Modderfontein reserve trails

Question

See there's a 10km, 25 and 35km route, which is coloured which.

Whats modders looking like atm.

How much is the entry now, has the cafeteria/restaurant opened again, sorted out their problems?

G

Just got this on Bookface, as I follow their page. Fantastic news....now we can stop ranting and start raving.

Central Park Trails Modderfontein

UPDATE :

Hi all,

We would just like to update you on a couple of things that will be implemented at the park in the New Year.

Firstly, we have just appointed a NEW trail management company to take over the trail maintenance at the park and are excited to welcome them to the CPT family. They will be opening 10km's of new single track by the end of January not to mention upgrades to the existing trails to ensure continued enjoyment when riding at Central Park Trails Modderfontein

The new trail management company come armed with TRACKER, a leading vehicle safety and recovery services provider, recognising the need for safer cycling facilities, will launch their safe cycling initiative - Ride Free - at the park in January 2014.

Tracker Ride Free spokesperson, Charnelle Munitich says, “This initiative is one we are very excited about. There is a big need to offer cyclists a safe alternative to being on our roads and Ride Free is Tracker’s answer to the public’s call for safer cycling. Until we make our roads safer, bike park’s such as Modderfontein will provide enthusiasts of all levels the freedom to ride in safe, contained environment. “

Tracker ‘s investment in what is now known as the Ride Free Bike Park at the Modderfontein Nature Reserve stems from the company’s commitment to making MTB riding safer.

Dubbed Ride Free in reference to returning the sport of cycling to the freedom it used to represent. As part of the Ride Free campaign, a host of fantastic upgrades and initiatives will be introduced at the park in January such as :

* New directional signage on all four trails

* Trail maps

* Monthly skills clinics

* Bike wash every weekend

* On site mechanic every weekend

* Dedicated first aid kits out on the route

* Paramedic every weekend

* A chill zone to enjoy before or after your ride

As you can see from the above, we are working hard to provide you with not only the safest bike park in Joburg but also the best facilities and value for money.

Thanks for your continued support and we look forward to seeing you out on the trails soon

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there yesterday. Restaurant was open but I didn't take a look. Trails good - still a bit of mud in some areas from heavy rains in December.

Orange, Green, Yellow and Red trails (in order of increasing distance), with options to change routes and distance to suit your need.

Cost R40 for single entry. Multi-entry cards are R400 for 14 rides. Two of those are indicated as night rides, but the staff at the boom told me they can now be used for day rides too. So that means about R28 a ride.Well worth it.

thanks

10km Orange,

17km Green,

25km Yellow and

35km Red trails

as per their site, if still accurate: http://www.mtbroutes.co.za/central-park-mtb-trails-modderfontein-closest-citytown-sandton.html

G

I was there yesterday. Restaurant was open but I didn't take a look. Trails good - still a bit of mud in some areas from heavy rains in December.

Orange, Green, Yellow and Red trails (in order of increasing distance), with options to change routes and distance to suit your need.

Cost R40 for single entry. Multi-entry cards are R400 for 14 rides. Two of those are indicated as night rides, but the staff at the boom told me they can now be used for day rides too. So that means about R28 a ride.Well worth it.

Yes, that sounds right. I don't stick to one route - did a bit of green, yellow and red yesterday! I do the 10km Orange trail with my kids - great route for them.

Hi

Modderfontein, really nice, nice changes since I was there last (pre entrance change).

Rode the Yellow with Wife and friend.

Yellow does need some attention on the marking side. Couple of places where there was multiple directions to turn with no arrow.

Biggest "missing marker" problem occurred at the top of the grassy nole, just before you started riding next to the fence, on your way back to the wooden gate.

G

Hi Everyone

I have come to this site to answer some of the below negative comments.

Firstly I apologise for the lack of maintenance on the red route and generally.

Let me explain how we work:

The nature reserve and the mountainbike trails are managed separately. I manage the nature reserve and the mountainbike trails are managed by Central Park Trails. They are essentially a tenant of the nature reserve.

I agree with all of you that the maintenance is not up to scratch and I have brought this to their attention. I am in fact meeting with them tomorrow to fix this.

Please give us approximately a month and I hope the problem is sorted out.

On the vegetation side I can answer you as it is all part of my greater vegetation management plan to eradicate alien vegetation and replace this with indigenous vegetation.

The picture posted above was of a thicket of black wattle. Black wattle is one of the most invasive alien species we have in South Africa. We are obligated by law and by sound conservation management to remove this and any other alien vegetation on the reserve. You will notice if you look at that site again that we have planted a whole lot of indigenous trees in its place. Unfortunately these will take some time to establish. Please also remember that this is essentially a grassland environment and was never an area with lots of big trees.

