Tokai permit

nicds

...I consider the R45 per outing expensive, the offering has declined and the price increases have no correlation to inflation, don't reflect an increased service or from what I can see, they don't bear any relation to an increase in costs.

About a year or more ago the management of the area changed and we hoped for a new approach from Sanparks, but all I see is the same. My interaction with the staff has generally been poor - they come across as predominantly enforcers - there is no customer service mindset or welcoming attitude - cyclists are just tolerated, its an 'us versus them' mentality...

What?! You've not had bad experiences with staff in grocery stores, cinemas, hardware stores, petrol stations, traffic departments, .. anywhere really where the staff are not paid as ambassadors to the business, lest not forgetting and especially, where the mega wealthy interact with the super poor?

I am not going to point out where you are wrong, but agree that the day entry is too steep.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

........................... My interaction with the staff has generally been poor - they come across as predominantly enforcers - there is no customer service mindset or welcoming attitude - cyclists are just tolerated, its an 'us versus them' mentality...................

Personally I have found Sandra Hollerman, the new Tokai manager, very friendly and helpful. She and the staff in her office helped me with no fuss to sort out a problem I had with my access card. The guys at the gate always greet me with a smile and often make a bit of conversation, but perhaps it is just because I engage with them from my side also. I know that the staff have on occasion gone out of their way, even used SANParks vehicles, after hours, to help seriously injured riders on the mountain. They don't have to do that, they don't get paid for it.

I've truly never had anyone give me attitude at Tokai.

Oh I forget, one ranger in Silvermine forced me to buy a day entry because I left my card at home, but that was his job. And he wasn't rude about it, just insisted that I buy the ticket or turn around and go home.

At the risk of looking like I have shares in Tokai I have to say I have not had a bad experience with any of the staff I have dealt with. The office staff were helpful when I got my permit and the guys on the gate have always been pleasant.

Regarding the cost of the day pass - is it maybe high to try and push people towards the annual activity card? Maybe admin wise they prefer that?

At the risk of looking like I have shares in Tokai I have to say I have not had a bad experience with any of the staff I have dealt with. The office staff were helpful when I got my permit and the guys on the gate have always been pleasant.

Regarding the cost of the day pass - is it maybe high to try and push people towards the annual activity card? Maybe admin wise they prefer that?

In the 6 or so years that I have been going to Tokai I have not had a single bad experience with any of the staff there. I got to know a few of the guys at the gate and always chat to them.

The day entry is a bit steep. I'd be a lot happier with it if some of that money was going to trail maintenance and building, but I know that's not how it works :(

Edited by JohnnyReggae

a bargain for people who stay close yes...for us in the Northern Subs Id rather stick to Tygerberg MTB club then as travel cost there adds about R80 at a time towards Tokai.