[Event] MTN NATIONAL MTB SERIES #1 Dullstroom

Tim_Fair

To be honest no I am not satisfied but can we change it?

No we can't but by making our feelings known we can hope something positive will come out it.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A question to the cyclists that voiced their unhappiness.

Are you happy that Fritz's statement addressed the issues adequately?

From my perspective, his statement raised more questions than answers...

Why claim you were expecting between 1000 - 1500 cyclists when you knew that there were over 1900 pre-entrants?

Why utilise a new timing company for a national race without first having a trial run?

If the WP's did not have access to running water due to the nature of the route, why place them there?

If you knew there was no running water at the WP's why not arrange for water tankers?

and the list could go on...

And one of a general nature..

Does Advendurance "own" the national series or does CSA issue a tender to run the national series?

Of course I'm not happy with his statement, as I mentioned above it's the same ol' statement copied and pasted from the past and I agree with you that's it's just not good enough.

As others have stated above that if we not happy then we simply shouldn't attend these events, I disagree with this, this is a NATIONAL series and the standards should be very high regarding all aspects and I really want to attend as many of these races as I possibly can. By not attending and not voicing concerns, other suckers will simply 'fill the gap' left by those choosing not to attend and they will then experience the same problems and also go away unhappy and so the cycle will continue.

A question to the cyclists that voiced their unhappiness.

Are you happy that Fritz's statement addressed the issues adequately?

From my perspective, his statement raised more questions than answers...

Why claim you were expecting between 1000 - 1500 cyclists when you knew that there were over 1900 pre-entrants?

Why utilise a new timing company for a national race without first having a trial run?

If the WP's did not have access to running water due to the nature of the route, why place them there?

If you knew there was no running water at the WP's why not arrange for water tankers?

and the list could go on...

And one of a general nature..

Does Advendurance "own" the national series or does CSA issue a tender to run the national series?

I will attempt to answer your questions Thug, but really don't want anyone to feel shafted, so I will happily give any of you a full refund if you feel that was the case, so email me on fritz@advendurance.com if you want a refund.

The entries came in slowly in Jan and we made a forecast based on previous experience, but had a sudden influx of entries close to the closing date, which made it difficult to make arrangements. We increased our medal order in the last week and was able to make an additional 500 and we packed extra stickers, numbers etc, but was not able to order more socks etc in the short time frame.

We calculate the water allocations based on the amount of riders, but got that seriously wrong, for which I apologised. The water would have however been sufficient if the water points had better control (not allowing riders to wash bikes, glasses and faces) and if the refilled earlier. This is still our responsibility, so I am not blame shifting, but promising to do it better going forward.

We used livetime on smaller events and massive events like the Warrior race series (8000 participants) without issues, so I was confident that they would cope, but it was not the case. I am still convinced that you will really be impressed by them in the future.

I still think that merging all the distances onto the same singletrack at the end is a bad idea

I still think that merging all the distances onto the same singletrack at the end is a bad idea

We did not merge all the distances and actually had separate routes for the 10, 20 and rest. You are correct though that it is a bad idea to merge so many riders in muddy conditions.

This will not happen at all next year, as we will split it over 2 days.

I will attempt to answer your questions Thug, but really don't want anyone to feel shafted, so I will happily give any of you a full refund if you feel that was the case, so email me on fritz@advendurance.com if you want a refund.

The entries came in slowly in Jan and we made a forecast based on previous experience, but had a sudden influx of entries close to the closing date, which made it difficult to make arrangements. We increased our medal order in the last week and was able to make an additional 500 and we packed extra stickers, numbers etc, but was not able to order more socks etc in the short time frame.

We calculate the water allocations based on the amount of riders, but got that seriously wrong, for which I apologised. The water would have however been sufficient if the water points had better control (not allowing riders to wash bikes, glasses and faces) and if the refilled earlier. This is still our responsibility, so I am not blame shifting, but promising to do it better going forward.

We used livetime on smaller events and massive events like the Warrior race series (8000 participants) without issues, so I was confident that they would cope, but it was not the case. I am still convinced that you will really be impressed by them in the future.

Fritz, I don't want a refund.

The route was great despite the mud.

I was just venting my frustrations given your massive experience in the previously organising these events.

I am impressed that you've come back on to address further issues and for that I thank you and as far as I'm concerned, the matter is now closed.

Edited by Thug

This will not happen at all next year, as we will split it over 2 days.

Best idea!

It comes close to doubling your costs but certainly makes the riders much happier. I also think you get a lot of repeat business from Marathon/Ultra riders who want a shorter "recovery" ride on Sunday.

Best idea!

It comes close to doubling your costs but certainly makes the riders much happier. I also think you get a lot of repeat business from Marathon/Ultra riders who want a shorter "recovery" ride on Sunday.

Exactly my plan at Sabie