Derailleur length

Newboy

I am riding a 38/26 crank and 11/36 cassette on my dual suspension bike. What length rear derailleur should I use? SRAM.

According to United Bicycle Institute:

• Determine Maximum Chainring Difference by subracting the number of teeth in the smallest chainring from the number of teeth in the largest chainring

• Determine Maximum Cassette Cog Difference by subtracting the number of teeth on the smallest cassette cog from the number of teeth on the largest cassette cog

• Determine Total Drivetrain Capacity by adding Maximum Chainring Difference to theMaximum Cassette Cog Difference

• Record the Maximum Cassette Cog (the number of teeth on the largest Cassette Cog)

For Shimano:

SS - Short Cage Road Double - Maximum Cassette Cog is 27 and Total Capacity is 29

GS - Medium Cage MTB/Road Triple - Maximum Cassette Cog is 34(MTB)/27(Road) and Total Capacity is 33(MTB)/37(Road)

SGS - Long MTB - Maximum Cassette Cog is 34 and Total Capacity is 45

For SRAM:

Short - Maximum Cassette Cog is 34(MTB)/28(Road) and Total Capacity is 32(MTB)/31(Road)

Medium - Maximum Cassette Cog is 34 and Total Capacity is 37

Long - Maximum Cassette Cog is 34 and Total Capacity is 45

For Campagnolo:

Short - Maximum Cassette Cog is 26 and Total Capacity is 27

Medium - Maximum Cassette Cog is 29 and Total Capacity is 36

Long - Maximum Cassette Cog is 29 and Total Capacity is 39

NOTE - THIS INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE BY MANUFACTURER

From SRAM themselves on their rear deraileurs...

• 3 cage lengths available: short for DH, medium for
    2X10 and long for 3X10

So you should prob use a medium, but long will work as well.

The long will work too though as the guys above have said.

I am running a 1x10 setup with a 32 front(normal chainring-truvativ) and 11-36 cassette-Sram.

I do have a E-thirteen chain guide though to stop any chain drops and after 200km had 1 chain drop.

Guest Omega Man

I am riding a 38/26 crank and 11/36 cassette on my dual suspension bike. What length rear derailleur should I use? SRAM.

I was running that exact gearing with a medium X7. If that's any help.

Edited by Omega Man

medium should be fine but do yourself a favour and get the Type 2 from the onset - better chain retention and less noise. aslo easier to remove and fit back wheel.

Thanks for all the advice. I will be getting a Type 2. I assume there is not much difference between X9 and X0 except for a huge price difference?

Thanks for all the advice. I will be getting a Type 2. I assume there is not much difference between X9 and X0 except for a huge price difference?

Correct, and that the X0 is serviceable (can take it apart and service the pivots, replace the pins and so on)

Correct, and that the X0 is serviceable (can take it apart and service the pivots, replace the pins and so on)

A big plus for me.. The serviceability.

I had a X9 (9spd) that seized up completely during a previous Sabie Experience. Luckily the last day. The fine grit that enters the joints can only be removed if you take it apart.

And not expecting a mud bath during the Pioneer trek of 2012, another X9 (10 spd)got really sticky.

You can open up a X9 with a Dremel tool by grinding off the riveted part of the pin. But then you have to figure out a way to put it back together.

These were 'Type 1' models. I have not taken a 'type 2' apart.

The X9 and X0's feel/shift the same when they are new. The X0 shifting just 'feels' new for longer IMO.