Cape Epic 2014

Pieterg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid for 2 and was lucky enough to find a great sponsor for 2013 and 2014.

Wont they sponsor me too? Pretty pretty please?....

Epic is baie baie nice, duur, maar lekke! Moenie dat ander mense jou vertel dis overpriced ens ens nie, jy sal self sien as jy daar is wavoor jy betaal! Enjoy, ek is M#¥RSE jaloers op almal wat ry!

I don't want to start a debate about FS or HT ,I'm going with my 2 year old Merida Big Nine 29er Stock Standard, will we make it.Anybody that did the Epic on a HT.I just can't buy a FS now,must turn every sent to cover everything.I believe I trained enough and I will be ready

Whoot, back in the day they finished on 26" htails with 80mm front forks, some even with vbrakes. It's a walk in the park on 29ers these days :whistling: If you did your time in the saddle as you should've you'll make it!

Edited by Amaboepensie

I don't want to start a debate about FS or HT ,I'm going with my 2 year old Merida Big Nine 29er Stock Standard, will we make it.Anybody that did the Epic on a HT.I just can't buy a FS now,must turn every sent to cover everything.I believe I trained enough and I will be ready

29er - Check!

Had a chat about bike choices here: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/132631-bike-choice-absa-cape-epic-2014/

How do they work the cut off time out and how do you know if your team is safe.Will they tell you at the water points.What happen if you or your team mate can't carry on ?

Cut off is generally based on the winning time. Most of the time, cut-off happens around 5pm. If your partner can't make it, you get to carry on alone, but are not an official finisher. If you miss cut-off once, you get a blue number and can carry on. Miss it a second time and you go home.

Last year the only tandem in the race was fighting the cut-off almost daily and they were coming in with minutes to spare.

They completed stone last, but got their medals.

By the way, I have a fantastic mechanic that might be available at the Epic.

My boet did it on a Niner HT that he got 2 weeks before Epic in 2011, we finished ..... back half of the field riders and he was fine.

Throw some duct tape in there as well. Can use it for so many things. From wrapping a plug after a puncture to tying up a broken spoke.

Cut off is generally based on the winning time. Most of the time, cut-off happens around 5pm. If your partner can't make it, you get to carry on alone, but are not an official finisher. If you miss cut-off once, you get a blue number and can carry on. Miss it a second time and you go home.

Last year the only tandem in the race was fighting the cut-off almost daily and they were coming in with minutes to spare.

Can you pm me with the mechanic,s details thanx

I want to try and get a bike from a sponsor anybody that can give me a few pionters.The bike I need:Hard tail,slx/xt,decent wheels, a loan bike will do. Is there a hubber that can help with the marketing.

Edited by Pieterg

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone wants to book a mechanic, I have someone I can recommend.

If you're budgeting around 4K.

He will take 6 bikes only.

Email me: ride@tablemountainbikers.co.za

I am not checking this thread , so direct contact is better. Or DM me

• 4 weeks later...

There is a cut off time that is pre determined for each stage. Your time only starts when your batch starts. The organizers can extend the cut off. This usually happens when the stage winners takes more than 50% of the pre determined cut off time. Example, the pre determined cut off for stage 5 is 11 hours. The first team finishes in 6 hours. Cut off will be extended to 12 hours in this case. There will be boards up at the water points informing you of the new cut off time and the announcer at the water point will also tell you this. As far as I am aware cut off times don't get reduced.

How mutch money must we take for the trip

Day to day act.

Edited by Pieterg