Please also rest assured that a percentage of your entry fee goes to maintaining the nature reserve as a whole and not just the mountanbike trails.

I hope this clears up any bad feelings.

If anyone wants more information please contact me on info@modderfonteinreserve.co.za

cheers

Luke

If anyone wants more information please contact me on info@modderfonteinreserve.co.za

cheers

Luke

Luke - thanks for the post.

Gotta commend you on the nature reserve side - I see loads of work when I ride there. Tree planting, boma building, bee? hives, erosion reduction, new signs etc.

Please light some fire under the trail staff for us. Most of us love riding at Modders but the lack of maintenance is dropping the numbers (and money in your pocket). Help us to help you :-)

Just loaded by CPT on the CPT Facebook page:

(me just reposting)

Central Park Trails Modderfontein UPDATE :

The time has arrived and we are all extremely excited to welcome TRACKER on board. Tracker's RIDE FREE campaign kicked off last year whilst plans have been in place to implement this campaign at the park for a number of months now. Read all about the campaign here :

What does this mean for the park? See a list of benefits and improvements below :

http://www.tracker.co.za/RideFree/Cycling.aspx

1. BRAND NEW, improved signage which will be installed in the next two weeks. All signs will be replaced with a uniquely designed board which will have "distance to go", "route maps" and "feature signs" throughout the park to enhance your riding experience

2. A complimentary bike wash setup

3. A new "Race Village" where there will be a Ride Free chill zone tent with bean bags scattered around to give those legs a well deserved rest after your ride whilst waiting for your bike to be washed.

4. A mechanic will be on site every weekend to assist with last minute niggles which we all have had at one time or another

5. A water hydration fountain will be available in the "chill Zone" for before and or after your ride for your convenience.

6. We are in negotiations with one of the TOP bike manufacturers who will hopefully be joining us every weekend and demo bikes will be available not to mention sale items again, in case of emergencies.

7. A basic clinic or assisted ride will be hosted every last Sunday of the month of all to enjoy.

8. Additional single track - we have just cut another 10km's of singe track for your enjoyment and most importantly we will be interceding that "black routes" so you can choose to do one or two to mix things up.

9. We have implemented the card system which take less than one minute of your time to have the friendly guys at the start of your race tear off. This is so that everyone has our emergency contact details on them at all times as well as it ensures payment has been done. This money is used to upkeep and enhance the trails so please do not try and "fly by" as we will be strict on this going forward.

10. FUN, FUN, FUN and more FUN to be enjoyed at Modderfontein for the whole family as we will be re-opening the kiddies track. Mom's or Dad's or both will be able to sit and keep an eye on the little one's whilst enjoying the beautiful view of the dam and "racing snake" eye candy as they start their ride.

In a nutshell, we are working round the clock to continually raise the bar and ensure your enjoyment when visiting and riding our trails.

For any queries - centralparktrails@gmail.com

Thank you and safe riding!

CPT

G

Hi Everyone

I have come to this site to answer some of the below negative comments.

Firstly I apologise for the lack of maintenance on the red route and generally.

Let me explain how we work:

The nature reserve and the mountainbike trails are managed separately. I manage the nature reserve and the mountainbike trails are managed by Central Park Trails. They are essentially a tenant of the nature reserve.

I agree with all of you that the maintenance is not up to scratch and I have brought this to their attention. I am in fact meeting with them tomorrow to fix this.

Please give us approximately a month and I hope the problem is sorted out.

On the vegetation side I can answer you as it is all part of my greater vegetation management plan to eradicate alien vegetation and replace this with indigenous vegetation.

The picture posted above was of a thicket of black wattle. Black wattle is one of the most invasive alien species we have in South Africa. We are obligated by law and by sound conservation management to remove this and any other alien vegetation on the reserve. You will notice if you look at that site again that we have planted a whole lot of indigenous trees in its place. Unfortunately these will take some time to establish. Please also remember that this is essentially a grassland environment and was never an area with lots of big trees.

Please also rest assured that a percentage of your entry fee goes to maintaining the nature reserve as a whole and not just the mountanbike trails.

I hope this clears up any bad feelings.

cheers

Luke

Thanks for the feed back .

so let me understand this , they are your tenents for the mtb trails and you look after the reserve stuff .

sorry to be an ass but you guys are doing a great job with the reserve ( as mentioned ) and the mtb trail guys not so much so why not boot them out as your tenents and you look after the trails aswell ???

as said i may have the jist of the story wrong but makes sense to me .

keep up the good work .

