Santa Cruz limited Edition Minnaar V10 replica.....

Stretch

In all fairness those 4 strokes have come a long way since they were first introduced. I rode a mates CRF450R around Springfield a while ago. Racetech suspension, Pro circuit engine bits, Titanium Pro Circuit pipe and a few other bits and bobs. At my level I rode the whole track in 3rd. I rode aimed it along the service road that runs alongside the track..... Tried to keep it wide open. Up the road, turn around, down the road and handed it back. Talk about peeling your foreskin back Said thanks but never again!

Would still choose a 250 2 smoke though... ;)

problem with the 250 2 stroke is your arms get f-ing tired f-ing qickly. Hanging on for dear life takes it out of you. I have had a 125 2-stroke, a 250 2-stroke, a 450 4- stroke and a 250 4-stroke. The easiest to ride and most fun of all of them was dfinitely my kxf 250. Loved that bike

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Faaaaaaaaaark! I thought riding a 500 2 stroke was living on the edge.... That things powerband coming on must be like throwing the switch on an electric chair!

A buddy once stored his 400cc two-stroke Yamaha racing quad bike at our place...

After the police come over and told me to quiet down (small town) I didnt listen... The R8000 in repairs and the sling from a dislocated shoulder however opened my ears!

the scariest bike I ever rode was my boets old yz 495. Yoh that thing was evil

I had a YZ425 back the day when there was still mine dumps to play on - that thing could wheelie in 4th

The new generation 2-strokes have tamed the nutty powerbands of older generation engines. The KTM 300XC-w for example is a fairly manageable beast with plenty of low down grunt (obviously also sprocket dependent) and fairly consistent power through the rev range, but you don't have to ring the things neck to get it to give you power.

4-strokes have definitely come along way and if rumours are to be believed the 2-stroke will be phased/regulated out in Europe & The States (which will effectively kill the market I think) due to the engine still burning oil. That said if I'll still be on a 2-stroke for enduro for a while as the engines are just so robust, plus if the engine does go pop you're not looking at a R20k - R30k rebuild, like a 4-stroke.

Guest Omega Man

The new generation 2-strokes have tamed the nutty powerbands of older generation engines. The KTM 300XC-w for example is a fairly manageable beast with plenty of low down grunt (obviously also sprocket dependent) and fairly consistent power through the rev range, but you don't have to ring the things neck to get it to give you power.

4-strokes have definitely come along way and if rumours are to be believed the 2-stroke will be phased/regulated out in Europe & The States (which will effectively kill the market I think) due to the engine still burning oil. That said if I'll still be on a 2-stroke for enduro for a while as the engines are just so robust, plus if the engine does go pop you're not looking at a R20k - R30k rebuild, like a 4-stroke.

Love the KTM 300XC-w. It makes all the right noises and smells without wanting to dismember you. If I was going to buy another dirtbike that would be right at the top of my list. Plus it's got a happy button

Love the KTM 300XC-w. It makes all the right noises and smells without wanting to dismember you. If I was going to buy another dirtbike that would be right at the top of my list. Plus it's got a happy button

You mean the thing that WASN'T found on many an early XT / XL / XR 500 / 550 / 600!? That meant you had a good chance of removing your calf if you got the compression stage & throttle position wrong on the kick?

They are awesome machines, I'm currently on my 2nd one, although it has been horribly neglected recently. The KTM happy buttons are flippen brilliant in tech terrain, but they are quite unreliable and do require some love to keep them 'happy'. The best aftermarket addition is however a Rekluse semi-auto clutch. I have one on my older bike and it really is like cheating when you get into the more technical terrain. My mechanic was telling me that for Roof this year a lot of the guys he wrenches for have now ditched the clutch lever all together and run brakes, much like a bicycle set up, which just gives the rider a bit more control. I may consider this as I've always struggled a bit with the foot brake.

Okay, I am not derailing this thread any further.

Sorry Stretch

Guest Omega Man

ditched the clutch lever all together and run brakes, much like a bicycle set up,

Whaaaaaaaattt?

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Travis.

Are we onto motorbikes now?

Didn't Gee, with a mtb, beat that other oke, with a motorbike, in that one video?

Are we onto motorbikes now?

Didn't Gee, with a mtb, beat that other oke, with a motorbike, in that one video?

Yes

They are awesome machines, I'm currently on my 2nd one, although it has been horribly neglected recently. The KTM happy buttons are flippen brilliant in tech terrain, but they are quite unreliable and do require some love to keep them 'happy'. The best aftermarket addition is however a Rekluse semi-auto clutch. I have one on my older bike and it really is like cheating when you get into the more technical terrain. My mechanic was telling me that for Roof this year a lot of the guys he wrenches for have now ditched the clutch lever all together and run brakes, much like a bicycle set up, which just gives the rider a bit more control. I may consider this as I've always struggled a bit with the foot brake.

Okay, I am not derailing this thread any further.

Sorry Stretch

Those things are absolutely amazing! but it is like cheating. But the good kind of cheating