Modderfontein reserve trails

Yeah! That's why this topic heading was called rant n' rave! We started off ranting, and in some ways rightly so! Then madmarc gave us news to rave about! If we hadn't ranted, we wouldn't have been able to rave! :clap:

I look forward to cycling with the mud and snakes and...next year! :thumbup:

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the dude who saw the thick long black snake. By the top little reed dam. I also hike a lot and have never seen a snake this big or fast. If I could have seen the mtb trail then yeah avoid the snake and carry on. But couldn't even see it, and this snake was slithering all over the trail and I am sure there were lots more like him, so I left the trail. Don't like snakes.

Went to modder this morning and was spoilt with mud which was awesome!. Just a bit disappointed with all the litter. At the risk of being grilled for this, I just don't understand why some muppets have to bring their homely behavior outside. Litter your own home and keep your wrappers, sachets and water bottles (valpre, nestle) bottles till the end and BIN IT!

I am glad I didn't see this post before I rode the red route yesterday. But now not sure I will again soon with knowledge of snakes potentially along the track you can't see.

The maintenance crews were out in full force cutting the grass yesterday, making some of the single track enviable of golfers. But there were still red route sections with grass up to your handle bars, which was fun if you didn't know about snakes lurking beneath.

The only thing is I followed the signage painstakingly, and ended with 30km - what happened to the other 20km!?? The signage could be a little clearer, especially when crossing your path multiple times. And why no route maps, route board etc?

I was out at Modders on Sunday and have mixed feelings...

Loads of chaps out clearing up paths, filling in the trench across the single track - which ruined the fun jumps he he he etc etc......but....man oh man Modders is wet - the ground is saturated and any rain turns the paths into slush. The first bridge we got to was about 60cm under a strong flowing river and at least 10 times the path was so wet it was full on slushfest.

Modder crew can't do anything about the weather of course (apart from some seriously time consuming and expensive trail design) but I'm gonna give the place a week or two to dry up (and for the trail maingtenance to end) before I head out there again.

I am glad I didn't see this post before I rode the red route yesterday. But now not sure I will again soon with knowledge of snakes potentially along the track you can't see.

The maintenance crews were out in full force cutting the grass yesterday, making some of the single track enviable of golfers. But there were still red route sections with grass up to your handle bars, which was fun if you didn't know about snakes lurking beneath.

The only thing is I followed the signage painstakingly, and ended with 30km - what happened to the other 20km!?? The signage could be a little clearer, especially when crossing your path multiple times. And why no route maps, route board etc?

Good to hear they have started clearing the paths. Guess there is lots to do. Those trails where you can't see the path are a little daunting, but knowing there are snakes beneath makes one go faster and get even fitter! :)

I've only got it to 38 odd km's with the red route. Perhaps I am missing some bits...I am not sure.

I was out at Modders on Sunday and have mixed feelings...

Loads of chaps out clearing up paths, filling in the trench across the single track - which ruined the fun jumps he he he etc etc......but....man oh man Modders is wet - the ground is saturated and any rain turns the paths into slush. The first bridge we got to was about 60cm under a strong flowing river and at least 10 times the path was so wet it was full on slushfest.

Modder crew can't do anything about the weather of course (apart from some seriously time consuming and expensive trail design) but I'm gonna give the place a week or two to dry up (and for the trail maingtenance to end) before I head out there again.

Ja a day or two of sunshine makes the terrain much better in terms of mud. Came short in the mud the other day - was fun though! :)

On a similar note - I barely missed a rinkhals whilst out running!

I was doing an easy brick session on Saturday morning running through the hood with nary a care in the world when I see something start wriggling a metre or two ahead...I look down and lo and behold it's a tiny rinkhals - about 30cm long and hooding. Apart from the white markings on it's throat it was nearly invisible against the tar. If it hadn't moved I reckon I would have stepped on it...

No time to change driection so I pull a world class panic induced hurdle and miss the little guy.

I reckon the massive amount of rain we've had has done wonders for the frog - and rinkhals population. If they're on the road in Benoni they're pretty much anywhere I reckon...

I did the USN Cup 50 there. It was the most frustrating race I ever did. Not going back there any time soon. The venue is very nice, but the trails are frustrating - going zig-zag and ending up nowhere is a waste of time

Hate that artificial distance builder's windy windy stuff..

