LBS: We have a 5 % handling fee on returns.

lone.*

Speaking of, Cyclelab's new promises:

The Cycle Lab Fourways Grand Opening SALE starts tomorrow Friday 29th November! The new megastore is located just down the road from the old store on the corner of William Nicol and Leslie Road (next to The Pro Shop). We are really proud of our new home - the biggest cycling store in the Southern Hemisphere!

We have changed things up a bit and you may be interested in our new brand promises;

We will not be beaten on price

We will sell you the right bike for your needs

Everything we sell comes with a 30 day no fuss money back guarantee

Looks like they are becoming seriously competitive.

No 5% handling fee then.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does everyone not ask for discount/ haggle at the end of the day? Whether it be insurance, buying from suppliers, bank charges, car dealers, bulk orders etc. Everyone wants a better deal/ price. I get asked it daily, sometimes its a yes, sometimes a no.

Now don't get me wrong, some instances call for it, some don't. So correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that business?

As you said I think it depends entirely on the individual and the situation. There is a time and a place for everything. I won't ask for discount at SPAR for example because their prices are competitive with other retails chains and you break even at the end of the day across a trolley full of groceries.

I'll as for bulk discount if it applies to the purchase and I have asked for a reduction in bank charges once I had something to benchmark mine against.

However, if I have to go looking for something specific and I find it at location X and I am happy to pay the advertised price, I won't haggle.

I have sold a few items on thehub and every time I have received my asking price without any haggling which shows me that my estimation of value was spot on. Gumtree on the other hand.....

Just my 2c.

I work in retail and yes the customers are king. But they are not always right. I personally think CPA is used way to much as a scare tactic by customers. From the sounds of things it was the attitude of the owner that would have pissed me off rather than the 5%. You do get that odd customer know it all who will demand "x" when they need "y" and then accept no responsibility and blame the LBS. Or the customer who charges In and demands a new bike because a shifter has broken due to forcing it after the bike being left in the rain and the cables rusting. The matching prices is a har one due to when stock was purchased and in what quantities and then the postage cost as well as chain stores getting discounts. But don't ask me to match a online stores price. And then there's the guy who buys a bike from a different shop and there is now moment between the fork stantions and the crown. So he brings it to us and we send it off for warranty and give the customer one of our loan fork. The supplier do not have stock as this is a trail fork so the part will come on the next shipment in a month. The customer now blows our heads off and states that he wants his fork in 2 days or we must give him a new one off the shop floor. These are the guy's who I hate to say I'd rather not have there business because they buy online and then wont you the LBS to provide the service at no charge.

In finishing I would have to say attitude and service to the customer is what keeps them coming back rather than price to a degree.

Rant over:D

Just my 2c.

But don't ask me to match a online stores price.

Well..I have to agree with you on that..It is South Africa....after all..LOL

To see free postage online here..and retailers matching online prices...(by everybody)would be a dream come true..LOL

I predict in 10 years time,the market here will be doing both,or there wont be a market...

Well..I have to agree with you on that..It is South Africa....after all..LOL

To see free postage online here..and retailers matching online prices...(by everybody)would be a dream come true..LOL

I predict in 10 years time,the market here will be doing both,or there wont be a market...

By then I hope everybody has learnt to do their own maintenance, because it will be really K@K to sent your bike back to the online store to have a headset fixed because all the LBSs have been driven out of business......

because all the LBSs have been driven out of business......

Nah,they'll just have to adapt to conditions like o/s shops..

Life is too easy here...and labour is too cheap...

A well earned visit o/s to see how its done,will open ones eyes,quickly...

From the sounds of things it was the attitude of the owner that would have pissed me off rather than the 5%.

But, but, but...

The owner DIDN'T charge the OP the fee. And refunded or replaced the goods.

But the owner was within his rights in charging the handling fee as the goods supplied was the goods requested by the OP ...my 5cents ... :)

Exactly.

And then after checking the returned goods were in order, he chose to waive the fee. So why the guys hating the owner and the bike shop?

Exactly.

And then after checking the returned goods were in order, he chose to waive the fee. So why the guys hating the owner and the bike shop?

Goods supplied the wrong type. Was supposed to be for Shimano and was given SRAM. the bearings differ in size. I specifically asked for Shimano and gave them a sample to check against. I phoned them within 20 minutes to let them know they have supplied the wrong bearings.

I do not hate anyone. Shop simply will not see me again because they might want to pull another stunt like this.

At the end of the day a crap retail experience.

7 pages and counting...Just to remind the issue...Regardless of whos in the wrong or the outcome..The problem was the LBS tried to get a 5% restocking fee...instead of just smiling and saying"Sure..No Probs Mate,Anything else I can help you with?LOL..and my reply would've been..."Not today thanks,but you owe me R20 for petrol next time ey?"

Edited by exsanguinator

Goods supplied the wrong type. Was supposed to be for Shimano and was given SRAM. the bearings differ in size. I specifically asked for Shimano and gave them a sample to check against. I phoned them within 20 minutes to let them know they have supplied the wrong bearings.

So, you asked for Shimano, they gave you a box marked SRAM?

Or, in other words, you asked for Shimano, they put a box labelled SRAM on the counter and you gladly paid for it?

Can't you read mate?

Edited by Cellar

Regardless of whos in the wrong or the outcome..The problem was the LBS tried to get a 5% restocking fee...

Or, the shop graciously waived their standard terms and conditions after inspecting the opened and handled items?

Talk about who is in the right, nevermind that, the OP is bitching about a handling fee that he wasn't even charged.

(edit: what's a "restocking" fee? The OP clearly never mentioned that term.)

Edited by Cellar

So, you asked for Shimano, they gave you a box marked SRAM?

Can't you read mate?

Unless it's a generic/aftermarket BB in which case the wording might be extremely small

Unless it's a generic/aftermarket BB in which case the wording might be extremely small

Maybe, but the OP seems pretty adamant in the use of Shimano and SRAM. If it was a generic part, maybe he could add that detail to his OP?

Edited by Cellar

7 pages and counting...Just to remind the issue...Regardless of whos in the wrong or the outcome..The problem was the LBS tried to get a 5% restocking fee...instead of just smiling and saying"Sure..No Probs Mate,Anything else I can help you with?LOL..and my reply would've been..."Not today thanks,but you owe me R20 for petrol next time ey?"

Wild assumption as he totally neglects to tell us whether he paid by c/card and took the refund in cash.