Modderfontein reserve trails

I see on Central Park Trails bookface page, the restaurant closed, didn't last long, so it's back to 33 High street with their high prices. Or use Dynamite cafe, they serve a cool breakfast very reasonable prices

What? I had coffee'n'muffins there yesterday - didn't look like they were clsing up shop...

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a snake expert but Rinkhals is very similar to M'fezi (Mozambique spitting cobra). both are spitting cobras. I don't think you get m"fezi's up here on the reef. Mayb a snake fundi on the hub can help out here.

They are quite different...the salmon pink under the throat is a good id

Stayed on a farm in Olifantsfontein and we had quite a few

I see on Central Park Trails bookface page, the restaurant closed, didn't last long, so it's back to 33 High street with their high prices. Or use Dynamite cafe, they serve a cool breakfast very reasonable prices

Really? Gosh that didn't last long at all.. Sad news actually because it was one thing that they were missing

Really? Gosh that didn't last long at all.. Sad news actually because it was one thing that they were missing

At the risk of sounding all negative like - the restaurant at the start was never great. Nice uniforms, decor etc but in the 3 times I ate there I didn't have a good experience.

Silly things like bringing the coffee but forgetting the milk, asking for the bill and waiting 20 minutes, first breakfast there took 30 minutes and they had run out of bacon and mushrooms.

Like I said - little things but zero out of 3 aint great.

33 High Street sets the bar HIGH and the new restaurant didn't come close.

Not a great experience, would stop people from returning..

Wonder if they will convert to a basic shop, selling coffee & cooldrinks at least

At the risk of sounding all negative like - the restaurant at the start was never great. Nice uniforms, decor etc but in the 3 times I ate there I didn't have a good experience.

Silly things like bringing the coffee but forgetting the milk, asking for the bill and waiting 20 minutes, first breakfast there took 30 minutes and they had run out of bacon and mushrooms.

Like I said - little things but zero out of 3 aint great.

33 High Street sets the bar HIGH and the new restaurant didn't come close.

They are trying to be to fancy. The same happed to us

The previous guy with his caravan selling coffee and bacon egg rolls dd a better job they should get him back. Try Dynamite Cafe, weve always had great service there.

for those who don't know it.

When you leave modders go round the circle and under the Gautrain bridge take the 1st right after the bridge and follow the road down to the dam. the road turns up left round the bottom of the dam and its the little house on the left right next to the dam.

The previous guy with his caravan selling coffee and bacon egg rolls dd a better job they should get him back. Try Dynamite Cafe, weve always had great service there.

for those who don't know it.

When you leave modders go round the circle and under the Gautrain bridge take the 1st right after the bridge and follow the road down to the dam. the road turns up left round the bottom of the dam and its the little house on the left right next to the dam.

Dynamite Cafe is nice but 33 High Street is the gold standard.

Craft beer, coffee roastery, awesome pizza, the worlds best prego rolls - winners all round :-)

And no - I'm not involved in the business but I'm probably responsible for 20% of their income!

At R30 entry to the Nature reserve, even if you are not riding, the restaurant never stood a chance..

Hey I don't think they've closed down, they're just closed for the holidays. Spoke with the manager on Wednesday and they were having their staff year end party.

Agree that some of the staff need some serious training and experience, but hopefully with time they will get better, had a tray of hot coffee spilled over our table, they all look exceptionally nervous carrying trays.

Rode on Sunday, have never seen it quite that muddy, a couple padding me dropped into a puddle that turned out to be a good 40cm deep. A kids bike got stuck as well had to try help him get his bike out.

Was there on the 25th and the entire picnic area & parking by the restaurant was closed off, Security told us no mountain bikers were allowed in the area, We got hold of the lady that runs the place and it seems that the restaurant is closed until the beginning of Jan and the picnic area is considered private property (Not part of Central Park Trails) We expressed how she is going to be loosing lots of business. I'm hoping that this is just over this holiday period and as soon as they are open again things will go back to normal

Sign on cafe said closed 23/12 - 8/1.

Was there on Tues; very rough and muddy but not snakey.

Yellow and green all passable - snorkel will help.

I supply that restaurant, and am very close with the chef and sonja who runs it. They are certainly not closing down! Really well experienced bunch who run it, and as it's only just been finished, they do still have a few kinks tk work out. Bare in mind, their priority and first target is actually events and functions, then he restaurant. It's a great little place with really good food, and is also CLEAN! I am responsible for the hygiene in their kitchen and it's top notch, which cannot be said for many places in Johannesburg.

Going to Modders almost makes me want to take up MTB! I love the road tho and can't afford both... Alas! But really nice place, have management who actually care, and also who realise and like cyclists! That's not easy to come by...

And lastly, what the hell are you guys on about? Grass and mud and fauna! Isn't that the whole point of mountain biking? Or am I missing something completely?

Was there yesterday late afternoon (last people to leave.....again) . Enough water and mud around that I stopped wondering about snakes and started looking out for hippos..........Afd elite....you have not missed anything , mountain bikinking is about the exact things you mentioned.....grass, mud sand,dust and the odd animal even if it is a crawly.