Cape Epic 2014

Pieterg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't write him off so fast. He might not have the speed of the others on a short XCO type course, but he has lots of experience in racing all out over long distances, day after day. I reckon they will claw back at least 30 secs tomorrow.

"Christoph Sauser, also a four-times winner, finished in 9th place with new partner František Raboň in a time of 1:02.22,7. Raboň dropped his chain early on in the race and along with Sauser’s crash, it disrupted the team’s rhythm. It was a tough introduction to the Absa Cape Epic for Raboň."

What is that thing under Sausers waterbottle ??

...and I like the GOPRO facing backwards LOL

Edited by Btus

What is that thing under Sausers waterbottle ??

...and I like the GOPRO facing backwards LOL

Probably spares container ?

It's is advantage Platt/Huber and Mennen/Hynek, 1 minute is an eternity going into the first stage. With rain forecast today, expect Rabon to battle in the technical stuff today, I also wonder when Sauser will lose his cool with his new roadie partner?

Awesome to see Theresa Ralph back in the mix, that auntie can ride a bike! Her injury to her ACL, came not from MTB, but from MotorCross. A woman with a day job, children, rides MTB and motorbikes, the perfect woman?

Edited by Mackie

Awesome pics, Hop you got plans to take more.

Interesting never seen this paved little section on TV.

G

A few shots I took today

2014 Stage 1

Monday, March 24, 2014

Distance

108km

Climbing

2450m

Start Location

Robertson - Arabella Wines

Finish Location

Robertson - Arabella Wines

http://www.cape-epic.com/cms/data/route/85.20140218042151.img.jpg

Each year, Stage 1 of the Absa Cape Epic is referred to as one of the hardest of the race, and it’s no different in 2014. The stage is as tough as it is beautiful with the most spectacular views rewarded after the most demanding climbs.

The day is characterised by a fast start to water point 1, where the real challenge begins. Three major climbs, all on rough surfaces, take riders through pristine fynbos deep into the foothills of the Langeberg Mountains. Tortoise Hill stands out with its double peak and precariously steep descent, followed by some relentless ridgeline riding and the sharp zigzag climb starting off through cooling pine trees before once again heading for the skies. Be warned, it’s the harsh surface and exposure to the African sun and heat that will make this day challenging - as well as the fact that most of the climbing is packed into the 45km section in the middle of the stage. Riders will be able to make up some time on the final 25km as the terrain eases back into flowing farm and gravel roads.

http://www.cape-epic.com/img/route/xstage1.png

< View Route

Edited by Tumbleweed

Dammit, lets try this again...

Shhhhh, only watching H/L tonight

Would be interesting to see what made it into the H/L after watching the Live feed yesterday, and what GoPro bits got added.

Got to say glad the choppers kept their distance better this year, still noticed last year how much dust they kicked into the riders faces trying to get close for good footage.

G

Just saw it on the highlights package :thumbup:

Awesome to see Theresa Ralph back in the mix, that auntie can ride a bike! Her injury to her ACL, came not from MTB, but from MotorCross. A woman with a day job, children, rides MTB and motorbikes, the perfect woman?

Also a spin instructor to add.

Rest of the pics are here:

https://www.facebook...72745156&type=1

Awesome photos!

Stoked for Hermida to get the win. Was hoping Flippie and Nino could pull it off though.

I'm worried about Rabon. Perhaps he was just having a bad day or these short sprints doesn't suit him or something, but he was battling.

Kev and Max looking good too. It's going to be a good one!