Fat Bike

Wayne Potgieter

How did Mannie do on his fat bike?

During Stage 3 of Epic I was suffering along a district road climb with a bunch of about 9 other riders. Stage 3 stands out not for being the longest stage but for the howling wind which made the going so tough. Next thing a buzzing, humming noise takes over from the constant howl of the wind...... yes, Mannie on his fatty was hauling past us at a rate of knots. He had time for a brief chat, answering questions about his machine, then off up the hill never to be seen by our little bunch again. So to answer your question, he was a machine on that bike. He obviously had a mechanical so was out of position, but hell he can ride that thing.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During Stage 3 of Epic I was suffering along a district road climb with a bunch of about 9 other riders. Stage 3 stands out not for being the longest stage but for the howling wind which made the going so tough. Next thing a buzzing, humming noise takes over from the constant howl of the wind...... yes, Mannie on his fatty was hauling past us at a rate of knots. He had time for a brief chat, answering questions about his machine, then off up the hill never to be seen by our little bunch again. So to answer your question, he was a machine on that bike. He obviously had a mechanical so was out of position, but hell he can ride that thing.

That's Awesome

While we have you here, any more news on those Gotcha Fatbikes? Specs, sizes? Thanks

Hi, the sample is with the buyer. He actually ended up buying it for himself. I have not seen it yet but his feedback as follows:

- attracts a lot of attention from all sorts of people

- bike is very heavy (has not weighed it)

- 6 speed drivetrain is basic but works well

- riding position is comfortable

- as far as he is aware there are 3 different sizes

- ride is harsh (tyre pressure at 2 bar, I suggested he lower it to 1 bar or lower, then comment on ride)

- got to be strong to ride it up hills due to weight

- he would only buy it as a fun cruiser, not to ride it on the MTB trails

The above is the buyers opinion of the bike

Spez SA just got in about 10 fat bikes.I hope you local Spez dealer had one on order.

I heard last night and just ordered one. They only have the higher spec Expert. Expecting delivery on Wednesday next week. Very exciting!!

Hi all

Do you think you could ride one of these on SOFT beach sand for 20+ km's.

I am thinking of the stretch of beach between Hermanus and De Kelders (Walker Bay), which I have walked but would love to ride.

Do you think you could ride it for 40km's - there and back - taking into account that the tide would turn against you and the sand would be moerse soft...

Borealis Fat bike:

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Borealis-Echo-suspension-fork-fat-bike-RockShox-Bluto-7-600x399.jpg

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Borealis-Echo-suspension-fork-fat-bike-RockShox-Bluto-2-600x384.jpg

Hi all

I am thinking of the stretch of beach between Hermanus and De Kelders (Walker Bay), which I have walked but would love to ride.

Do you think you could ride it for 40km's - there and back - taking into account that the tide would turn against you and the sand would be moerse soft...

Sand and snow is what they're designed for

Hi all

Was also thinking this would be a fun bike for Grotto beach... No. I won't be able to do 20km on this bike on the sand yet. Would take it gradually further and further though.

Hi all

A mate of mine brought in a couple of bikes here in Cape Town and has sold a few to fishermen.They put a rack on the back and can carry thier rods etc, and can basically ride anywhere on the beach to fish.They take the bikes on holiday to Sodwana with them and spend days riding,fishing and camping on the beach.Sounds cool.

Finally got chance to collect them.

post-18409-1397479960,908.jpgpost-18409-1397479980,4993.jpgpost-18409-1397480007,7489.jpg

And impressions of top one?

Does it only come in one size?

And impressions of top one?

Does it only come in one size?

Seems pretty cool.

Only rode it a short bit, but i giggled like a mad thing.

It can do with some upgrades, but at around R6k, there is budget available to play with.

You welcome to pop round to play with them if you want.

Archived