E-toll and your bike rack

RallyRob

......and does it correspond to the "you owe us" SMS messages?

Nope. The threat was for R220 odd. This account is for R47.16, discounted to R18.86 if I paid by the 13th of Jan. All this paper work for only a few days transactions. Probably weekly bill runs. Man I would like the toner and paper supply contract.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. The threat was for R220 odd. This account is for R47.16, discounted to R18.86 if I paid by the 13th of Jan. All this paper work for only a few days transactions. Probably weekly bill runs. Man I would like the toner and paper supply contract.

Me too but it must be cash upfront

Without proper focus on a point its highly unlikey they can read the disk from those cameras at that range.

The only way for me to believe that theory from SANRAL is to see it, they are definitely bullsh!tt!ng.

Seen the camera do its job. It can definately read your license disc!

Some of the spped camera's in use can read your license disc at over a Km while you're moving toward it. Law says they can only prosecute if you are still exceeding the limit when you are within 150m of the camera. But they have you license number from the disc or plates loooooong before then.

AS for focusing you heard of laser range finding and auto focus right?

You heard of fixed focus high resolution cameras?

Edited by GoLefty!!

Some of the spped camera's in use can read your license disc at over a Km while you're moving toward it. Law says they can only prosecute if you are still exceeding the limit when you are within 150m of the camera. But they have you license number from the disc or plates loooooong before then.

GoLefty!! out of interest, where can we read more about these cameras they are using e.g. a link or something or what is the make and model of these cams so that we can google it?

Not as long as god has got sheep... they are 3-5mp cameras at best and theres no way a lens of appropriate magnification will fit in that housing either. Those cameras also have IR filters in the front which is why they appear black.

Maybe you should go study cameras, pixels, lenses and resolution then come back.

If they could read disks, we wouldnt need numberplates.

.....and what if the disc is upside-down....their fancy electronic system might get confoesed....a 9 can become a 6, a 7 might be a 4, D can become 0.....and if the disc is situated in the top left hand corner of the windscreen (tinted part).....some seriaaaas problemo

.....and what if the disc is upside-down....their fancy electronic system might get confoesed....a 9 can become a 6, a 7 might be a 4, D can become 0.....and if the disc is situated in the top left hand corner of the windscreen (tinted part).....some seriaaaas problemo

This is exactly why I called BS as well. If you got bugs or dirt on your windscreen, you'll see fokol.

They use a form of OCR text recognition to read the plates, hence why you need plates of a legal limit in size.

If you could read disks, you wouldnt need plates to be a minimum size.

Myth busted.

post-12441-0-61878900-1389773577_thumb.png

Not as long as god has got sheep... they are 3-5mp cameras at best and theres no way a lens of appropriate magnification will fit in that housing either. Those cameras also have IR filters in the front which is why they appear black.

Maybe you should go study cameras, pixels, lenses and resolution then come back.

If they could read disks, we wouldnt need numberplates.

You seem so sure of yourself. the camera's demonstrated to me at a transport EXpo in 2011 showed camera's for the E-tolling as well as the latest speed camera's.

Using filters and some zooty software they can clean up the images just fine to read your license disc quite clearly from over a 1000m away with glare on the windscreen.

The e-tolling camera's are quite adequate to take pics of your license disc too.

the speed camera are pretty expensive so theres only three of them in the great Johannesburg area, 1in Pretoria, A couple in KZn and the Western CApe..

Believe what you like. I have seen the camera's in action. they exist and the e-toll camera's appear to do what they say it can.

the challenge they have is managing all the data they are collecting.

You seem so sure of yourself. the camera's demonstrated to me at a transport EXpo in 2011 showed camera's for the E-tolling as well as the latest speed camera's.

Using filters and some zooty software they can clean up the images just fine to read your license disc quite clearly from over a 1000m away with glare on the windscreen.

The e-tolling camera's are quite adequate to take pics of your license disc too.

the speed camera are pretty expensive so theres only three of them in the great Johannesburg area, 1in Pretoria, A couple in KZn and the Western CApe..

Believe what you like. I have seen the camera's in action. they exist and the e-toll camera's appear to do what they say it can.

the challenge they have is managing all the data they are collecting.

ok

not interested in reading all. just make sure your bike rack covers your number plate? Oh, I forgot they have made sure they can screw you from both ends.

I would think that with a 70MB image you will be able to read the license disc, but I would be surprised if you could do that with OCR (Due to all the variables mentioned above) It will make sense if it is on a per image basis, Lefty you mentioned with filters and clearing up, etc.

Agree with Lefty on the data capturing, its going to be massive amounts of data

Remember a bill was passed making it illegal to use GFIP highways without paying. That means, like a speeding fine, you have to pay.

If you don't have a number plate, remember you are no longer insured either. As a transport journalist I have also seen a demo where license disc was read from over 500m away. At a recent Dot press conference we were told that there will be a big drive to make sure all vehicles are correctly licensed. Another thing to consider is that the onus is on you as a car owner to ensure eNatis has the correct postal AND physical addresses.

My postal address is correct., if I didn't get a TAX INVOICE by registered mail, it got lost in the system and I never used the GFIP roads.

Law says they can only prosecute if you are still exceeding the limit when you are within 150m of the camera.

Either you talking nonsense or I was shafted. Cleared stated on my fine the other day xxxkm\h at 302m. So that makes my fine invalid then?