Just loaded by CPT on the CPT Facebook page:

(me just reposting)

Central Park Trails Modderfontein UPDATE :

The time has arrived and we are all extremely excited to welcome TRACKER on board. Tracker's RIDE FREE campaign kicked off last year whilst plans have been in place to implement this campaign at the park for a number of months now. Read all about the campaign here :

What does this mean for the park? See a list of benefits and improvements below :

http://www.tracker.c...ee/Cycling.aspx

1. BRAND NEW, improved signage which will be installed in the next two weeks. All signs will be replaced with a uniquely designed board which will have "distance to go", "route maps" and "feature signs" throughout the park to enhance your riding experience

2. A complimentary bike wash setup

3. A new "Race Village" where there will be a Ride Free chill zone tent with bean bags scattered around to give those legs a well deserved rest after your ride whilst waiting for your bike to be washed.

4. A mechanic will be on site every weekend to assist with last minute niggles which we all have had at one time or another

5. A water hydration fountain will be available in the "chill Zone" for before and or after your ride for your convenience.

6. We are in negotiations with one of the TOP bike manufacturers who will hopefully be joining us every weekend and demo bikes will be available not to mention sale items again, in case of emergencies.

7. A basic clinic or assisted ride will be hosted every last Sunday of the month of all to enjoy.

8. Additional single track - we have just cut another 10km's of singe track for your enjoyment and most importantly we will be interceding that "black routes" so you can choose to do one or two to mix things up.

9. We have implemented the card system which take less than one minute of your time to have the friendly guys at the start of your race tear off. This is so that everyone has our emergency contact details on them at all times as well as it ensures payment has been done. This money is used to upkeep and enhance the trails so please do not try and "fly by" as we will be strict on this going forward.

10. FUN, FUN, FUN and more FUN to be enjoyed at Modderfontein for the whole family as we will be re-opening the kiddies track. Mom's or Dad's or both will be able to sit and keep an eye on the little one's whilst enjoying the beautiful view of the dam and "racing snake" eye candy as they start their ride.

In a nutshell, we are working round the clock to continually raise the bar and ensure your enjoyment when visiting and riding our trails.

For any queries - centralparktrails@gmail.com

Thank you and safe riding!

CPT

G

Proves the statement, more than 2 riders its a race.

• 1 month later...

Question

See there's a 10km, 25 and 35km route, which is coloured which.

Whats modders looking like atm.

How much is the entry now, has the cafeteria/restaurant opened again, sorted out their problems?

G

I was there yesterday and had a great ride.

However there are still some trails totally unmaintained (e.g. in the beginning when you drop right to the water), and many poles had fallen down so signage was not great.

The reeds on the koppie are also starting to grow over the trail again making me slightly bang for snakes again!

However....I did notice some distinct improvement with obstacles and saftey, especially in the forest where one obstacle was made humansitic i.e. it is now achievable!

Their Facebook page says that new signage is going up this week. I saw a few fallen sign poles this morning and met some lost riders. A couple of big mud pits could do with some repair too.

Their Facebook page says that new signage is going up this week. I saw a few fallen sign poles this morning and met some lost riders. A couple of big mud pits could do with some repair too.

Totally agree - did a spectacular faceplant just over a rocky section as the mud behind it was axil deep!!

I rode there this morning. In many places the weeds are higher than handlebar height. This is dangerous, especially when doing interval training. I have seen a drop of the route standard over the last few months and will not be back in a hurry.

When the trails are up to spec please post that it is now ready for riding. I do enjoy the fact that it is close to home. In the meantime I will ride at Groenkloof, Thaba and Northern Farms.

I rode there this morning. In many places the weeds are higher than handlebar height. This is dangerous, especially when doing interval training. I have seen a drop of the route standard over the last few months and will not be back in a hurry.

When the trails are up to spec please post that it is now ready for riding. I do enjoy the fact that it is close to home. In the meantime I will ride at Groenkloof, Thaba and Northern Farms.

I agree. Sadly what could be a place where even overseas people come to cycle, just is not being maintained to the right degree. I always have a good cycle there in terms of distance and intensity, but yesterday's challenge were the unmaintained paths, the reeds where snakes have been seen (especially on a coolish day when poikilotherms come out), the fallen signage poles, and some areas where the mud is so deep that it is almost impassable.

Had a nice ride there on Saturday. Chatted to one of the managers who confirmed new route signs going up today (Monday) weather permitting. .. at least its a start...