Nutritional Supplementation - What are we really paying for?

Anyone looked at what the equivalent food will cost? Ie how much does your recovery drink cost... and how much does it cost to get the same from food.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haters will be hating, a brown cow OWNS a chocolate milkshake any day of the week as a recovery drink.

Also want to see you finding a steri stumpy in the middle of the transkei/any other rural area, whereas every single spaza shop stocks coke and "longlife" as it's called.

Anyone looked at what the equivalent food will cost? Ie how much does your recovery drink cost... and how much does it cost to get the same from food.

If you dont want to take food with while cycling then just take a SMALL bottle of ENSURE. Be warned as it fills u up like a meal would. I have the choc one and it works great. I still cycle with a botlle of water of course

Not a recognised supplement, but IMO more than sufficient as a meal replacement, prerace booster or recovery supplement (if a proper meal is not an option):

Main reasons:

#1: Low GI (maintain blood sugar levels)

#2: Moducare component

#3: Just add water........porridge or shake option, that easy.

#4: Value for money.

post-41755-0-84723800-1389290733_thumb.jpg

Edited by BarHugger

6 - 12% - but it's pretty hard to get food to match exactly what is in the supplements (not always a bad thing) - you have to consider:

1 - Kilojoule counts

2 - Protein, carbohydrate, fat mixes and relative percentages

3 - Specific amino acid availability

4 - Specific carbohydrate availability.

5 - Specific electrolyte availability

6 - etc etc - WITHOUT going out of kilter on any one - and the one that usually goes out is the kilojoule count.

If you know where to get the substrates, and are convinced of their purity and lack of contamination, it's easy enough to make your own up (and has been done before - look up singletrack fuel on the hub - amongst many others.)

There is a big market out there for shortcuts to improved performance - but there are really none except training better and harder - and having good genetics.

What I have found helps is rehydrate.. for 3 days leading up to the 94.7 last year i drank 3 a day, to get my self properly hydrated beforehand..

I ended up drinking only one bottle the entire race (started in VB and didn't really have time to drink to be honest) and felt fine afterwards, better than i have ever felt after a race - if one is properly hydrated before an event, it makes a HUGE difference..

What I have found helps is rehydrate.. for 3 days leading up to the 94.7 last year i drank 3 a day, to get my self properly hydrated beforehand..

I ended up drinking only one bottle the entire race (started in VB and didn't really have time to drink to be honest) and felt fine afterwards, better than i have ever felt after a race - if one is properly hydrated before an event, it makes a HUGE difference..

Yea also smash a hydrol before and after a big day....works well. Although hydrol isn't flavoured, I prefer it to rehidrate

• 2 weeks later...

Game has more sodium (315mg vs. 172mg) (per 100g) as 32GI Endure.

Game has less potassium (65mg vs. 148mg) (per 100g) as 32GI Endure.

The energy and carbs is the same in both.

I dont know which is better based on this.

Simple game is sucrose R5 a kg 32Gi Endure is isomaltulose R28 a kg, completely superior and stability carbohydrate .cannot compare the two.

Ahhh ok

To honest, apparently you need to follow a low gi diet, for 32GI to work.....which is not going to happen. Its just too much admin for me.

I might just stick to game from now on also since I am getting the same results. Will still have a recovery shake every now and again after a big ride.

Not true ;-) thats a myth low GI dieting or LCHF dieting has far more benefit outside of a fuelling strategy

Yo so much and so little.

Take the last Attekwas:

1. Moderate training.

2. Way overweight

3. I am fat and sleg,

4. Rode on coke and water 50/50 in one bottle and water in the other.

5. Finished drank beer, waited for mates, got in the car and drove home. no worries.

when I was fit it and racing it was different. so horses for courses. recovery drinks work if you are going balls to the wall and need to refuel right after finishing and before having a good meal.

But it is not the silver bullet.

ride more, eat less, drink less BEER, and the relook at the issue.

Simple game is sucrose R5 a kg 32Gi Endure is isomaltulose R28 a kg, completely superior and stability carbohydrate .cannot compare the two.

Why is it superior? Because it costs more? because the one is sugar and the other some fancy schmancy word?? I am not trying to flame you here but I cannot say I have had the same experience...game is cheap and chips, readily available at your corner cafe and comes in very handy packaging that allows you to mix 1L worth of drink. An the kicker is that I cannot tell the difference between it and the fancypants mixes. I can however tell the differences when I have been off the bike for a while or been lazy with my training which leads me to believe that the size / state of the engine is much more important than the petrol you put in.

Not true ;-) thats a myth low GI dieting or LCHF dieting has far more benefit outside of a fuelling strategy

Well that is what I was told when I used 32GI and bonked like a little girl. I asked about it and it was suggested that I should follow a low GI diet for 32GI to be effective as an energy source. Couldn't be bothered since its too much admin to follow such a diet and made 32GI drinks for a landscape engineer from then on until the tub ran out....he liked it though

Why is it superior?

Long chain carbohydrates are better because the total carbohydrate (glucose) delivered to the body is higher per unit of time - this is a factor of how glucose impacts gastric emptying rather negatively compared to long chain carbohydrates.

You can google the work of Andy Bosch and TD Noakes et al on the subject of gastric emptying and carbohydrate absorption - ( you might even come across some of my work too :) ) - alternately it is in the latest version of Lore of running for sure - explained in more laymans terms.

Long chain carbohydrates are better because the total carbohydrate (glucose) delivered to the body is higher per unit of time - this is a factor of how glucose impacts gastric emptying rather negatively compared to long chain carbohydrates.

You can google the work of Andy Bosch and TD Noakes et al on the subject of gastric emptying and carbohydrate absorption - ( you might even come across some of my work too :) ) - alternately it is in the latest version of Lore of running for sure - explained in more laymans terms.

Ok ta thanks Doc...but then why don't I feel the difference between the superior(name brand, isomaltulose) and el cheapo(game, sucrose). Surely I should be able to feel the difference...energy wise.

Ok ta thanks Doc...but then why don't I feel the difference between the superior(name brand, isomaltulose) and el cheapo(game, sucrose). Surely I should be able to feel the difference...energy wise.

Think of Hammer Perpetuam...

Think of Hammer Perpetuam...

Same story....I have used

Hammer perpetuam, Powerbar IsoActive, Biogen Carbogen, PVM Octane, 32GI

All of them with the same result as game....and exactly why this is so confusing to me. When I am fit, it doesn't matter, when I have been lazy for a while again it doesn't matter