand, why crucify the shop when we only have one side of the story, and at this stage from what I have read, it seems that there is more at play here and the full story has not been shared.

So in short, a totally unnecessary rant, something the OP could have dealt with by himself and in private.

But he supplied the make of the crank as well as a sample bearing. Don't think he needs more than that.

I assume he was supplied with boxed package. So only discovered later it was wrong.

So he says.

But it's quite simple, if you can install your own BB then you should very well know that a Sram BB will not work with a Shimano crank.

I actually place the ability to be able to install ones own BB at a higher level of intelligence than knowing that BMW parts won't work on a Mercedes.

There is no aggression from what I can see, strong opinions ,yes.

But if all actually read his opening thread properly , you can't help but base it on the assumption that the OP neglected to tell the shop in question exactly what he wanted.

That is point number 1.

Point 2 is that he is dodging the credit card/cash back bullet.

Third issue at hand, why crucify the shop when we only have one side of the story, and at this stage from what I have read, it seems that there is more at play here and the full story has not been shared.

So in short, a totally unnecessary rant, something the OP could have dealt with by himself and in private.

Agreed :thumbup: In saying that, sometimes people make mistakes, I'm pretty darn sure we all do this from time to time. It then boils down to how it is dealt with upon taking the parts back.

Lets take my issue for example, I bought a pair of shoes, which I thought were the correct size when fitting them at the shop, they were in fact a size wider then what I would normally wear, so they should have been good to go, the shop assistant says they were good to go, so I paid and off I went. Then when out riding, they were cramping my feet badly, even though I was wearing sock that were thinner then what I used in the shops when trying them on.

So I went back, and they exchanged them for me, even though I had worn them twice, and left a small scuff mark on them( getting used to the road bike geometry) I had to pay in to get a new pair, which I thought was fair as they were now going to sell the shoes as 2nd hand, if it wasn't for the scuff mark they would have swopped them outright.

So, at the end of the day, they shop did me a massive favour, and they now have a customer for life, hell I even sent them shed loads of business on the basis of how they handled the situation. I have to drive far just to go to them even though I have three bike shops within a 15km radius of me.

Speaking of, Cyclelab's new promises:

The Cycle Lab Fourways Grand Opening SALE starts tomorrow Friday 29th November! The new megastore is located just down the road from the old store on the corner of William Nicol and Leslie Road (next to The Pro Shop). We are really proud of our new home - the biggest cycling store in the Southern Hemisphere!

We have changed things up a bit and you may be interested in our new brand promises;

We will not be beaten on price

We will sell you the right bike for your needs

Everything we sell comes with a 30 day no fuss money back guarantee

Looks like they are becoming seriously competitive.