27.5" or 29" for my size

Nalith

Thanks for all the advice, tips and suggestions, think I might go back and take them both for a spin again to see how they feel =), though it's always challenging riding them at the bike shops as you do not get the full feel for the bike.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When and where is the next 'ride before you buy' event? I'm banking on this to provide the comparative opportunity.

Had my 650b for 5 months now, cost me over 35k to assemble, trying to sell it for 20k now!

At northerns the 29er going to kill, at retvlei the 650 maybe better in the wooded sections. It's up to u, but I can remember any of the 18 races I did last year not won on a 29er! The terrain didn't matter the 9er killed in xc ..

Sorry if this doesn't reinforce the decision.

What bike is it?

Isit? Waaai?

It assumes that there is a constant downward force acting on the bike (the weight of the rider). The video also assumes that both wheels remain on the ground at all times. In addition to that it also assumes that trail obstacles are square edged.

However a skilled rider will pump the terrain for extra speed, this means he will unweight his bike on the upside of an obstacle and weight the bike again on the dowhnill side of the obstacle. The obstacles in that clip could easily be bunny hopped which render the "roll over everything" moot.

Each wheelsize has its advantages and disadvantages, don't get me wrong. But you have to take riding style and rider skill into account. Take an 80kg rider on a 10kg bike, the 80kg weight of the rider has a very big influence on what the bike does, and where it goes, therefore the weight shift of the rider has a very big impact on how the bike will ride over obstacles. The video does not take the dynamic weight shift of a rider into account.

I'm one of the taller blokes at 187cm. I've always and still ride 26" however I have tested a 29er for one day. I recently purchased an old model (2009) GT Zaskar Carbon XL frame at a giveaway clearance price. I built it up with a 2 x 10 drive and I can tell you I've never had so much fun on a bike before. I really enjoy technical riding so I suppose the smaller wheel is a bonus however I finished top 30 for the Sabie Experience Solo and top 20 for Sunday's Summer Fast one mtb race passing a lot of 29er on the down and flat sections. The point I want to make is, all three wheel sizes have pros and cons however I do feel that it comes down to how you feel on the bike and personal preference. A lot of times people will buy into marketing just because the 'pros' said so but we are all different and some bike types will suit some but will be totally unsuitable for others.

What bike is it?

commencal VIP titanium

R1 brakes

ZTR creasts

XX groupie

racing ralphs.

thompson elite stem and seat post.

gobi saddle.

According to that Bergamont Video this guy would have stopped dead in his tracks, but he pumped the terrain to keep going forward:

According to that Bergamont Video this guy would have stopped dead in his tracks, but he pumped the terrain to keep going forward:

Ah, but those CX wheels are 29"........

Edited by eddy

It assumes that there is a constant downward force acting on the bike (the weight of the rider). The video also assumes that both wheels remain on the ground at all times. In addition to that it also assumes that trail obstacles are square edged.

I think the idea of the video was to illustrate how a larger wheelbase affects rolling over obstacles, and not trying to depict a real scenario. Would be interesting to see a similarly over-simplified animation of how a 26er handles tight winding single track vs a 29er

Thanks for the advice, the 27.5 and 29 cost the same at Cyclelab. One thing I keep reading is the 29" is not very agile with tight cornering, is it really that much worse? Miss the days when you only had one option for wheel size :(

26" is much better on single track and in corners than a 29er (I have personal experience of this).

Had 3 29er bikes and upgraded to a 26'' bike in November.

Oh, I am 1.92m tall and I love my 26". :thumbup:

Edited by Heinrich55

He would have had to pump twice as much on a 26er. :whistling:

</troll>

Had 3 29er bikes and upgraded downgraded to a 26'' bike in November.

^ fixed.

Like Brian said - depends on where and how you're riding. Maybe try speak to some bike shops about giving a 27.5 / 29 a spin on the trail and see what works better for you. I know Linden cycles used to offer this, not sure if they still do and if they have a 27.5 available

Those wheels are 700c with 32c tyres. Hardly comparable to a 700c mountain bike wheel with 2.2 tyres on. The effective diameter of the CX wheel with tyre is actually closer to a 650b wheel with tyre.

Point is, it is not wheelsize that got him up there, it is skill.

Pick your poison, allow your body and riding style to adapt to the bike you chose, and then, ride it like you stole it.

By the same argument, Nino Schurter killed last year on a 27.5, therefore it must be better???? Flawed logic I'm afraid.

It all comes down to personal choice. Schurter found the 27.5 to be better for him, for others the 29 will be better. You cannot definitively say that one is better than the other.

Did anyone watch the men'sXC eliminator world cup last year? The second place overall finisher and winner of the final race was on a 26er.

Enduro world series won on 26" etc. Doesn't prove anything, just that the wheel size matters not a jot - the rider does...