I'm the dude who saw the thick long black snake. By the top little reed dam. I also hike a lot and have never seen a snake this big or fast. If I could have seen the mtb trail then yeah avoid the snake and carry on. But couldn't even see it, and this snake was slithering all over the trail and I am sure there were lots more like him, so I left the trail. Don't like snakes.

Are you sure it was a snake, because there are lots and lots of huge lizards at modders which are pretty harmless.

This is also our resident trail is it's the central place to meet all of the fellow bikers, I know that the R40 might seem abit steep, but since I have been going there I have constantly seen improvements, maybe not much on the trails but on the venue itself..

Newly installed speed bumps (Irritating but will stop those that speed in the park)

Upgraded bathrooms

New restaurant (Still to try the food thou)

I got a free cooler bag with a thank you for your support note

Newly built bird watching huts

A upgraded entry system with cards, etc.

So I'm glad to see my entrance fee money is going somewhere useful and I'm excited about all the things planned for 2014 especially on the trails, because it was one area where it could be improved.

I'll be sticking with this as my local trail!

On a similar note - I barely missed a rinkhals whilst out running!

I was doing an easy brick session on Saturday morning running through the hood with nary a care in the world when I see something start wriggling a metre or two ahead...I look down and lo and behold it's a tiny rinkhals - about 30cm long and hooding. Apart from the white markings on it's throat it was nearly invisible against the tar. If it hadn't moved I reckon I would have stepped on it...

No time to change driection so I pull a world class panic induced hurdle and miss the little guy.

I reckon the massive amount of rain we've had has done wonders for the frog - and rinkhals population. If they're on the road in Benoni they're pretty much anywhere I reckon...

Cool....I have yet to see a rinkhals here.Plenty M'Fezi though

In reply to the guys with mixed feelings and bemoaners of the trails.

I have ridden modders lots of times besides the cash entry fee i've paid i'm already working my way through my 5th multi entry card.

Snakes!!! yes there are snakes, especially in the reed section, it's where they hunt frogs. You will also potentially find them on the trials where you see lots of small holes, these are rodent holes which is another favourate hunting area. Howvere if the trails are kept open it's very rare that you will encounter a snake and if you do it will be crossing over into the bush. A snake will feel the vibrations through the ground of approaching riders and flee into cover. In all my rides i've only encountered snakes twice and on 1 of those occasions they were both dead. Sankes are the least of your worries in the reserve.

As far as the zig zag track goes. Modders is only so big, so to get distance you will need to zig zag the trail. NF has the same thing in some areas. If you not getting at least 35 - 40km ride in then you missing certain parts. ride there more often and do some exploring or ride with some guys who know the trails. also remember a lot of the Zig Zag trial is the XC trail used for lap races.

When it rains, there is lots of mud and water run off as it's all drain down to the dams, but at least its not clay like Rietvlei. But the reserve drains very quickly and the damp trails makes for some cool riding. the water and mud pools left behind are part of the fun. sometimes the river floods and the green grate bridges are under water, if you too scared to cross then go a bit down river and cross over with the jeep track. I'm fortunate to know exactly where the bridge is so its fun to bomb over it when its submerged.

Go ride there on a Wed night you will encounter lots of nocturnal wildlife which is so cool living in JHB.

Our club tries to ride every Wednesday night as well as 1 weekend ride. If you keen to join us and get to know the trails let me know

Wow!!!! it sounds like i own the place :w00t:

Cool....I have yet to see a rinkhals here.Plenty M'Fezi though

I'm not a snake expert but Rinkhals is very similar to M'fezi (Mozambique spitting cobra). both are spitting cobras. I don't think you get m"fezi's up here on the reef. Mayb a snake fundi on the hub can help out here.

This is also our resident trail is it's the central place to meet all of the fellow bikers, I know that the R40 might seem abit steep, but since I have been going there I have constantly seen improvements, maybe not much on the trails but on the venue itself..

Newly installed speed bumps (Irritating but will stop those that speed in the park)

Upgraded bathrooms

New restaurant (Still to try the food thou)

I got a free cooler bag with a thank you for your support note

Newly built bird watching huts

A upgraded entry system with cards, etc.

So I'm glad to see my entrance fee money is going somewhere useful and I'm excited about all the things planned for 2014 especially on the trails, because it was one area where it could be improved.

I'll be sticking with this as my local trail!

I see on Central Park Trails bookface page, the restaurant closed, didn't last long, so it's back to 33 High street with their high prices. Or use Dynamite cafe, they serve a cool breakfast very reasonable prices