Best tubeless method i have ever seen

Cruz Addict

I have a great trick too. Pack my bike into the car, take it to LBS and pick up the same evening.. :eek:

lazy me :-)

+ 1

Stimulating the economy and more time for beer and and and

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@rouxtjie - thanks! I will need to follow that soon as I need to start at step 8 again as after the work at the Engen this morning all my pre-invested sealant was all over the forecourt and surrounding cars.

Sealant looks bad at the best of times but when it's all over your clothes and hands and you have a happy but guilty look on your face things can be taken the wrong way... :oops:

That is the problem with these wetterse tyres....you waste so much sealant in the seating process you have to do the whole job again when you get a seat. This is why seating it with just soapy water and bombs and the sun and patience is the alternative to a compressor...

Tip for doing it at a garage with their compressor....get the bead going and seated without pouring the stan's in...take you core out....this will allow LOTS of air one time into the tyre...just soapy water. Once you have a good bead going on the tyre don't let it touch the floor and put your stan's in, and re-inflate...should be no stan's mess

That is the problem with these wetterse tyres....you waste so much sealant in the seating process you have to do the whole job again when you get a seat. This is why seating it with just soapy water and bombs and the sun and patience is the alternative to a compressor...

Tip for doing it at a garage with their compressor....get the bead going and seated without pouring the stan's in...take you core out....this will allow LOTS of air one time into the tyre...just soapy water. Once you have a good bead going on the tyre don't let it touch the floor and put your stan's in, and re-inflate...should be no stan's mess

Can you get all those little bits of stuff in the stans through the valve once you've taken the core out? I've always found that they end up blocking the nozzle for the stans bottle first and then blocking up the valve core.

I'm sorry rouxtie, but using a bomb is kinda cheating..probably even worse than having a compressor. :ph34r: :ph34r:

What i have seriously been thinking about, is converting a sodastream cannister to a compressor/reusable bomb.

Pump it up to ???6bar?? using floor pump, in your own time.

Close the valve

Screw into tyre valve, bombs away.

Geax conversion.....what a breeze.

I can get the bead seated by farting into the valve on a crest rim. The problem is if you need to take said tyre off....then you need the hulk

PS ask skills about my system....did his and his missus and jc's....in an assembly line last friday

yeah - Geax seem to be a few mm smaller than other tyers (if that is possible). Getting them on and off the rim is not a 5 minute job. I just hope I never have to do that on the trail...

I'm sorry rouxtie, but using a bomb is kinda cheating..probably even worse than having a compressor. :ph34r: :ph34r:

What i have seriously been thinking about, is converting a sodastream cannister to a compressor/reusable bomb.

Pump it up to ???6bar?? using floor pump, in your own time.

Close the valve

Screw into tyre valve, bombs away.

Now why didn't I think of this....it could work like bomb :whistling:

I have found that building up the rim with a few layers of electrical tape works incredibly well. Basically if you fit the tyre onto the rim and you can rotate it on the rim with little to no effort then you are going to have a tough time getting it to seat. You need to add a few layers of insulation tape (over the yellow rim tape) and then fit the tyre and check how easily you can rotate it on the rim. Keep on adding layers until the tyre is pretty snug and requires a fair bit of effort to rotate it on the rim, cut a hole for the valve core through the tape, insert the valve. Then soap away and pump. Once it has seated and is holding pressure then remove the valve core while the wheel is hanging up and inject sealant with a syringe that you can pick up for a couple of bucks from the farmers co-op, re-inflate wheel, hold finger over valve stem, insert valve and there you go. Works every time.

I have fitted wire bead tyres onto not tubeless rims this way and it has always been successful (and the sealant doesn't seem to affect the insulation tape even after a prolonged period of time)

Edited by jimmycool

Thanks - will definitely give that a bash next time.

Now why didn't I think of this....it could work like bomb :whistling:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/shop/image/cache/data/_MG_9867-500x500.jpg

Thanks - will definitely give that a bash next time.

Failing that....bring your wheels, tyres and stan's to my spot....will do it quicksticks

http://www.4x4community.co.za/shop/image/cache/data/_MG_9867-500x500.jpg

Noooo for real....jossos. That might just be the handiest thing ever

Where can I get one of those!!!!!?????

I have the CO2 bottle, just pipe stuff looks very custom

I WANT one!!!!!

my sodastream idea is probably not going to work.

there's a proprietray nozzle on the cannisters - http://gizmodo.com/5893653/sodamod-save-money-on-sodastream-refills-with-a-hacked-paintball-canister

luckily the paintball guys got round this, and use their own much cheaper paintball cannisters to fizz their drinks...but it requires a custom magafter itself. at $60 it's not really viable.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/xm6eq.crxg5/v/vspfiles/photos/Sodastream-SodaMod-2T.jpg?1365511183

Where can I get one of those!!!!!?????

I have the CO2 bottle, just pipe stuff looks very custom

I WANT one!!!!!

Found the pic on the 4x4 community page but the store no longer has it? So no idea unless you make one...

A bit more digging, tentco boksburg used to sell them. Not sure now but if someone finds them there let us know.