Cape Epic 2014

Pieterg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am riding Arisun "Mnt Graham" 29x2.2 tyres.

reinforced sidewall, kevlar bead. Seat really well on the Crest rims and you can pump up by hand.

604g (36g heavier than the Schwalbe Snakeskin)

R380 each or 2 for R735.

Been testing them for a while and they are as good as any other tyre, but a lot cheaper.

Hi Kandui,

where do you find these tyres "Arisun "Mnt Graham" 29x2.2 tyres" ?

sounds interesting .... been using RRalph Evo and Spez Fasttrack

thanks!

Guys and girls.....a tip!!

I did my 1st Epic last year. Due to the noise, lights, heat, adrenaline I battled to sleep the first 2 nights in Citrusdal!!! I got sleeping pills from a friend and used it!! Slept like a baby! Luckily, it worked for me without any side effects.

What I suggest is....go to doctor get sleeping pills (nothing that's illegal), test the pills prior to Epic to ensure no side effects.

I really thought it wasn't necessary to take or get any, but I was wrong. I have done many Sani2C's, Cape Pioneer Trek, etc stage races.....Epic is just different!! I battled to fall asleep those 2 nights without the sleeping pills and slept poorly!

Oh, yes, I (and my partner) did finish! ^_^

Have a good Epic!!

Good luck!

Edited by Gerhardc

Team Finishline Cycles only off at 09:55:25...thats seems late? how was this calculated?

Fast boys are last.... :) the rest is random draw.

Guys and girls.....a tip!!

I did my 1st Epic last year. Due to the noise, lights, heat, adrenaline I battled to sleep the first 2 nights in Citrusdal!!! I got sleeping pills from a friend and used it!! Slept like a baby! Luckily, it worked for me without any side effects.

What I suggest is....go to doctor get sleeping pills (nothing that's illegal), test the pills prior to Epic to ensure no side effects.

I really thought it wasn't necessary to take or get any, but I was wrong. I have done many Sani2C's, Cape Pioneer Trek, etc stage races.....Epic is just different!! I battled to fall asleep those 2 nights without the sleeping pills and slept poorly!

Good luck!

A good alternative is Melatonin - you can buy it at most pharmacies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

NOTE - it only works in the dark, so don't read by torchlight and expect it to work very well... :)

It's not on the WADA list of prohibited substances as far as I can see, and you can safely do a test use of it at home.

Hi Kandui,

where do you find these tyres "Arisun "Mnt Graham" 29x2.2 tyres" ?

sounds interesting .... been using RRalph Evo and Spez Fasttrack

thanks!

I sell them. I get them from the importer. Email me at ride@tablemountainbikers.co.za

Team Tru-Cape Times off at 11.10am

Heading out there this weekend for a look at the course. Hoping to charge it.

Amped!

I think Meerendal will be packed with Cape Epic contenders on the weekend.

Count me in ;)

Weather reports please for the next 15 days!!!!!

Don't worry about the weather, it will be what it will be. Be prepared though for rain, heat, wind and cold.

Essential - riding kit... don't think it is that practical to get kit washed overnight and expect it to be actually clean... just clean enough to pack away - there are not guarantees on having it back the next day, but they have never missed for me - just not always completely dry.

Essential

Sheet

Sleeping bag

Rain suit

Some tools/pump/shock pump/lube/spare bombs/sealant/spares

1 set warm kit for overnight

Post ride kit - at least 2 sets of shorts and shirts

Ride kit - and I always pack 2 sets of wet weather gear, in case of 2 days of back to back wet weather - 3 days and life will be interesting...

Sunblock

Kindle

Backup battery to charge stuff (10 000mah) and charging cables for everything (including 2 - 3 pin adapter)

Saline eye drops in small single use containers

Bum cream

Hat for post ride

Ride nutrition - pre-packed in bags

- Don't forget a quick drying towel (those 'super absorbent' camping ones are ok, just wash them at home a couple times before the Epic, otherwise all they'll mostly just move water around on your body when drying yourself)

- Also, a head lamp. The ones with an elastic to strap to your noggin, your tent doesn't come with a light inside, and you don't wanna be holding a torch while you need 2 hands to dig through your bag.

- A small padlock/s or combination lock/s so you can safely leave your phone/garmin etc charging in the Telkom trailer (get your stuff charging asap after you finish each stage. Everybody leaves it to do on the way to dinner, bad idea). Also locks your bag's zips closed for transportation between villages, as well as your tent between stages that start and finish at the same village.

- If you left kit for them to wash, don't forget to collect it as soon as possible. it's never dry, and wont be for as long as its all bundled in the bag, hanging on the fence. If you've got it you can open it all out and hang it on top of your towel, on the roof of your tent. Here's a lil tip I wish somebody gave me. Take a few clothes pegs. You can put stuff on the roof of your tent during the stages where you start and finish in the same village, it'll be dry by the time you're back, but without the pegs, it may be in another province.

-I packed all my kit including gloves, socks and buffs in big ziplock bags (available at Westpack), 1 fresh set for each day, that way if for some reason you didn't wash a set (I had 4 sets of kit so washed 2 sets every second day), back into the ziplock it all goes after a stage so it doesn't end up stinking out your entire bag of clean stuff.

I watched the insert on Super cycling last night of the Epic.What is your take.What will you rate the Epic out of 10 for difficulty. Leave the hype factor out

Edited by Pieterg