Santa Cruz or Pyga

udxcob

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I had the same dilemma sc tb great bike with a fantastic pedigree the pyga patrick morewood factor chose pyga and I must say the pyga has something special fr me everytime I ride best described in 3 words - a stupid grin.

Good luck wth ur decision.

If you can afford SC go for it, it pedals amazingly and is super light weight, and suspension bearings last long, and easy to maintain ( I ride a Tallboy LTc)

The Pyga is much heavier, but more affordable though, and with slightly longer top tubes, you can run shorter stem for better handling vs same size SC...

You really have to ride them both, properly set-up for you with same components to pick the right one

And then dont forget the SC Heckler... single pivot alu frame which should be the same or cheaper than Pyga

Both are expensive - a Pyga 120650 with XX1 and decent wheels will be R50k - that was 2013.

I'd say Pyga if thats your price range, but get the Pascoe - you'll run out of travel quickly on the 120 mm version depending on your riding style and trails.. Local DH/Enduro guy Myles Kelsey has the Pascoe - check Vital MTB for a bike check. It looks good.

Bronson is overpriced for what you getting IMHO, TALLBOY much more versatile and better priced, Bronson you paying for the rims that's it

OP was asking which frame. Frames don't include rims.

IMO PYGA rather than the tallboy if you want the bigger wheels, otherwise Bronson :thumbup:

Edited by Sidewinder.

I disagree on the run out of suspension.

Have a look at what Mark and the guys did last year at Dirtopia down in Cpt, they even did some downhill races wight he OneTwenty.

My choice, always Pyga, great bike, supported by MTB mad local guys,

G

Both are expensive - a Pyga 120650 with XX1 and decent wheels will be R50k - that was 2013.

I'd say Pyga if thats your price range, but get the Pascoe - you'll run out of travel quickly on the 120 mm version depending on your riding style and trails.. Local DH/Enduro guy Myles Kelsey has the Pascoe - check Vital MTB for a bike check. It looks good.

Went from a Zula to a Tallboy.

PYGA I have no doubt is the same pedigree as the Zula if not better.

If you can afford it I would go with the Tallboy. It rides like a dream and comes in carbon!

I disagree on the run out of suspension.

Have a look at what Mark and the guys did last year at Dirtopia down in Cpt, they even did some downhill races wight he OneTwenty.

My choice, always Pyga, great bike, supported by MTB mad local guys,

G

Yeah dude, but that's Mark Hopkins ffs. And Theo Erlangsen. They're not exactly your average rider..

Last PYGA 650b I saw in action being ridden was a guy coming out of Revolution last week. As he rolled off the kerb @ sub 1kmh the bike couldn't make it and he went over the bars and onto his face in a heap.

Lying in the gutter it did look like a nice bike and I'm sure the 'issue' was down to 'user error' rather than rolling ability of the 650b. ;)

hehhee

ye sure, thats Mark, but in the end the bike still need to land those gaps, the suspension still needs to soak up the impact. If anything them riding their speed, prob put more load on the suspension than you and me, I'd be allot more careful, slower speeds, less impact force.

G

Yeah dude, but that's Mark Hopkins ffs. And Theo Erlangsen. They're not exactly your average rider..

hehhee

ye sure, thats Mark, but in the end the bike still need to land those gaps, the suspension still needs to soak up the impact. If anything them riding their speed, prob put more load on the suspension than you and me, I'd be allot more careful, slower speeds, less impact force.

G

In my limited experience us hackers are far more 'heavy' on bikes than more experienced and talented riders ..... They tend to be smoother and not as hard on their bikes. I could be wrong but I doubt it :whistling:

Guess a bit of both situations can occur. Depend on the rider... :) fast and heavy or slow, careful & scared.

G

In my limited experience us hackers are far more 'heavy' on bikes than more experienced and talented riders ..... They tend to be smoother and not as hard on their bikes. I could be wrong but I doubt it :whistling:

From the BikeMagic review on the pyga oneten 29er

Where’s the bottom of this Pyga?

No matter how hard we tried (yes other riders rode the Pyga), we just couldn’t get the bike to bottom out. Don’t ask me why (I’m not an engineer – no point in pretending), but what I do know is that even when running 40% rear shock sag, the rear end never, ever bottomed out. The front did, but not the back. If we had fitted a bigger-hitting fork this bike would be more than comfortable on any uplift trailer.

Full article:

http://bikemagic.com...yga-oneten.htmlhttp://bikemagic.com...yga-oneten.html

Santa cruz Tallboy 2 is flippen awesome,absolutely cant fault the bike at all .

But me id love to own a Pyga one ten29 :) flip i love it , id even settle for that lovely burnt orange one twenty 650 .

Maybe it is because it is a local south african product (yes i am aware of where its built) or because i went to college with Patrick ,but ever since my mate let me ride his old Pyga i fell in love with it , i cant comment on angle or geometries or aggressive / relaxed stances etc

I am just saying if i had the bucks to spend i know what i would purchase.

Pyga owners that i have come across are always friendly down to earth blokes.

:)