E-toll and your bike rack

RallyRob

Either you talking nonsense or I was shafted. Cleared stated on my fine the other day xxxkm\h at 302m. So that makes my fine invalid then?

There is a law governing how speed traps are managed and it is stated in there. I am not sure what the distance is but I was under the impression that it was 300m. I would love to know what law it is to have the doc printed so I could study it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a law governing how speed traps are managed and it is stated in there. I am not sure what the distance is but I was under the impression that it was 300m. I would love to know what law it is to have the doc printed so I could study it.

My last visit to the speed camera idea left me with the following:

Certain equipment has a certain calibration range, so I don't think it is written exactly into law. Your fine should state the piece used and its calibration date. - but after driving a slow car( speed limits are a challenge) for the last 3 years means my facts may be out a little.

The old stuff was 50-150 metres, this newer stuff is anything less than 400m and the fixed camera's 10m-50m.

My last visit to the speed camera idea left me with the following:

Certain equipment has a certain calibration range, so I don't think it is written exactly into law. Your fine should state the piece used and its calibration date. - but after driving a slow car( speed limits are a challenge) for the last 3 years means my facts may be out a little.

The old stuff was 50-150 metres, this newer stuff is anything less than 400m and the fixed camera's 10m-50m.

If the new camera was used then the prosecution range is further away. I'mnot sure what the distance is. I beliee it varies depending on where the camera is set up as the longer range camera's use radar or laser or IR to track. If the area is heavly wooded and its a radar camera then you can contest the fine.

the old camera's was 150m

those static camera's on poles is 50m IIRC

• 3 weeks later...

So exact same thing has just happened to me. I have 4 bike buzz rack that I had on my Mazda drifter in December, received a nice bill for a class B vehicle. Has anyone had any joy trying to sort this kind of thing out with our fiends at SANRAL?

I use the Scamral e-toll roads almost every day...sometimes with a bike rack...for free...no bills up to date...they cant see me... :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

So two months later I receive a bill for my trip to Jozi in December(19-21), I was there for 3 days and my E-Toll bill is R314.25. I have only been charged for two days of driving in Jozi, and each time I was getting hit with an avg charge of R15/gantry, I can imagine because I had a bike rack on?

I only received an invoice yesterday, almost two months after I was in Jozi, meaning I missed the deadline for reduced payments (R125), which I was supposed to have done by the 10 Feb 2014. Not sure how as? I only received the statement yesterday :eek:

This is where the fun starts with my 45min phonecall to E-Toll HQ, when I'm told that it is not there problem that the mail has taken two months too reach me, and that the reduced rate has now increased to R215. The staff are unskilled, and have idea how to properly deal with the public and questions asked of them.

So my question now is, I am not registered(and do not intend to) and I live in Cape,do I ignore or pay?

So my question now is, I am not registered(and do not intend to) and I live in Cape,do I ignore or pay?

What type of question is that? I do not compute....you already wasted money on a 45min phone call, might as well go pay them. :cursing:

So two months later I receive a bill for my trip to Jozi in December(19-21), I was there for 3 days and my E-Toll bill is R314.25. I have only been charged for two days of driving in Jozi, and each time I was getting hit with an avg charge of R15/gantry, I can imagine because I had a bike rack on?

I only received an invoice yesterday, almost two months after I was in Jozi, meaning I missed the deadline for reduced payments (R125), which I was supposed to have done by the 10 Feb 2014. Not sure how as? I only received the statement yesterday :eek:

This is where the fun starts with my 45min phonecall to E-Toll HQ, when I'm told that it is not there problem that the mail has taken two months too reach me, and that the reduced rate has now increased to R215. The staff are unskilled, and have idea how to properly deal with the public and questions asked of them.

You ignore

Pure incompetence from SANRAL and their employees. So apparently because I'm not registered, you pay 3 times the normal rate to go through a gantry, WTF :eek:

They keep trying to force me to register and give them my email address & telephone number, when I refuse then they say sorry they will just end the call.

I guess they can whistle Dixie for my money.

All "Etoll" SMS are fake! If you read there site they advise that contact will be by post or email only.

The cameras are good but from the pics I have not good enough to read a licence disk.

This is the series of pics they take every time you go under.

post-47178-0-40635000-1392792619_thumb.jpg

post-47178-0-38424300-1392792621_thumb.jpg

post-47178-0-96562700-1392792622_thumb.jpg

2 of our bikes on the back. Measures 2.8m to highest point. So far no change in classification,

Remember a bill was passed making it illegal to use GFIP highways without paying. That means, like a speeding fine, you have to pay.

If you don't have a number plate, remember you are no longer insured either. As a transport journalist I have also seen a demo where license disc was read from over 500m away. At a recent Dot press conference we were told that there will be a big drive to make sure all vehicles are correctly licensed. Another thing to consider is that the onus is on you as a car owner to ensure eNatis has the correct postal AND physical addresses.

I have not received a single bill, I also recently changed addresses and cars. So when I registered my new car I put in the new address. If the lazy employee at the traffic department does not pick up on that and change it on their system its not my problem. They can dig up my original application when I go to court and see that it was their fault not mine...

One of our cars (Fortuner) have been using the e-toll roads daily since it started on the 3rd of December and yet we haven't received an invoice yet. This is well over 2.5 months down the line and yet we've received invoices for every other car.

It is going to be interesting to see the account as there were 2 trips with the MTB and road bike on the roof.