Modderfontein reserve trails

Modders is also our home base trail, but alas !! the guys are just not keeping it up to standard. If you compare to the trails at Northern Farms.

They have not added any new sections and every summer there is an issue with the grass not being cut. riding the Reed trail is dangerous, those reed leaves will cut like a blade if they catch you at the right angle. the Barren sections cannot be helped and is the result of a massive bush fire a few months back.

the single track section through the black wattle plantation near the start finish gate that was cut a few months back is now a plantation of 20 - 30mm 6" stumps sticking up like a pin cushion, and flippen dangerous if you fall. this section of the trail should be closed. The tree huggers decided to cut them because they not indigenous. WTF !!!!

There are plenty of snakes at Modders especially in the reeds, as they hunt frogs in that area. If they don't keep the trails clean and cut riders will encounter more and more.

Only a matter of time before they have a serious incident at Modders.

Yeah agree only a matter of time before someone really gets hurt there.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some help please guys. Two trails have been mentioned in this blog that I am not aware of - Red Barn and Thaba. How do I find these?

I did the USN Cup 50 there. It was the most frustrating race I ever did. Not going back there any time soon. The venue is very nice, but the trails are frustrating - going zig-zag and ending up nowhere is a waste of time

This is also my home base never encountered Snakes but we ride very early. The section with the cut off trees are dangerous. I want to do the Wednesday night races

This was the same story last year. Overgrown and not maintianed. Then when they do cut the grass, it just gets left on the trail, and then gets caught up in your derailleur, and you have stop all the time to clear it out.

Rietvlei and Thaba way better!

Thaba all the way. Wendell keeps those trails in very good condition all year round at a mere R30. The whole family can have really good fun there.

Tried Red barn and modders and still keep going back to Thaba or Rietvlei.

Thaba all the way. Wendell keeps those trails in very good condition all year round at a mere R30. The whole family can have really good fun there.

I can't see what all the fuss is all about... some real stupid stock standard south african mentality going on in this thread.

The Modderfontein trails are great, they are central and easy to get to for a quick ride.

Who cares if the trails loop around and zig-zag up/down a hill. I think it makes for good training as you have a great profile with ups, downs, flats... enough to keep the pace good, enough to push and train to get quicker and better.

It's also getting very popular and on many days i've been there it's been packed and parked up, which is a good sign.

The people working there are very friendly, and the security is good.

The trails are not that badly maintained, especially if you consider it's the rainy and holiday season at the moment. I can easily understand if staff/management are on leave.

Can't believe some people are complaining about frikken snakes... gawd, that's why it's called mountain biking.

Yes, where they cut the trees it's dangerous, but if you don't feel comfortable riding it then walk it or skip it.

I love Thaba, I love Rietvlei, I love Modderfontein, and all the other places there are to ride around in Gauteng... we are spoilt for choice.. be happy about it.

Stop complaining and ride your bikes ffs. :ph34r:

Edited by TheV

This was the same story last year. Overgrown and not maintianed. Then when they do cut the grass, it just gets left on the trail, and then gets caught up in your derailleur, and you have stop all the time to clear it out.

Rietvlei and Thaba way better!

LOL @ grass in your rear-derailleur... it sounds messy bru... maybe you should move over to track cycling... or try out a spinning class, to avoid the dirty, messy, irritating grass

Are you the guy in the white outfit that when he approaches the mud patch turns around and heads towards the car park......for crying out loud.....it's $&:/$) mountain biking.

Got caught in the rain there last night....soaked and really dirty......it's was GREAT!!!

Yep....get the popcorn.....lol!

LOL @ grass in your rear-derailleur... it sounds messy bru... maybe you should move over to track cycling... or try out a spinning class, to avoid the dirty, messy, irritating grass

You obviously don't have a clue what I am talking about! Maybe you should be hitting the trails more and experience it for yourself.

I can't see what all the fuss is all about... some real stupid stock standard south african mentality going on in this thread.

The Modderfontein trails are great, they are central and easy to get to for a quick ride.

Who cares if the trails loop around and zig-zag up/down a hill. I think it makes for good training as you have a great profile with ups, downs, flats... enough to keep the pace good, enough to push and train to get quicker and better.

Think they were talking about Big Red Barn on this one.

It's also getting very popular and on many days i've been there it's been packed and parked up, which is a good sign.

The people working there are very friendly, and the security is good.

The trails are not that badly maintained, especially if you consider it's the rainy and holiday season at the moment. I can easily understand if staff/management are on leave.

Can't believe some people are complaining about frikken snakes... gawd, that's why it's called mountain biking.

Yes, where they cut the trees it's dangerous, but if you don't feel comfortable riding it then walk it or skip it.

I love Thaba, I love Rietvlei, I love Modderfontein, and all the other places there are to ride around in Gauteng... we are spoilt for choice.. be happy about it.

Stop complaining and ride your bikes ffs. :ph34r:

Just got this on Bookface, as I follow their page. Fantastic news....now we can stop ranting and start raving.

Central Park Trails Modderfontein

UPDATE :

Hi all,

We would just like to update you on a couple of things that will be implemented at the park in the New Year.

Firstly, we have just appointed a NEW trail management company to take over the trail maintenance at the park and are excited to welcome them to the CPT family. They will be opening 10km's of new single track by the end of January not to mention upgrades to the existing trails to ensure continued enjoyment when riding at Central Park Trails Modderfontein

The new trail management company come armed with TRACKER, a leading vehicle safety and recovery services provider, recognising the need for safer cycling facilities, will launch their safe cycling initiative - Ride Free - at the park in January 2014.

Tracker Ride Free spokesperson, Charnelle Munitich says, “This initiative is one we are very excited about. There is a big need to offer cyclists a safe alternative to being on our roads and Ride Free is Tracker’s answer to the public’s call for safer cycling. Until we make our roads safer, bike park’s such as Modderfontein will provide enthusiasts of all levels the freedom to ride in safe, contained environment. “

Tracker ‘s investment in what is now known as the Ride Free Bike Park at the Modderfontein Nature Reserve stems from the company’s commitment to making MTB riding safer.

Dubbed Ride Free in reference to returning the sport of cycling to the freedom it used to represent. As part of the Ride Free campaign, a host of fantastic upgrades and initiatives will be introduced at the park in January such as :

* New directional signage on all four trails

* Trail maps

* Monthly skills clinics

* Bike wash every weekend

* On site mechanic every weekend

* Dedicated first aid kits out on the route

* Paramedic every weekend

* A chill zone to enjoy before or after your ride

As you can see from the above, we are working hard to provide you with not only the safest bike park in Joburg but also the best facilities and value for money.

Thanks for your continued support and we look forward to seeing you out on the trails soon