Transbaviaans 2014

Garfield2010

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my first Transkaroo and loved that Race. I did a 10:30.Hoping for a Better time for transbaviaans.

Ill definitely Be back for Transkaroo

Trans Karoo is faster than Trans Baviaans.

So what is a good strategy to follow for the Trans Baviaans for a first timer? I see the first 100km is basically 'downhill' and then the climbing starts....so I guess just get a nice easy pace going for first 100km and get the km's behind you and in the same time keep energy for the second part of the race? From 190km I presume it is the mental toughness that kicks in...?

Any advice would be helpful!

So what is a good strategy to follow for the Trans Baviaans for a first timer? I see the first 100km is basically 'downhill' and then the climbing starts....so I guess just get a nice easy pace going for first 100km and get the km's behind you and in the same time keep energy for the second part of the race? From 190km I presume it is the mental toughness that kicks in...?

Also my first TB this year. I'm used to endurance road rides though, and there the motto is "start slow, and eat early and often". So that'll hopefully be our plan, although being the weakest of the 4 riders on our team, I may just end up hanging on!

Edited by walkerr

Yip, you have it about right, but do not let the first 100 fool you in being downhill. There are a couple of rollers and some shortish climbs (500m to 2 km in length) that can hurt you if you go too hard.

I generally try to breakdown races into 'thirds' and Baviaans is no different. The 1st 100km will be your 1st third and take it a bit slower than you think you need to go. There will be teams hammering it but you will probably pass them later if you ride conservatively. You can also ride a bit of a 'paceline' on this stretch.

The Baviaans only start after the 2nd checkpoint and your slowest part of the race will be between 100km & Bergplaas as you face Baviaansback, The Fangs and MAC. Ride well within yourself here and try to ride up MAC as far as you can as you can lose loads of time once you start walking. But, do not push too hard, leave something in the tank of the Neverender climb and the last 80km. If you feel good here, go for it!!!

You will probably end the race with more kilos around the waist than when you started, you are spoilt at the checkpoints.

Most of all, ENJOY!!!

I always wonder how many celebs take part in this. Anyone spot any on the entry list?

I quickly browsed but +-1400 names is a lot to "browse" :blink:

I saw "Francois Pienaar" on the list...

HAHA, sure.

Awesome

Just so i know its you, please confirm that its you in the 37th row 42nd from the left.

http://www.rwc2007.irb.com/mm/Photo/Tournament/0/pienaar-600_1101_SQ_MEDIUM.jpg

thanks but it show nearly 3000m climbing and 220km instead of 230km ..............NOU WORRY EK EERS !!! :eek:

Just think of it as extra value - less distance maybe, but more views for your money ;)

Edit: the track is a direct conversion from their GPX file. I'm guessing measured distances could vary on the day

Edited by walkerr

Awesome

Just so i know its you, please confirm that its you in the 37th row 42nd from the left.

http://www.rwc2007.irb.com/mm/Photo/Tournament/0/pienaar-600_1101_SQ_MEDIUM.jpg

I would love to confirm, but unfortunately I wasn't there the day. HAHAHAHAH

Just think of it as extra value - less distance maybe, but more views for your money ;)

Edit: the track is a direct conversion from their GPX file. I'm guessing measured distances could vary on the day

now please help me can i load that file on my garmin egde 800??

now please help me can i load that file on my garmin egde 800??

You should be able to upload the GPX file direct to your Garmin. I'm assuming MapMyRide let's you download it as a GPX file, I've never tried that part. PM though if you can't, I'll send you the one I converted and uploaded.

I'll be using an eTrex on the day - also a Garmin, but more of a hiking unit. The principle and files are the same though, so you should be able to get it working